Knowledge Base Feedback, Questions on Knowledge Base articles.

Front cam cover removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 11:15 AM
Squid

Iron Crotch is on a distinguished road
Front cam cover removal

Hi,

I was trying to remove the front valve cover to check the timing since I think the cam chain might have jumped a tooth when replacing the cct, plus the bike dies at idle when it warm (over tightened the front cct), so I wanted to check timing while I was going to reinstall the front cct. I got the fairing, tank and airbox off, moved the oil cooler foward, and most difficult of all got all 4 screws off the front cam cover. But it will not slide out, I can raise it a bit and see that the timing mark FE and FI are not lining up right, but not enough room to work the chain off the sprockets to adjust it...Anything I might have done wrong? And is there an easy way to unscrew the cam cover bolts? took me about an hour to get the top one's off! I am now thinking of removing the carbs so the I can access it easier, but it after looking at the manual it seems a pain also...
Old 07-24-2010, 11:46 AM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
it should come off after moving the oil cooler - it does need to clear the pins & it is a 'tight' fit... keep working on it.

tim
Old 07-24-2010, 11:56 AM
Superstock

spladle160 is on a distinguished road
It will come out, it takes a little wiggling and some pulling but it will come out. Those head cover bolts are annoying, wait til you try to get them back in. I use 2 2" (3"?) extensions to a swivel to a 10mm deep socket and go in over the hose, this leaves the head of the ratchet right up against the steering head. Good luck adjusting your timing chain, I had to take the cam holders off and pivot the cam so the gear would go down and in then adjust however many links forward or backwards then put the cam back and tighten it to check it. Check the manual for how to ensure your at tdc compression to align the gears.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:27 PM
Squid

Could the cam lobes pointing upward keep me from removing it? Because I've been pulling, wiggling it and it doesn'T seem to want to come out...
Old 07-24-2010, 12:29 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by spladle160
It will come out, it takes a little wiggling and some pulling but it will come out. Those head cover bolts are annoying, wait til you try to get them back in. I use 2 2" (3"?) extensions to a swivel to a 10mm deep socket and go in over the hose, this leaves the head of the ratchet right up against the steering head. Good luck adjusting your timing chain, I had to take the cam holders off and pivot the cam so the gear would go down and in then adjust however many links forward or backwards then put the cam back and tighten it to check it. Check the manual for how to ensure your at tdc compression to align the gears.
If there's no pressure on the chain once the cct is removed, wont I be able to lift the chain and rotate the cam one or two teeth?
Old 07-24-2010, 12:39 PM
Superstock

probably not you would need a lot of slack for that.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:52 PM
Squid

probably not you would need a lot of slack for that.
By cam holders, do you mean this part with the 1 bolt in it?

http://img260.imageshack.us/i/sprocketloosecd0.jpg/
Old 07-24-2010, 04:26 PM
Superstock

No that's not actually what I meant I meant the covers that actually hold the cams in. That is a lot of slack, I would definitely try to just slip the chain first (assuming it is out of time). Good Luck, and don't over torque those 4 head cover bolts they are not easy to get out when the snap off in the head.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:41 PM
Squid

No that's not actually what I meant I meant the covers that actually hold the cams in. That is a lot of slack, I would definitely try to just slip the chain first (assuming it is out of time). Good Luck, and don't over torque those 4 head cover bolts they are not easy to get out when the snap off in the head.
Thanks for clearing that up, now the other issue I have is the damn crankshaft hole, I probably over tightened it last time and now managed to strip it. I'll have to order a new one monday and to chisel out the stripped one!

