Knowledge Base Feedback, Questions on Knowledge Base articles.

HELP! knocking noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 08:02 PM
Squid

996vtwin is on a distinguished road
HELP! knocking noise

hey guys i was riding last night when out of no where my engine bogged down and then sounded like shaking a tin can full of bolts... it has oil in it, and it wont crank over. i manually turned the engine over by the tire but it was extremely difficult even in 6th gear... and the scraping sound was there... any suggestions tips or feedback would be GREATLY appreciated. if its blow i would be selling for 2 grand its a 99 very good cond. black and red color with 23xxx. bone stock
Old 09-11-2011, 08:11 PM
the boss
SuperBike

saige is on a distinguished road
well,from what you're saying,could be cct failure.
if thats the case,valves hit the pistons.it would be done for,but this is ofcourse if you did hear ting and tang when spinning the motor manually.
but this is a guess,you would have to really get in there and check.
from what you say,its not too good.
start with taking the valve covers off.work down from there.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:31 PM
Squid

darkember is on a distinguished road
Very much like it is the cct failure & it will most likely be the front cylinder. From what you explained it was unfortunate that you tried to restart it. I'm guessing at best you will have bent at least both inlet valves & possibly the exhaust ones as well.

First op to do here is to drop the oil & sump & check for any major metal chuncks & check the big ends are ok. If no chunks are found then you need to tackle the offending head starting with the front which can all be done with the motor still in the bike. Cheapest is to buy a second hand one off ebay from a crashed/breaking machine.

The job on the whole is not too difficult as long as you follow the correct sequence use the following site for assistance. There you will find a load of **** hot savy dudes that know far more than the Honda maindealer mechanics & are always willing to part with their knowledge.

VTR1000.org

Finally, when you do the rebuild make sure to fit manual CCT's to prevent this from ever happening again