Knowledge Base Feedback, Questions on Knowledge Base articles.

Suggesting additions to carb removal thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 11:31 AM
Back Marker

avramd is on a distinguished road
Suggesting additions to carb removal thread

Hello,

I would like to suggest a couple of additions to the carb removal/jetting thread that would have saved me a lot of trouble if they had been in there. To summarize, a) I wish it started out with a list of parts you should order in advance, so they can be on their way to you while you contemplate the work, and b) I wish it had warned me that syncing my carbs is nearly impossible without getting an extra fitting and setting up a vacuum hose harness for the sync gauge.

1) The following parts are probably not in stock at your dealer. They cost almost nothing, but they will take a while to get to you - so you might as well order them now:
  • Gasket Kits
    • 16010-MBB-640 - "Gasket Set A" for standard carb refresh (not including separation of carbs
    • 16010-HM7-670 - "Gasket Set" - additional gaskets necessary if you really pull the whole thing apart (not needed for normal maintenance)
  • Joint boot & washer - aka "carb sync adapter"
    This is the exact same fitting that you already have going from your rear cylinder to your petcock valve. However your bike only has one, and you need two to hook up any sort of carb sync tool *(note, read below)
    • 16214-MB0-000 - JOINT BOOST
    • 90452-323-000 - WASHER (5MM)
  • Some extra vacuum hose, plugs, and a T-adapter to build a carb sync harness. Note - I don't even know the specs on these yet, I'm still at this stage. But basically you want to a) put a T-adapter inline with your petcock vacuum hose, b) add a tail to that T with a plug, and c) put in the above fitting from the front cylinder, with some matching hose and its own plug.
My humble opinion is that anybody who is going to open up their carbs should be told from moment one a) you're going to have to sync them, and b) syncing them is hugely time consuming without adding the adapter and a harness of hoses to attach the sync gauge to. Without this, you practically have to undo everything you've done putting the carbs in because the blanking bolt is not accessible. As a result, you have to sync your carbs with your bike in a dismantled state, instead of just "going for a 10 min ride and then hooking up the sync gauge" like the shop manual suggests.

Do others think this is a reasonable idea, and if so, is it possible for someone to open up that thread and add to it?

Thanks!
Old 11-05-2009, 11:48 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Well... If you use the sync tool recommended by Honda it's a snap to hook it up... The harness is complete and it's very easy too hook up...

If you use another sync tool of good quality it usually comes with adapters of different sizes and should have one for the VTR... Mine had... And I can get a carb synd done in under 10 minutes without having a pre-installed "T" or adapter...

The idea to put a list of parts in there might be nice though as it's true the shop never ever has the stuff you wan't in stock...
Old 11-05-2009, 11:57 AM
Back Marker

avramd is on a distinguished road
Well I haven't actually seen the Honda tool, but regardless of the tool, you would need to know in advance to take out that blanking bolt and replace it with an adapter while you have the carbs off. Even the shop manual does not tell you to do that.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the honda tool does not spare you the pain of having to get that blanking bolt out, right?
Old 11-05-2009, 12:28 PM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
The blanking bolt is a SOB so I would get it off and replace it with the nipple that is the same part as the one in the rear. Then hook a vaccum line to it and run it over to the vacuum line that connects the rear line to the petcock , cut the line splice in a t fitting connect everything up and you are done, sync then is a five minute job. So yes you should get the part ordered way ahead of time so it will be a one time type deal.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:23 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tweety
Well... If you use the sync tool recommended by Honda it's a snap to hook it up... The harness is complete and it's very easy too hook up...

If you use another sync tool of good quality it usually comes with adapters of different sizes and should have one for the VTR... Mine had... And I can get a carb synd done in under 10 minutes with.out having a pre-installed "T" or adapter...

The idea to put a list of parts in there might be nice though as it's true the shop never ever has the stuff you wan't in stock...
Took me 10 min just to find the dam bolt, and that was after removing the tank and air box. It was only finger tight.

+1 on the parts list before removal. A bee ate through one of those two little orange foam filters and then was laid to rest on the air filter. Looks like he got sucked onto the filter when I started it up.

