General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

anyone else own more than 1 bike?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 09:02 PM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
anyone else own more than 1 bike?

and have the problem of wanting to sink money into both. damnit, when i got the ninja i originally thought of cleaning it up and trading it for a track bike that was already done, but i rode it, and i really liked it, so i kept it. and tonite i rode my vtr, and realized how much more fun that bike is to ride, how much better it handles, stop better, and pulls like a mother compared to the little 600, so being an equal opportunity bike owner i now feel obligated to upgrade the little ninja, as it sits i bought a brembo master for it, looking at some galfer rotors on another forum, ss lines are coming for it too, ive got my superbike slicks for it, its gonna need pads but i might do a caliper upgrade over the winter, itll need new brake fluid and an oil change, the honda needs one too, need some fork oil for both, and ill try to get away with the stock suspension on the ninja for next year but i can see mysel contacting racetech and getting some 1.1 springs for it and looking for a rear shock. damn it, this addiction is way worse than crack, lol. i wish i had taken up something easier like baseball or knitting or something cheap like making paper airplanes. lol.

oh well, i guess spending countless hours in the garage wrenching on things will keep me out of trouble.

not sure what the point of this post was, oh yeah now i remember, i was looking for an ohlins dampner on ebay, bid on one that was cheap that i can make fit, and started to wonder what the hell im doing. lol. i think the smart thing to have done would have been to use my honda as a track bike as its already got brake and suspension upgrades plus a nice list of goodies and turn the ninja into a street bike, but then i remembered the test ride i had on the ninja, engine screaming at 14000 rpm through the hindle can, and i realized i cant ride a high revving bike without screaming the **** out of it because i love the way it sounds and ill end up in jail, mind you the vtr is no better but i can cruise at 6000 rpm in that and have a huge smile on my face

end late night banter.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:19 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
My first bike and current ridable bike is a shadow 600. I kept trying to mod it when it was my only one but other than small stuff like SS brake lines not too many people upgrade it for performance. Oh wait, I lied, I think there was an intake breather that promised to boost me to 42hp! At a cost of 300 bucks!

Surprised it took me so long to discover the fun of sport bikes... chose the VTR partially b/c of the non "bro" aurora that I felt in it. And I'm collecting decent riding gear to boot.

The fun part is riding around the little harley emulating shadow (very shiny!) in sportbike riding gear. I have all the basic goodies, caught in a strange dimension of irregular cultural pulls. The cruiser guys don' know whether to wave or not cause I'm in sportbike gear and the sportbike people are confused cause my feet are chillin out front like a lazy boy. So I just wave at the scooters.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:30 AM
SuperBike

haha thats funny, you seem to have an identity crisis of some sort on your hands. its a cruiser, but it has sport bike tires, it looks like a harley but youre in full gear ready to drag knee, lol.

so the big question is, did you get the breather and did you get the full 42 hp or just some of it?

ill tell you ive been part of alot of car clubs and im on a few bike forums and this one here really does have the most welcoming group of people, minus a few who are harsh to newbs, you know who you are, haha, but really this place is the most inviting family feeling forum ive been on in a long time. its like going to a lapping day and having everyone give you a hand to set up your canopy or unload your bike vs going drag racing and having people snub you. unlike most other bike forums which are jersey shore like and if you arent hanging out at a coffee shop posing for 6 hours a night youre not cool. and god forbid you ask a technical question on some forums that might make you seem like you dont know what youre tlking about or that you talk about a product they all love in a demeaning way. lol
Old 10-18-2010, 04:36 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
At the moment I have one bike and a dozen or so of partial bikes... I might get around to putting them together in some fashion once winter sets in for real... Right now I'm having to much fun sliding around on all the darned leaves....
Old 10-18-2010, 05:09 AM
SuperBike

Old Yeller is on a distinguished road
I got 3 right now. Planning to sell one, but will probably wait until next riding season.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:24 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
2 Street, 1 Supermoto/trail depending on the day , 3 Dirt only.

It only hurts when they all need parts or service at once..... Moto fund is assisted by doing side work for other riders that can not or choose not to do there own repairs and upgrades.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:58 AM
SuperBike

I'm down to just one sport quad I unloaded one. That was nice but it was replaced by the track bike or money pit #2 as its becoming known. Lol. Luckily its a Honda quad that doesn't break down
Old 10-18-2010, 06:33 AM
Superstock

Mattaua is on a distinguished road
I had one, then bought the SH and had two for about 6 months. then my wife started nagging about wanting a new washer and dryer so I sold my old suzuki and bought a brand new set of Whirlpool front loaders.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:32 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
My other bike is a '98 Suzuki DR350se dual sport...
Old 10-18-2010, 09:32 AM
I loves me twins
Superstock
Superstock

NooB is on a distinguished road
I couldn't handle two sport bikes. When I had my R6 and the chicken I'd usually just ride the Yami and after about 30 miles I would wish I took the chicken instead. So yeah, two sport bikes is just cruel. One is bound to get neglected.

