Knowledge Base Feedback, Questions on Knowledge Base articles.

Pair Removal Effects

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 05:17 AM
huh
Squid

01-hawkster is on a distinguished road
Pair Removal Effects

What exactly does pair removal help. Does the bike run smoother, accelerate better. What are the benefits. I havent removed mine yet and have had my bike for a month and 1/2. Thanks.
Old 05-29-2008, 05:47 AM
Superstock

FTMS is on a distinguished road
Two bennifits are you get rid of a lot of pain in the *** hoses and junk under the air box so that you can get to the carbs easier. If you are running aftermarket exhaust it will get rid of the poping on decell that you hear.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:17 PM
Sexual Daredevil
SuperSport

Location: Mother Earth- orbiting around Charlotte, NC. But now over the border in S.C.
motojoe is an unknown quantity at this point
Just do it. You'll be glad you did. It wouldn't be a popular mod if it didn't work.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:19 PM
Superstock

MarineHawk is on a distinguished road
Well, it won't necessarily eliminate all of the popping you hear on decel, that just comes naturally with bigger twins. It will (unfortunately?) get rid of the vast majority of it. The only reason I wished I hadn't done it was because I thoroughly enjoyed that sound
Old 05-29-2008, 03:10 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
It will also make the exhaust run cooler because you won't have combustion occuring there (as much).
Old 05-29-2008, 03:43 PM
i support twins
Superstock

BlackHawk996 is on a distinguished road
does it do anything besides get rid of hoses and popping haha? better mpg? or anything hell i dont even know what the hell is underneath my fricken gas tank... slaps self on forehead.
Old 06-02-2008, 06:00 AM
SuperSport

haknslash is on a distinguished road
This answers all the questions you need to know https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ead.php?t=9875

I plan to do mine when in two weeks when I get back from vacation. Doing a summer overhaul on the bike (flushing coolant and all other fluids, APE CCT install, PAIR removal, wheel adjustment, etc). Should be fun and a chance to learn about the bike since I purchased it and haven't had her torn down yet.
Old 09-24-2008, 01:27 PM
Az/Texas Rider
Back Marker

cal2az is on a distinguished road
I did the PAIR mod yesterday. Its an easy and straight forward project. I didnt do block off plates, I just flipped the reed stop in both valves.

Last edited by cal2az; 09-24-2008 at 03:03 PM.
Old 09-24-2008, 02:01 PM
Back Marker

scarface is on a distinguished road
I flipped the reeds, and I didnt notice any difference in the decel popping? didnt notice any difference in anything personally.
Old 10-19-2008, 04:21 PM
Squid

jmarch305 is on a distinguished road
Help

Originally Posted by BlackHawk996
does it do anything besides get rid of hoses and popping haha? better mpg? or anything hell i dont even know what the hell is underneath my fricken gas tank... slaps self on forehead.
Good question. does anyone have any answers.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:16 PM
Squid

firehawk is on a distinguished road
Did mine recently, and yes it revs smoother,response better & less popping; however, now can't ride in the rain much because the engine tends to choke & croak on me due to the water splashing in somewhere!
Never had this with my ole zx6-d & I do enjoy riding in the rain; now with the hawk,can only ride through the drizzle instead somebody help me, please!
Old 03-30-2009, 04:40 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by firehawk
Did mine recently, and yes it revs smoother,response better & less popping; however, now can't ride in the rain much because the engine tends to choke & croak on me due to the water splashing in somewhere!
Never had this with my ole zx6-d & I do enjoy riding in the rain; now with the hawk,can only ride through the drizzle instead somebody help me, please!
Check that the routing of your tank vent tube (the snall one coming out of the bottom, the big ones the overflow drain line) so its not pinched and eliminate the OEM P-trap routing.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:53 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Water leak into the sidestand killswitch will do this as well. Member here tuned me in after I was suddenly trapped in a thunderstorm and the bike went nuts - on - off - knock a couple times then off again. It was a very interesting ride back to the shop that night. Thank God it was only 2.5 miles.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:10 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nuhawk
Water leak into the sidestand killswitch will do this as well. Member here tuned me in after I was suddenly trapped in a thunderstorm and the bike went nuts - on - off - knock a couple times then off again. It was a very interesting ride back to the shop that night. Thank God it was only 2.5 miles.
I thought it was the SS switch and put a gaiter on it and sealed it tigght. It turned out to be the tank vent line...
Old 03-31-2009, 04:25 PM
Squid

tromo01 is on a distinguished road
i see a lot of peope flit the reeds...i just pulled all the hoses and reeds then caped the intakes on the reed intake..is that ok, or should i put the reeds back in upside down
Old 03-31-2009, 06:17 PM
SuperSport

zmaniv is on a distinguished road
You have to close the port the reason that the bikes pop on decell after upgrading the exhaust is because it flows more and pulls open the reed valve.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:23 PM
Back Marker

little squirt is on a distinguished road
just flipped my reed valves and removed all the hoses. made a big difference with my devil exhaust, instead of it popping alot on decel, now it kinda just makes a gurgling sound. much happier!
Old 05-15-2009, 12:25 PM
ride it out
SuperSport

nothing is on a distinguished road
how do you :flip the reed valves" is it self explanatory once I get down in there?
Old 05-15-2009, 12:57 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nothing
how do you :flip the reed valves" is it self explanatory once I get down in there?
Follow the link in Post #7 above, it details it quite well, if you browse down in that thread Greg shows a picture of the reed valve stopper that needs to be flipped.
Old 05-15-2009, 04:53 PM
Back Marker

little squirt is on a distinguished road
yea its very easy, once you take the reed cap off the top of the valve thats held on by two bolts, there is a metal reed with a rubber seal around it, just pop the whole thing out of the valve cover. there is a single phillips screw, just take it out and flip the reed over and reinstall the screw then just put it all back together.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:05 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
That phillips head screw might be peened over depending on the year. That will have to be carefully removed without stripping the screw or ground down on the back side.