Forum Feedback Post tips, comments, problems, requests pertaining to the Forums.

CALLING ALL CRITICS & HATERS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 06:51 PM
Squid

lean'r~N~prgrss is on a distinguished road
CALLING ALL CRITICS & HATERS!!!

as the heading of the thread clearly says, thats what i'm looking for.
all opinions and ideas are welcomed....and haters can hate.
this my rebuild and fabrication i have completed so far.
as is engine has been completely rebuilt(seals,gaskets,bearings,valves & guides,&cam chains).
mods are JE pistons(11.5:1 comp ratio),ape manual tensioners, three angle valve job,and i had my stock cams welded up & regrounded to stage1 moriwaki specs...and i fabricated a 1000rr tail fairing to fit. as well,i fab'd up the undertail exhaust as well as a homemade can. couldn't find anything aftermarket that would fit. and as for cosmetic...in the pic you can see the green tape,i marked off the line on the fairing,that the white stripe will continue on the bike tail section,& tank. everything between those two marked line will be white and everything else will be black. i also thought that a white tire hugger(maybe with a lil fabrication) would look good as well. let me know what ya think.
oh...and thanks for all the info i have got off this site,it has helped me out on epic levels.
Attached Thumbnails CALLING ALL CRITICS & HATERS!!!-img_0365.jpg   CALLING ALL CRITICS & HATERS!!!-img_0356.jpg   CALLING ALL CRITICS & HATERS!!!-img_0363.jpg   CALLING ALL CRITICS & HATERS!!!-img_0358.jpg   CALLING ALL CRITICS & HATERS!!!-img_0354.jpg  

Old 07-18-2010, 06:58 PM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
You might consider reversing your color scheme as the seat is black (unless you do some upholstery to make it white). That way your scheme will carry through.

The pipe is interesting, be great to see how it runs. I think I would have got the motor running on a stock set then put that on to see what it does to it. Overall I think it looks like a great project and can't wait to see the finished product.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:24 PM
Superstock

pigwings
Looks great. A lot of nice work.
Gonna dyno it?
Old 07-18-2010, 07:31 PM
Squid

lean'r~N~prgrss is on a distinguished road
deffinitly, once the madness of modding is over.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:35 PM
Back Marker

Red_Liner740 is on a distinguished road
i dunno how well the bike is going to run with such a huge difference in runner lenght....but man was a clean bike...its gonna look nice!
Old 07-18-2010, 08:53 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Red_Liner740
i dunno how well the bike is going to run with such a huge difference in runner lenght....but man was a clean bike...its gonna look nice!
Have to give a +1 to this. While the exhaust does look good, I think it will cause you quite a bit of problems with tuning and also a big power loss even if you do get it to run.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:37 AM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
The exhaust is the only part I'm not crazy about. Gonna be LOUD! Personally, I would have looked for a thin oval can to put under to compliment the shape of the tail. A Jardine dual outlet like they offer for the 600 and 1000s.

That's me though.

Good looking bike. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:45 AM
SuperBike

Old Yeller is on a distinguished road
the tail section looks too long, particularly the rider seat.

It seems like the exhaust under the engine is sticking out pretty far. is it going to scrape down first in corners?

I applaud your efforts!
Old 07-19-2010, 06:02 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Erik S.
The exhaust is the only part I'm not crazy about. Gonna be LOUD! Personally, I would have looked for a thin oval can to put under to compliment the shape of the tail. A Jardine dual outlet like they offer for the 600 and 1000s.

That's me though.

Good looking bike. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.
Why go aftermarket? The stock can for the underseat exhaust for the 600RR & 1000RR should work... It fits up there snug, looks good, and since it's made to dampen a screaming IL4 I'm pretty sure it's be unable to completely silence a barking V-twin...

Originally Posted by Old Yeller
the tail section looks too long, particularly the rider seat.

It seems like the exhaust under the engine is sticking out pretty far. is it going to scrape down first in corners?

I applaud your efforts!
I agree, the tail looks long... Could be perspective, but the way it looks you will need a very light pillion rider unless you plan to wheelie all the way... It looks like there is room at the front edge of the tailfairing to move it forward? Any particular reason (fitment issue?) that it's so far back?

Another note... If you go though all this trouble upgrading the engine... Why on earth do you stick the stock forks back on there?! Are you using stock brakes as well?

