General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Physiologial effects of wheelies

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 02:13 PM
Back Marker

fundgh is on a distinguished road
Physiologial effects of wheelies

As I have had my super hawk for 6 months now, I have decided to learn wheelies. My old 600 was completely incapable of wheelies, and I was afraid to wheelie the RD350 so I don't have much experience on one wheel. I have gotten the unintended loft from both the RD and the Hawk while under acceleration but nothing near the balance point, and nothing abrupt. So I have been practicing from the beginning. First gear baby wheelies, just twisting from a slow put put, or throttle off/throttle on. No clutch involved. Sometimes I get greater results than others, and I am afraid to move on until I can consistently pull it up in first. What I have noticed though is that the acceleration that results from grabbing so much throttle seems to affect my head. I feel pressure, (especially if it doesn't pop up) as the bike accelerates rapidly through the Rev range in first gear. After spending 15-20 minutes out on a deserted road, I almost felt car-sick, and can only attribute it to the sudden acceleration on the inner ear. Anybody else experience this or find it hard to learn wheelies because of the rapid increase in perceived speed. I feel like it is a mental barrier that I need to make it past. Anybody have any tips?
Old 07-09-2007, 02:17 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
Stop, Quit, Don't do it anymore...J/K
Old 07-09-2007, 04:41 PM
Superstock
Superstock

wyldryce is on a distinguished road
Crack a beer. Really. You'll find it wheelies a LOT easier after a slight bit of your inhibitions are knocked down. I am NOT advocating getting drunk and riding. Rather, just trying to get you over your probably hypersensitive sense of self preservation. Hopefully people don't take me too seriously...drinking and riding is flat out dumb. But so are wheelies (but fun.) Wheelies are just easier when you are a little more ham fisted. Thats why doing things drunk can get you into trouble in the first place (both with the law of the land, and the laws of physics) I know what you are talking about though. When I first got my first fast bike years ago (Ninja 1000r) it would make me a little sick to my stomach to roll into the throttle, it seemed to pull so hard. Its all a matter of getting used to the torque. Your internal accelerometer has to get used to it.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:51 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
I have to agree that wheelies are lot easier to do leaving the bar than while driving to it. Since I promised to my girlfriend that I'll leave the bike home to go for beer because I usually stop for one or two and when friends shows up I have a hard time backing off the drinks. So I have to practice to be as good in a more sober state.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:21 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Bad Boyz, Bad Boyz!
Old 07-09-2007, 07:18 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Originally Posted by nuhawk
Bad Boyz, Bad Boyz!
They said bar man, not strip club!!! Geez
Old 07-09-2007, 08:15 PM
MotoGP

Greg says not even one! That's kinda my motto too. How many wheelies you done in the last few months that have been above 9 o'clock? Thought so! Come on now, the dirt bikes don't count.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:19 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Generally, yes. I'd prefer not to drink even one beer and ride. I made that statement prior to the SHOG Rally based on the roads in the area. In town with not as many turns and less concentration required to keep it on the road, I have been known to have the same number of beers as I have wheels and have never had a problem. But I weigh in at 225# so......

WRT wheelies and disorientation or strange feelings, I've been doing this too long to really have any of those. I really do get one helluva rush pegging it in 1st gear on the 1000RR though.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:07 PM
Superstock

nineighthawk
I get sick if I don't do some wheelies while riding my hawk..

It must be the color.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:22 PM
B R
Back Marker

B R is on a distinguished road
I have the same problem, which happens to me if I just accelerate from a stop very quickly. It started with my Ducati that I got over 10 years ago. I found the only solution for me is to accel fairly gradually from a stop, which means no drag racin for me . Fortunately, wheelies are not a problem.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:01 AM
Post Whore Junior
MotoGP

Cleveland is on a distinguished road
I kinda like the head rush thing from hard acceleration.. I thought that was the point? Blood pressure rise, adrenaline pump... Kinda like sex.. BTW, since I mentioned it. I get this funny feeling right towards the end of sex, kinda like goose bumps but all over, but alot more intense.. then this funny smelling fluid comes out of my ..thing.. how can I avoid this?
Old 07-10-2007, 05:29 AM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Cleveland
I kinda like the head rush thing from hard acceleration.. I thought that was the point? Blood pressure rise, adrenaline pump... Kinda like sex.. BTW, since I mentioned it. I get this funny feeling right towards the end of sex, kinda like goose bumps but all over, but alot more intense.. then this funny smelling fluid comes out of my ..thing.. how can I avoid this?
Old 07-10-2007, 03:53 PM
Back Marker

Otto Man is on a distinguished road
I think you just gotta get used to it. I know it hasn't changed at all, but my 'hawk doesn't feel fast to me anymore compared to the first day I drove it home and whapped on it in 2nd to redline. I don't do power wheelies anymore. After you get the hang of it, I find clutch wheelies much easier to do. With 1 tooth dropped in the front, I can hit balance point from about 10mph and ride it out to redline. I'm working on getting 3rd gear wheelies down, and figuring out a semi-comfy way of standing on the back pegs while doing it.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:09 PM
Superstock

Jeepingoose is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nuhawk
Bad Boyz, Bad Boyz!
Whatcha gonna do, whatcha gonna do when they come for you...
Old 07-10-2007, 05:51 PM
Back Marker

jamesvtr is on a distinguished road
i find 2nd gear is easier first is just to short your up for a second then your down in second if you hit balence piont you can hold it for ever or until there is traffic
Old 07-10-2007, 06:03 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Jeepingoose
Whatcha gonna do, whatcha gonna do when they come for you...
I'm going for the Superhawk but I won't be doing wheelies out of town - the only thing anybody will see will look like something out of the movies. "But he was here a second ago. . . "
Old 07-11-2007, 11:50 AM
Squid

westcoast is on a distinguished road
Wheeles outta town up the hill were too much fun. Couldn't resist.