General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

ode to the VTR

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 08:29 PM
SuperSport

jscobey is on a distinguished road
ode to the VTR

just wanted to let everyone know how things are going with the bike.

i just got home from another trackday at buttonwill raceway today. AWESOME. the mods ive done in the past 2 months deffinatley made a really impressive difference from the last time i went to the track.

i was moved up into A group and was smokinggggg people on R1's and CBR's. i really love the power plant that the VTR has to offer. finally got use to having her spun up between 7K and 9K the whole session and wow does she pull when you keep the RPM's up.

the lightened flywheel really helps her get up and GO! love that mod! the swing arm brace REALLY made such a difference in confidence. it compliments the RC front so well and felt so dman planted. no sketchy flex at all today. my new radial MC is from heaven and lets me brake alot later and alot harder in a much shorter distance. and it was great having MCCT's and knowing my engine isnt gonna explode when im at 9K. oh and a brand new set of tire warmers i got for my birthday were awesome and made the day so much more fun without having to spend half of each session warming up my tires.

its funny because my friends always talk about getting me on a newer "better" bike because they see the VTR as old and slow but who passed every one of them today? me. who was it that none of them could keep up with? me. to name a few, my friends are on 636's, ZX-10R's, gixxer 1K's, R1's and R6's. and i passed them ALL on my "old and slow" hawk. HA!

i really love what the hawk has to offer and im so glad ive gotten most of the mods ive wanted to do for a long time done. only a couple small things on my list now but all i can say is wow. i love it. everything ive done to her has really added up to make a great bike.

when i bought the hawk, i knew i was gonna end up putting money into it to make it more of a super sport type bike. but i really wanted a V-twin and ive always been a Honda guy. so the hawk fit the bill. and a little over a year later ive got the bike ive always wanted. like i said i dont think my OCMD will go away but i really love how she's turned out thus far.

many thanks to everyone here who does so much to help me and everyone else out.

Name:  image-26.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  91.4 KB
Old 03-29-2014, 08:57 PM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
Well, somebody had a good day!

And the bike looks great.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:23 PM
Back Marker

rick is on a distinguished road
Nice. Your bike is badass!
I am doing trackdays with my old ninja 250 this year. I am not good enough for a better bike.

I want to ride a big v twin at the track eventually. Ducs are not very appealing to me. Wish honda would come up with a new superhawk.

Who's trackday did you attend?

I have only ridden Thunderhill so far. Figured I will go to the same track a few times to learn riding before dealing with learning a new track. But I signed up for Laguna this APR 19 with PTT when it came for a good deal. Doing a 2 day school apr 28-29. I am a broke *** this month after I pay a CC lol.

Hopefully before end of the season I get to try Buttonwillow.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:28 PM
SuperSport

i rode with letsridetrackdays.com

great guys and its nice because you dont have to saftey wire or drain coolant and put in water wetter.

i might be going to thunderhill sometime in may. and possibly a 2 day at chuckwalla next month.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:31 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
So are you ready for the MEGA light weight flywheel now?....
LOL
Old 03-29-2014, 09:32 PM
Back Marker

rick is on a distinguished road
Most track day providers don't require safety wiring or 100% water anymore for a few years now.

Thunderhill is an awesome track. Smooth and flowy and good run off. Only downside is there is only like 2 right turns lol.

I have heard only good things about about letsride. I haven't ridden with them yet though.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:55 PM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
Hey, how good does it feel to smoke your mates on an old girl.

I know because I do it all the time.

That's the thing with our bikes, with tender care and sensible mods they rock.

Unlike modern bikes these old girls give you a meaningful return for everything that you do to them.

Like you I have OCMD and I doubt if it will go away soon.

Just returned from a ride with a couple of guys on an R1 and an R6 and they were curious on what I was riding.

I told them what I had done and one of them asked if I had a power commander, when I told him that I had carbies he was gob smacked.

Too much fun and knowing that I have done all the mods a great deal of satisfaction as well.

Your bike looks great by the way.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:04 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by E.Marquez
So are you ready for the MEGA light weight flywheel now?....
LOL

yea! aha how much $ to send you my other flywheel for lightening and ill end up selling one or the other.

what do you think is the lightest possible to go to for quick acceleration, without having any downsides? or at least very little downside.

the way it is set up now, its basically like i have much quicker acceleration without any sacrafice/change in other areas of performance.

and how much more engine braking would i get from a considerably lighter wheel. i think the one you shaved down for me is about 6 lbs 4 oz. could i go down to 5 lbs?

Kenmoore, i love zipping on by a crossplane R1. makes me feel like a million bucks.

the thing is that good suspension and brakes beats outright horsepower every time. and ive got her pretty dialed in what with the RC front, braced swinger, ohlins shock, upgraded brakes.

hoping to get her on a dyno soon and see how many ponies im pullin. also wanna try running 2 short stacks and see what kind of gains i can get on top end power. an as you can see ^ im thinking about further reducing flywheel weight althought i dont wanna go to far and have negative drawbacks. some of the guys on the UK board i guess a running south of 5 lbs flywheels!

the hawk has suprised me time and time again. im gonna have my shock rebuilt since i dont know how many miles ago it was put on by the PO. but after that then im looking at trying to get somewhere around the 130rwhp mark. so ive read that stock internals will be very reliable up till around 130 horse.

if i had to guess im making 8-10hp over stock so maybe about 118 or so. 130 would be more than enough. like i said i was leaving 200hp panigale's and s1000rr's in the dust. and with me only weighing 150lbs my horsepower to weight ratio is already at an advantage from the average

Last edited by jscobey; 03-29-2014 at 10:20 PM.