Thx for your help
Old 07-24-2010, 08:22 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
If the crankshaft bolt cover sticks, got at it with a torch. A propane torch on the cover around the bolt cap will free it right up.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:23 AM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
The crankshaft hole cover is made of grey cheese. It can can strip easily if the cover is seized. The cover can seize even if it's been greased. I loosen and snug it up every time I wash the bike.
Use the chisel to get the thing to rotate rather than to cut through it. I ended up pouring boiling water from a kettle on the stator cover while I held a rag over the crankshaft hole cover. I was fed up enough by that time that I didn't care if I cracked the stator cover. In any case, the stator cover didn't crack and I was able to get the cover to rotate by using a chisel and a hammer. I lack autoteach's experience and skill with a propane torch.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:34 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by autoteach
If the crankshaft bolt cover sticks, got at it with a torch. A propane torch on the cover around the bolt cap will free it right up.
Never really used a torch, but there's one sitting in the garage, I'll try to chisel it first, and if it doesn't work I'll probably torch it, but wont it cause the paint to chip on the stator cover?
Old 07-25-2010, 08:36 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by comedo
The crankshaft hole cover is made of grey cheese. It can can strip easily if the cover is seized. The cover can seize even if it's been greased. I loosen and snug it up every time I wash the bike.
Use the chisel to get the thing to rotate rather than to cut through it. I ended up pouring boiling water from a kettle on the stator cover while I held a rag over the crankshaft hole cover. I was fed up enough by that time that I didn't care if I cracked the stator cover. In any case, the stator cover didn't crack and I was able to get the cover to rotate by using a chisel and a hammer. I lack autoteach's experience and skill with a propane torch.
The first time I took it off it was so easy I was amazed that it wasn't tightened more than it was. Definitly give the hot water a try before the torch since Murphy's law usually applies to me...
What size chisel did you use?
Old 07-25-2010, 10:00 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Been there, done that...... a chisel does work well in removing it. If you are buying a new one, don't forget to get a new "o" ring also. Then don't over-tighten it when you install it and use some anti-seize on the threads.

Front cam cover removal-004.jpg
Old 07-25-2010, 11:59 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
Been there, done that...... a chisel does work well in removing it. If you are buying a new one, don't forget to get a new "o" ring also. Then don't over-tighten it when you install it and use some anti-seize on the threads.

Attachment 9716
LoL looks just like mine, havent tried the timing hole one yet...probably over tightened it also, i'll go try in a bit. Good call for the o-ring I'll be sure to order it as well.
What size chisel did you use? Did you managed not to hit the stater cover?
Old 07-25-2010, 05:46 PM
SuperSport

You might get lucky with the timing hole cover.
If I recall correctly, I used a chisel and a punch and a big hammer (BFH) on the crankshaft hole cover. The hole cover is about 3 mm. thick at the edge. It's about 6 mm. thick where the bevel begins as shown in 8541hawk's photo. The chisel was 3/4" wide but width isn't critical. The punch I used was about 5 mm. wide at the tip. Take your time. You want to be sure that you've got a deep enough groove in it so the tool doesn't slip when you really wallop it. You'll get better leverage close to the edge but your chances of buggering up the stator cover increase too.
The chisel and punch method may work without heat.
The stator cover is about $154 from BikeBandit.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:39 PM
Squid

Well the timing hole cover came out without any problems...
On another note, why did you use a punch? to hit the chisel? I have to go buy a chisel, so might as well get a punch if needed...
Old 07-25-2010, 09:24 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Iron Crotch
LoL looks just like mine, havent tried the timing hole one yet...probably over tightened it also, i'll go try in a bit. Good call for the o-ring I'll be sure to order it as well.
What size chisel did you use? Did you managed not to hit the stater cover?
I just used a chisel. As you can see from the pics I had to try in a couple places to get a good bite and get it to turn. I didn't hit the stator cover or cause any damage to it at all. Also the chisel was around .5" or so.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:41 PM
SuperSport

I used a punch because I could control it better than a chisel and I thought it was less likely to slip when I hit it with a hammer.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:07 PM
Squid

Well just went to the dealer to pick up the crankshaft hole cover, and yet amazed again at the competence of the guy at the parts department... he ordered the wrong part, hopefully it will be in friday!
Old 07-29-2010, 02:17 PM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
Order through Ron Ayers. They have the parts on-line and it beats going to the dealership.