Members Rides Show off your SuperHawk!

97+ VTR in WESTERN NEW YORK!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 10:50 AM
Squid

DoctorCat is on a distinguished road
97+ VTR in WESTERN NEW YORK!

Hi all! New owner here. I've had many bikes and probably have too many right now (An 83 gpz550 in progress of a track build, a honda ruckus 50cc scooter, and now my VTR which is my reliable commuter outside of town) but I've wanted one for a long time. I've had many SV650 in various configurations of sport and standard, a tiger 800xc adventure bike, a ducati monster and this has been a bike I've wanted for a long time. I'm in love with twins and triples, and there's nothing better than a big lumpy V twin!!! I love the way this bike lofts the front end in first gear entirely on accident, and how stable it is in every other gear. I love how it has the right amount of power exiting a corner every single time, and I love that it isn't a full fairing and exposes the really gorgeous trellis frame like the first gen SV650, my favorite modern bike other than this one.

This bike started life in California, and I think I tracked down the original owner on my old forum from back when I lived in california!

Anyway.
Miles: 36k when I bought it
Mods:
Helibars
SS Brake lines
STAINTUNE high mount pipes
Ventura rack rails and bag
PAIR delete
Manual CCT (the first thing I checked when I bought it)
K&N Filter
What seems like a jet kit (since it runs harder than expected and perfect with the full exhaust system) but I haven't torn down the carbs yet. will do this winter...
and apparently a racetech front end, though again I'll have to check this winter when the snow hits and I rebuild my front end/change fork oil and get heavier springs. You can only really tell when you tear it apart, and I'd like to set it a bit stiffer.

Stuff I'm doing to it:
PUIG SLIDERS (new)
ROWE electronics PDM60 power/accessory management system
heated grips from OXFORD (it gets cold in Rochester!)
Touring screen from PUIG or ZERO G (or anything y'all recommend?!)
USB connector
Hardwired radar detector (I have a V1, but I dunno how to rig it properly or if I should bin it and get one specific to motos)
RAM MOUNT (done.) for phone as satnav (lots of confusing backroads here. easy to get lost out of gas station range)
hopefully putting on a superbike handlebar kit. The clipons are great, but I have a short torso (and long legs) so getting good reach and leverage will help.
I'll be hitting my first beginner track day in a month! Pics will abound!

Old 07-15-2018, 06:20 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the forum Cat.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:30 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Welcome on. I was born & raised in Buffalo but spent my adult life in NYC where I VTR every day year round. Get some hand guards to supplement the hot grips. Nature wins every time unless you can make a still air pocket.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:32 PM
Superstock

VTRDarren
I’m in Orchard Park if you have any interest in a front-end change. I have a cbr1000rr setup in the classifieds now :-)

The superhawk I have is track only at the moment, I need to get off my duff and get the salvage title inspection done so it can get some street miles.

Happy to hear yih you are in the VTR family.
Old 10-18-2018, 01:45 PM
Squid

putting some work in on the VTR. Tank grips, LED headlight, touring windscreen, new grips, fresh oil. Sadly it is time to put it away for winter, as it is rapidly approaching here in western NY. I'll be fixing up the fairings with some plastex and fresh paint where there are scratches or cracks from years of use.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:09 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by DoctorCat
Welcome
And a question.... the PMD60.... have you used this unit previously?
It is new to me and looks very interesting... very pricey compared to a known trusty unit like the FZ1 fuseblock I Install now but interesting none the less.

It is CANBUS compatible which is nice for the BMW crowd though unneeded for the VTR.
It says sealed and water resistant which is also nice, but again on a street bike like the VTR perhaps not required.

I dig the software interface to program though, that is a great feature and a real step above the FZ1 ...just not sure most my customers who don't need the CANBUS compatible feature will want to spend on it.

So if you have used the PDM 60 already, why? what do you see as benefits that make it worth the price to you?