Whats working well for me is the chicken and the DRZ trail bike. The trail bike is made to be beaten on, and it's durable as hell. It doesn't get many miles so maintenance is easy. The best part is the stark contrast between the two. If you get bored with one, then ride the other and get all excited again.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:16 AM
Back Marker

NH-Raptor is on a distinguished road
I bought a 2003 Kawasaki Z1000 new in 2004 (left over) and put 26K miles on it since it was my only bike. I purchased the 1999 SuperHawk late last fall and have ridden it quite a bit this riding season. The Z1000 did get used some but I did not ride it as much as usual so I agree, with two sport bikes in the family, one is bound to be neglected. That being said, I would never sell the Z1000. It's a great bike and I love that bright orange color.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:24 AM
Back Marker

slabm7 is on a distinguished road
I have the same modding disease, I got a good deal on my hawk so I have no problem putting some money into it to make it more user friendly. But I also bought a Suzuki DRZ400S, I was expecting it to be much more bike than it actually is. Not near the power I expected and also feels alot heavier than I wanted. So now I have the options of selling it and upgrading or changing carbs and a big bore kit. Either way I'm out a couple more grand to get the bike I want.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:12 PM
Squid

jsteel is on a distinguished road
I love my firestorm! But i have to admit Ive got a shed full of bikes. An 82 gl1100 aspencade as a resto project and its little sister a gl500 silver wing. next to all that there is a 98 shadow 750. And on the side is a cx 500 custom. and i also ride the bikes in my sports gear and get funny looks from the other riders. The firestorm is so much fun, more fun than the r1 i was riding for a while!!
Old 10-18-2010, 12:20 PM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
I am down to two, the Superhawk and the Ducati 1198S.

Twins are double the fun.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:44 PM
motokraft
Back Marker

motokraft is on a distinguished road
ive a coupla bikes , bit of a bike nut really

theres my everyday hawk (topbox) i decided to take the painted parts off the orange one as they were gonna get tatty as i had to retire my 650 hawk to "loaner status " as its fairly tired (theres probably 200,000 miles on it
so the orange parts are on standby if i buy another hawk 1000 maybe with some damage etc , and the blue and white bike is my retro take on a fazer thou , (its a nice drive that bike !! ) ohlins shock kteck springs , ivans jet kit , all new chassis bearings , self painted ,
Attached Thumbnails anyone else own more than 1 bike?-dsc00040.jpg   anyone else own more than 1 bike?-dsc00803.jpg   anyone else own more than 1 bike?-dsc00041.jpg   anyone else own more than 1 bike?-dsc00066.jpg   anyone else own more than 1 bike?-dsc00842.jpg  

Old 10-18-2010, 01:45 PM
Back Marker

Furrybiker is on a distinguished road
I have had the 'Storm for a year, and it still makes me grin like a mad thing. My old Kwak sits in the garden unloved, but then it has been neglected for most of its 25 years and only now does it need money spending on it (rear shock). So much for poor build quality of Kawasaki, though it is now getting a bit rusty!

Riding the GPz or ZX as you called it is very strange after the Storm, the smooth running of the IL4 at first is "why didnt I get another 4 cyl" followed in about 10 miles by "damn this is dull".

Always loved V-twins, back in the 80's my wife had a Guzzi V50, my friends had a Guzzi Spada (Just being restored) his wife had a V50 followed by a Le Mans and another a Ducati SD900.

As my wife said about her V50 and now her 1970 Beetle "They talk to you!" Strange but true.....
Old 10-18-2010, 01:46 PM
motokraft
Back Marker

oops theres the "after" pics of the fazer
Attached Thumbnails anyone else own more than 1 bike?-dsc00944.jpg   anyone else own more than 1 bike?-dsc00941.jpg  
Old 10-18-2010, 01:51 PM
motokraft
Back Marker

As my wife said about her V50 and now her 1970 Beetle "They talk to you!" Strange but true.....[/QUOTE]

lol ,, thats true of older stuff alright but the reverse is probably true of some newer stuff , i find some other modernish hondas (while top quality ) can be very lacking in any charater

classics motorcycle mechanics are making a lawson style rep from a gpz550 month by month if you see it on the shelves
Old 10-18-2010, 02:13 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

PJay is on a distinguished road
Well, one of my old mates has 350-ish bikes in the various sheds on his farm.

