Knowledge Base Feedback, Questions on Knowledge Base articles.

front fork swap pics

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 04:41 PM
Back Marker

jeephawk is on a distinguished road
front fork swap pics

Yo. Doing some reading up on the front fork swap. Looks like alot of people here do the 900rr swap. USD. or GSXR swap.....
Im a taller rider. Right now Im running stock forks with 1" rise bars.
Everything clears the fairing fine now.
What I am wondering is if anyone here has done or knows of a good donor bike to look for in the right fork so I can still run 1" or possibly higher and still keep me not rubbing..... All this and using donor parts only. No aftermarket if I can do it.
Also I want to do the 6 spoke route too.
It looks like I should maybe go the 900rr route? but Im also 220 lbs and I have read that the 900rr forks are pretty weak in the spring department.
Lastly I love the Superhawk but basically I want to kind of update it.
It would be nice to have the newest forks design that works well... actually newest suspension/brake designs added to the SH frame/engine.
Not asking for much right!
Lastly. If there are any riders here with big feet.... Where did you get your boots? Ive got 15s and I cannot find any 3/4 shoe/boot in this size.. Any leads? Thanks.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:10 AM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
I did 2004 GSX-R600 forks. Length is correct. Upper steering stem bearing was different but available. I went with the superbike bars, so you can make them as tall as you want.

https://picasaweb.google.com/UglyGre...eat=directlink
Old 08-29-2011, 06:32 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Basically you are looking for the impossible...

You can find several options of forks that work in length, USD or otherwise... CBR 929/954/1000RR, GSXR, CBR 900RR, RC-51 (SP-1 & SP-2)...

All of them are long enough to get the geometry of the bike correct, and that's it... No fork out of all of them is long enough that you can stick only donor parts on there and have the donor clip-ons clear all parts of the fairings, and sit about 1" higher than unmodified stock parts, where you are now... Most of the clip-ons from the donor bikes are positioned lower than stock...

But any choice of fork you make, a simple set of adjustable clip-ons works, for making the clip-ons sit where you want...

The various Helibars will in the right combination with the fork you choose make the clip-ons sit at stock position, or a bit higher... Buying them new is expensive, and finding them used is rare and a time consuming effort...

ConvertiBars or similar with a lot of adjustability lets you put them just about where you want...

The same goes for superbike bars and risers... Combine the right parts, and you can put the handlebars rigth where you want them, and clear all parts of the fairing with a bit of work... Or trim it, and put them where it's comfortable...

So, select whatever fork you want, and spend money on one aftermarket part (or group of parts), and you get what you want... Simple as that...