Thanks
Old 10-19-2018, 11:18 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by E.Marquez
Welcome
And a question.... the PMD60.... have you used this unit previously?
It is new to me and looks very interesting... very pricey compared to a known trusty unit like the FZ1 fuseblock I Install now but interesting none the less.

It is CANBUS compatible which is nice for the BMW crowd though unneeded for the VTR.
It says sealed and water resistant which is also nice, but again on a street bike like the VTR perhaps not required.

I dig the software interface to program though, that is a great feature and a real step above the FZ1 ...just not sure most my customers who don't need the CANBUS compatible feature will want to spend on it.

So if you have used the PDM 60 already, why? what do you see as benefits that make it worth the price to you?

Thanks
I originally had intended it for use on an adventure bike, but I ended up doing my own wiring on it and then selling the bike to move cross country. I just have it laying around and wanted to try it. I haven't installed it yet. I've been waiting until winter, but I'm considering waiting to put it onto a VFR or getting another ADV/Dirt touring bike and using it there. After doing a complete wiring harness on a vintage bike, I'm pretty comfortable just using my own fuse breakout box and relays to run heated grips and a phone/nav power outlet without it.

The CANBUS bit is interesting as I had originally intended to pick up an s1000R (single R) but after moving across the country our local BMW dealer closed after the owner retired so it's not on the recent radar anymore.

At any rate, I like playing with electronics and wiring, so I may install it this winter if I'm feeling adventurous. I'll do a writeup on the whole thing (and maybe a video?)
Old 01-18-2019, 08:04 PM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
Another WNY owner

I'm a little late to the party here since I haven't logged on in quite a while... I'm in Cheektowaga and have an '02 with under 19k miles, Its nothing spectacular just a well cared for bike with a few little mods as mentioned in my signature and yes that is melting snow from the December 2nd warmup LOL. Pic taken at Niawanda park in North Tonawanda, NY.

Old 01-20-2019, 02:12 PM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
I grew up in Buffalo and began riding motorcycles there in the 60's. Had a lot of fun bombing around on a Honda CL175 in the snow ski areas south of the city. Summers were fabulous but winter came early and stayed long.
Old 03-17-2019, 04:09 PM
Squid

I'm getting ready to tour on mine this summer down to north carolina for a tail of the dragon trip. It's going to be tricky to adjust the chain along the way since I don't have a centerstand. Maybe I can stop at a moto shop in philly and do it there?
Old 03-17-2019, 07:13 PM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
Here is a couple of alternatives to not having a center stand. I have a packjack and it works great. The snapjack looks even better.
PackJack - Home.
snapjack
Old 03-17-2019, 08:48 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
You can cut a piece of 2x4 to shape and wedge it under the right side of the swingarm to lift the back wheel. Almost free and easy. Works just like the packjack above.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:01 PM
Superstock

CaryDG is on a distinguished road
I've been using a Snap Jack and Love it! It folds up to fit in saddle, tail, or tank bags. Now all my riding buddies make sure I bring it as it's adjustable height seems to fit everyone sport bike. I STRONGLY suggest using it on pavement and lock the front brake with the included strap. Don't ask!
Old 03-18-2019, 08:16 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Hi all! New owner here. I've had many bikes and probably have too many right now (An 83 gpz550 in progress of a track build, a honda ruckus 50cc scooter, and now my VTR which is my reliable commuter outside of town) but I've wanted one for a long time. I've had many SV650 in various configurations of sport and standard, a tiger 800xc adventure bike, a ducati monster and this has been a bike I've wanted for a long time. I'm in love with twins and triples, and there's nothing better than a big lumpy V twin!!! I love the way this bike lofts the front end in first gear entirely on accident, and how stable it is in every other gear. I love how it has the right amount of power exiting a corner every single time, and I love that it isn't a full fairing and exposes the really gorgeous trellis frame like the first gen SV650, my favorite modern bike other than this one.