Fortunately i had some T's and hose for the quick sync set up, but still need the foam filters.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:17 PM
Superstock

NCDave is on a distinguished road
Hasn't anyone made a homemade sync tool? I'm lazy, so I didn't go look. If/when I do mine, I plan to use the same length of hose I used to for my old Suzuki VX800. I used to remove the petcock line and plug my sync line into that "port". I ran it with the fuel connected to my mower tank as a gravity feed since the petcock and tank were off the bike at the time.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:30 PM
MotoGP

you are lazy. You ought to be ashamed of yourself. It's no wonder you don't even bother to turn your head to see where your going.

I just installed the vacuum fitting in the front carb, ran the tubing over to the left side, cut the other vacuum line to the rear carb, installed a T, and plugged them. Gonna put the air box and tank back and see if it runs ok.

For the sync tool, I'm just gonna take a piece of wood and afix tubing up the sides with clear packing tape, insert some 2 stroke oil and sync.

My grandson bought me a flex tool called the snake, has an LED light, a drive on each end. I put a 7mm socket on one end and a ratchet on the other so I can turn the adjustment to sync. It works with the tank off, but will be a little tricky with everything hooked up and running.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:51 PM
Speed Demon
Superstock

crackerjackman is on a distinguished road
Maybe a few pics with a write up for those of us that are visual learners and new to syncing up the carbs??? =)

Philip
Old 12-07-2009, 05:35 PM
MotoGP

just search "carb sync mod" "carb sync tool" and visit hawkriders site "SuperHawk996.net" and other threads where there are pics aplenty. I haven't synced yet, but I'm set up for it.

Don't be like NCDave, he's a poor model

Last edited by nath981; 12-07-2009 at 05:39 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:03 PM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
The first time I sync'd the carbs on my VTR I didn't want to cut the vacuum hose going to the fuel tap so I followed the procedure set out in the shop manual . It would have been lovely if I had hands and arms the size of a small lemur's. I don't and it was the path to madness. It took me about 4 hours. Cut the line. Use a T adapter. Get a vacuum hose fitting for the front cylinder.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:18 AM
Superstock

cameron is on a distinguished road
i havent synch my vtr yet but compared to other bikes(IL4) this should be easy. im getting the T for the vacum line today and will synch the first pretty day and report back. bet it takes 10-15mins.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:28 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

geekonamotorcycle is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by avramd
Well I haven't actually seen the Honda tool, but regardless of the tool, you would need to know in advance to take out that blanking bolt and replace it with an adapter while you have the carbs off. Even the shop manual does not tell you to do that.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the honda tool does not spare you the pain of having to get that blanking bolt out, right?
I just scratched my head for awhile on this one. Only found this thread when I searched for the 16214-MB0-000 part on google
Old 04-17-2011, 01:08 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Or just buy a CA bike and it comes with the front fitting already installed....
Old 04-17-2011, 01:19 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by geekonamotorcycle
I just scratched my head for awhile on this one. Only found this thread when I searched for the 16214-MB0-000 part on google
Actually, there is a very good reason the manual doesn't tell you to do that...

If you are doing this according to the manual, you should then replace the carbs, sync and once again remove the carbs to replace the blanking bolt... And then repeat, because removing the carbs makes it neccessary to sync... And loop, infinitely...

However, if you do it the way intelligent people do things... Then, Yes, swap the blanking bolt for the vaccum fitting with the carbs off, and then you only need to get your hand in there to either swap the line for a cap, or just plug the hose you have lying around... I used a cap, both here and on the "T"... Saves me the trouble of routing a hose neatly...
Old 04-17-2011, 01:55 PM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
You don't need to remove carbs to install front cylinder vacuum take off point - I did mine at UK workshop meet last month - just use hex socket with extenders to undo blanking bolt ( airbox has to come off) and install the adapter using some loctite by twisting it on on the end of some 5mm hose - 1/2 hour job

Funnily enough a week later had to take the carbs off a friends VTR (well dislodge them and move off to one side) to replace her choke cable - installed a take off whilst poking around that deep

Last edited by Wicky; 04-17-2011 at 02:00 PM.