They are sub-par with a stock engine, they really won't be any better once you have more ompf to propel you into and out of corners... At the very least stick new forksprings/GW and CBR calipers on there... But even better, an USD fork of some sort...
Old 07-19-2010, 06:06 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
BTW I just compared my sig pic to yours... On my bike the riders saddle ends in the first half of the rear wheel and the pillion sits above the rear axle...

On yours the riders saddle ends at the rear axle and the pillion sits behind the rear axle...

That's not good physics...
Old 07-19-2010, 06:39 AM
Superstock

pwshadow is on a distinguished road
I think you should put a really long swing arm and a big fat rear tire on that beast.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:45 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Tweety
Another note... If you go though all this trouble upgrading the engine... Why on earth do you stick the stock forks back on there?! Are you using stock brakes as well?

They are sub-par with a stock engine, they really won't be any better once you have more ompf to propel you into and out of corners... At the very least stick new forksprings/GW and CBR calipers on there... But even better, an USD fork of some sort...
Well I didn't want to say to much on my first post but do agree 100% and don't forget the fork brace if you run the spaghetti legged stock forks also you might want to look into bracing the swingarm as the new motor will twist the stocker pretty good.

Originally Posted by Tweety
BTW I just compared my sig pic to yours... On my bike the riders saddle ends in the first half of the rear wheel and the pillion sits above the rear axle...

On yours the riders saddle ends at the rear axle and the pillion sits behind the rear axle...

That's not good physics...
I didn't even notice how far back the tail was the first time I looked, must be getting old but yeah that might cause a few problems..... well unless you have really long arms and need the extra room...
Old 07-19-2010, 03:17 PM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Just_Nick is on a distinguished road
A 600rr or zx6 can would work better.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:34 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
Just a note on the cbr 600/1000 oval cans. I did some research on this, as my exhaust is dual undertail. My exhaust has almost 1.5" more clearance and the tire has hit the exhaust. This is going to be a problem. as for your exhaust, I dont envy the tuning that you will have to do. If you know what carb syncing does to balance how a bike runs, you will understand how a bike that has two different power output level will effect its running.

Good luck with that. If you want to try a 600 rr, I can send you one. Start thinking about your battery, R/R, and other electrical components. I have my R/R mounted up in the right front fairing where it gets good airflow (this after melting one). and the battery was a tough job, and still not desirable. If you can, get a speedcell type battery.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:23 AM
Squid

flyinbrian24 is on a distinguished road
You need some help on your welding,not hatin' just being honest. It's what I do for a living.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:17 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
I like the bike but it is a little comic bookey with the double lenth tail and exhaust. I want to eventually do an underseat exhaust but it seems dual cans would really help the tuning. Not a big single muffler fan. CBR600f2 huggers can be modded to fit and are cheap and plentiful

Hey autoteach, can you post pics of your exhaust set up?
Old 02-04-2011, 06:23 PM
erno
Back Marker

erno is on a distinguished road
Tip my hat to you mate, well done.
With the exhaust how much do you want to spend.
Mario has everything for the vtr,has a nice setup for pipes.
Underseat type(ducati style) with a R1 tai,one of our guys has a set on his streetfighter looks and sounds tuff

http://web.tiscali.it/mario_nava/vtr1000_racing_e.html

Name:  DSCF0663.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  236.1 KB
Old 02-21-2011, 08:32 AM
Back Marker

kj4kym is on a distinguished road
is the front wheel 2 different colors? .... i like it
Old 02-21-2011, 10:28 AM
MotoGP

Is that one small radiator on the front? Does that possibly work?
Old 02-21-2011, 02:30 PM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Nice looking 'fighter. Wish it was mine.

Like someone else wondered... is the single radiator enough to keep a Super Hawk cool?
Old 02-21-2011, 03:18 PM
MotoGP

Someone else?
Old 02-21-2011, 08:30 PM
erno
Back Marker

erno is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
Custom radiator job,he has had no problems with it.
And yes he has painted the front wheel 2 colors

Forgot to mention this is what it looked like before the original owner had a off.
Some of you guys might remember it

Last edited by erno; 02-22-2011 at 12:24 AM.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:24 AM
BBB
Good Root
Squid
Squid

BBB is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
I use a slightly modded RHS rad and have shoe horned 3 x 80mm fans behind it.

The only issues are the lack of capacity, i.e. the temp will rise quicker than with the 2 rads, and the clearance between it and the front wheel.

I made sure that the rad was mounted as high as possible and then added the heavier springs to stop the front diving as much.

I'm eventually going to fit a rad under the seat, just need to find a reason to do so.

Boris