This bike started life in California, and I think I tracked down the original owner on my old forum from back when I lived in california!

Anyway.
Miles: 36k when I bought it
Mods:
Helibars
SS Brake lines
STAINTUNE high mount pipes
Ventura rack rails and bag
PAIR delete
Manual CCT (the first thing I checked when I bought it)
K&N Filter
What seems like a jet kit (since it runs harder than expected and perfect with the full exhaust system) but I haven't torn down the carbs yet. will do this winter...
and apparently a racetech front end, though again I'll have to check this winter when the snow hits and I rebuild my front end/change fork oil and get heavier springs. You can only really tell when you tear it apart, and I'd like to set it a bit stiffer.

Stuff I'm doing to it:
PUIG SLIDERS (new)
heated grips from OXFORD (it gets cold in Rochester!)
Touring screen from PUIG or ZERO G (or anything y'all recommend?!)
USB connector
Hardwired radar detector (I have a V1, but I dunno how to rig it properly or if I should bin it and get one specific to motos)
RAM MOUNT (done.) for phone as satnav (lots of confusing backroads here. easy to get lost out of gas station range)
hopefully putting on a superbike handlebar kit. The clipons are great, but I have a short torso (and long legs) so getting good reach and leverage will help.
I'll be hitting my first beginner track day in a month! Pics will abound!

Welcome and enjoy.

Do you NEED or just wat the PDM? Or was that just what you found that will work for you?
I ask because I only use the PDM on bikes that have CAN BUS do to the PDMs high cost.

If you really want the features of the PDM then yup I get it,,,,it is nice to hook to a computer and play with settings.

If your just wanting a great fuse box that is customizable for key on or key off power, take a look at the FZ1 fuse block https://www.fuzeblocks.com/Fuzeblock...Block_p_1.html
Old 03-19-2019, 06:49 AM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
Stay with the V1 and get a factory made hard wire kit if you have doubts about the current setup that you have. The moto specific units are not in the same universe performance wise as the top brands.
Current best bang for the buck appears to be the Uniden R series. That said there is a lot to like about the V1.

Last edited by xeris; 03-19-2019 at 04:52 PM.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:59 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by E.Marquez
Welcome and enjoy.

Do you NEED or just wat the PDM? Or was that just what you found that will work for you?
I ask because I only use the PDM on bikes that have CAN BUS do to the PDMs high cost.

If you really want the features of the PDM then yup I get it,,,,it is nice to hook to a computer and play with settings.

If your just wanting a great fuse box that is customizable for key on or key off power, take a look at the FZ1 fuse block https://www.fuzeblocks.com/Fuzeblock...Block_p_1.html

I had the PDM when I had a CANBUS bike. Never installed it because I was too busy riding it.
The FZ1 would certainly be easier. When I get a CANBUS bike I can drop the PDM back in it. I'm considering a big ADV like the African Twin. I'm so smitten with Honda lately. my Ruckus and my VTR are just so damn reliable and make me smile. Thanks for the link! I'll def post a vid and pics when I do the install
Old 03-19-2019, 09:09 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

I had the PDM when I had a CANBUS bike. Never installed it because I was too busy riding it.
The FZ1 would certainly be easier. When I get a CANBUS bike I can drop the PDM back in it. I'm considering a big ADV like the African Twin. I'm so smitten with Honda lately. my Ruckus and my VTR are just so damn reliable and make me smile. Thanks for the link! I'll def post a vid and pics when I do the install
I've done a bunch of FZ1 installs, 3 of them on VTR's. Its a unit I really like so always push it to folks when they want to to do electrical add ons.

If you have any questions about the install or use, shoot me a PM.

If you need only 5 of the 6 circuits for add ons, one of my common install things is to use two circuits setting one for key on and one for key off power and use both to power the USB charging port.. Gives the rider the option to use the port selectively with bike off..but maintains the "opps" protection of Key on only in normal use.