So I'm not all that bad - cut down from 32 a few years ago to 15 now. Have owned something like 130 in total.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:18 PM
Über Member
Superstock

justinity is on a distinguished road
My 2003 Suzuki VZ800 Marauder
Old 10-18-2010, 02:52 PM
Squid

Fatsteve is on a distinguished road
I have a few bikes in various states of repair most of them sit in a shed 300miles from me, but my main riders are the zx14, daytona T595 (that my brother mostly rides) my 919 hornet (very fun bike) and now my firestorm that i dont have any photos of.... my favorite bike of them all is the 919 its such a freekin blast to ride. Dang trying to upload pics but stupid conection is to slow or pics to big ...grrrrr
Attached Thumbnails anyone else own more than 1 bike?-zx14-daytona.jpg  
Old 10-18-2010, 05:10 PM
not-so New Member
Squid

whozit is on a distinguished road
I currently have 2 complete bikes and 1 project bike. A 2003 VTX 1800C, a VTX 1800 rigid frame project and a 2000 Super Hawk. Someone just made me an offer I can't refuse and the VTX project is headed to California in 2 weeks but that just means money for more customizing and upgrades on the others!

anyone else own more than 1 bike?-both.jpg

anyone else own more than 1 bike?-sale_items_041.jpg
Old 10-18-2010, 07:43 PM
medium fast guy
Back Marker

trackdayhawk is on a distinguished road
Been as high as 10, some parked/stored with various friends. the wife only counted the ones she saw.(4) Realized the error of my ways, now down to 5 or so, still trying to simplify things.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:20 PM
Superstock

hondavtr1000sp2 is on a distinguished road
I Had a 600 Hornet & TRX850 at the same time, then sold the Hornet & bought my Firestorm.
Attached Thumbnails anyone else own more than 1 bike?-dscf4275.jpg   anyone else own more than 1 bike?-07032009-003-.jpg  
Old 10-20-2010, 06:51 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
I also have a 1990 Yamaha DT200R dual-purpose (l/c counterbalanced six-speed with a claimed 32 hp, 10.5" travel at both ends and dual disc brakes... a bike ahead of its time... and a two-stroke!!!!). While I very seldom use it, the thought of parting with it (and the faint hope of finding another) has me hanging onto it. The main issue is lack of riding time, not desire to ride.....
Old 10-20-2010, 07:21 PM
Squid

dannyz is on a distinguished road
uchi, I have no experience with this, but will give you my 2c anyway. IIRC, you went with the second bike exclusively for track riding, since you did not want to be out of commission if you crash on the track. Correct? That's completely different than someone (like myself) who does not do track but may sometimes like to ride something else just for the fun of it - somethig completely different. An off-road, or maybe a cruiser (yeah, if I could afford, I'd probably have more than two ).
But, back to your "problem": if I was you, I'd just go with another VTR. Make one for track, one for weekdays I think this would work well in many ways. Imagine all the parts that you can swap, test before using, use in emergency, and so on... Just an idea...
Old 10-20-2010, 09:44 PM
I loves me twins
Superstock
Superstock

NooB is on a distinguished road
^^^ The man's got a point...
Old 10-21-2010, 04:37 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by dannyz
uchi, I have no experience with this, but will give you my 2c anyway. IIRC, you went with the second bike exclusively for track riding, since you did not want to be out of commission if you crash on the track. Correct? That's completely different than someone (like myself) who does not do track but may sometimes like to ride something else just for the fun of it - somethig completely different. An off-road, or maybe a cruiser (yeah, if I could afford, I'd probably have more than two ).
But, back to your "problem": if I was you, I'd just go with another VTR. Make one for track, one for weekdays I think this would work well in many ways. Imagine all the parts that you can swap, test before using, use in emergency, and so on... Just an idea...
danny if i could find another one id jump on it, problem is there are like 4 i know of in ontario, ones in a shop and two are members from here and one is mine. lol. these things are really un common to find around here. but id love to have two of the same bike

my biggest problem is the money i have to sink into the other bike to make it faster than the vtr, haha, i hadnt ridden the vtr for a few weeks and then i rode the kawi and i was like hell yeah this thing is great, then i got on the vtr and well hell yeah this thing is way better. who am i kidding i enjoy building things so this will atleast get me out of the house in the winter

looks like a real nice collection of toys on this forum, id get a cruiser as a second bike so the wife could come riding with me, but then again then id have to bring the wife riding with me, lol
Old 10-21-2010, 05:45 AM
Back Marker

vtrgeoff
I have two bikes, the VTR and a Moto Guzzi EV Touring.

Here in Ontario, insurance for motorcycles is expensive and I can only afford to run one. My riding focus has changed from commuting to touring since I retired so the Guzzi gets the nod.

That means the Honda is for sale.

Uchi, if you are interested in a clean, one owner 'Storm that is located in Ontario (near Ottawa), PM me and I'll send you details.

Pics are in my album.

Cheers!

G
Old 10-21-2010, 06:58 AM
Superstock

t-dogg is on a distinguished road
Im always a big fan of using a bike on the track that you know. I know the sh well and thats what I use on the track. I have ridin fuel injected 600 on the streets and I would be lost using one on the track. Iv'e never been afraid of wrecking the hawk on the track because I would more likely wreck a bike that I only get to ride at track days whenever I get the money to afford one. Oh yeah I have a Suzuki RM125 and a Honda XR50 Mini-Moto also.

Quick Reply: anyone else own more than 1 bike?