Knowledge Base Feedback, Questions on Knowledge Base articles.

1ST TIMES A CHARM!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 05:24 AM
Squid

MILKMAN65 is on a distinguished road
1ST TIMES A CHARM!!!

Well, it finally happened, it's just a matter of time, and my time ran out, I wrecked last night on the way home.. it was a low speed high-side, oddly enough my left-fairing and winscreen snapped, front-brake lever is trashed, and right-side oem-rearset is cracked in half. The only thing I hurt was my pride! Wanted to see if anyone had any of these parts for sale? I also ride in full gear, and want to say, we all should, everytime, even to go around the block once on a test ride. Not trying to preach, just want to see everyone riding, and riding safe. Please PM me on any parts for sale. Thanks
Old 04-13-2010, 07:23 AM
Back Marker

JDRiderCoach is on a distinguished road
Gald your ok and + a million on the AGATT. I sold most of my extra parts or I'd glady give you them for free. Now I need details. Any idea what caused it? Not looking to blame, just always curious about crash details. In my role as MSF instructor, I preach the philosophy that all crashes can be avoided, even ones that are technically not your fault. There's always something the rider could have done differently leading up to the crash, even if it meant staying home that day. Not like you can predict when you'll crash, just wondering how it could've been avoided. I'm hoping details on yours will shed light for the rest of us. Thanks for sharing and again, glad you're unhurt (physically).
Old 04-13-2010, 07:56 AM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
I disagree

I'm sorry to hear about your incident. Notice I say incident rather than accident, as there is no such thing as an accident. There can be a confluence of events that can make crashing unavoidable but rarely so.

It is NOT however a matter of time that one will have an incident.

It is also the wrong attitude to have.

Every year the first few rides I first find an empty parking lot and go through my drills; checking myself and the vehicle out before continuing; and am ready to head to my shop if we don't pass muster. I've done this for the last 25 years out of the 37 I've been continually riding, and have been incident free for the last 20; knock on plastic.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:44 AM
Squid

I had a wasp fly into my hemet and the proceeded to sting me numerous times. Not something that has happened often to me, although we all deal with insects on most rides. Usually it's not a panick city-moment for me. I went to pull over, and tried to lift my visor the rest of the way (hoping the wasp would fly out) and grabbed a handful of front brake.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:49 AM
Superstock

spladle160 is on a distinguished road
that sucks, sorry to hear that. I know with big bugs it seems like the more you try to dodge the more they seem to hit you. the worst I can remember was the cicada hatch a few years ago, and a wasp that stung my adams apple while mountain biking. I hope you get back to normal soon.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:08 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
did it go up under or did you have your sheild open? I've been using a NOJ Quiet rider for approx 8 years for a bee sting allergy. Actually on my second one since i got a new helmet. Would have more than paid for itself in this case huh?
Old 04-13-2010, 10:33 AM
Squid

Thumbs up

I am fine, just a little sore, just amazed at how well my gear performed. My Suomy helmet took the brunt of the impact, and I will be replacing that. Thanks for all the good-will and positive comments, this is an awesome forum.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:22 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by MILKMAN65
grabbed a handful of front brake.
As Homer would say "DOH!"
Old 04-13-2010, 06:37 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by skokievtr
I'm sorry to hear about your incident. Notice I say incident rather than accident, as there is no such thing as an accident. There can be a confluence of events that can make crashing unavoidable but rarely so.

It is NOT however a matter of time that one will have an incident.

It is also the wrong attitude to have.

Every year the first few rides I first find an empty parking lot and go through my drills; checking myself and the vehicle out before continuing; and am ready to head to my shop if we don't pass muster. I've done this for the last 25 years out of the 37 I've been continually riding, and have been incident free for the last 20; knock on plastic.
You're are correct that not every rider will crash, but since we are the most vulnerable vehicles on roads biased toward larger vehicles in terms repair methods and debris, there is a high probability that we will crash. Add to this animals and other hazards that seldom cause injuries to occupants of larger vehicles that wreak havoc for motorcyclists.

You're also doing a good thing by checking your skills and your equipment religiously. However, we all ride for different reasons and consequently in different ways. While a rider who stays conservative(below 75% say) may get by unscathed, someone else who typically rides over this % is at significantly greater risk for what you call an incident, and I fall into the latter category. I ride to the beat of my own drum, i.e., aggression with discretion or something akin to what Keith Code once referred to as one who is willing to take calculated risks, so i expect that I am a good candidate for crashes. If I thought otherwise, i would be deluding myself and unaware of reality. I know what the risks are, and I'm willing to take them for the rush, much like skydivers, cliff climbers, or others who engage in life threatening pursuits.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:52 PM
Squid

raptorrider is on a distinguished road
Many years ago i had a wasp fly through the side window of my 74 Nova and sting me in the frigging eye of all places. Result i went in the ditch and broke the car up pretty good. So I have sympathy for your plight. Like i did, you fix your ride and it will just be a story to tell in the future. Really glad your OK.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:53 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
so far this is the most legitimate crash of "not my fault". I guess one could argue to keep the shield down, noj'd helmet, and all, but I know I have lifted my shield to vent and got bugged. Tough break, good luck on finding the parts to fix it.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:04 PM
MotoGP

Yeah and i lifted my shield a block from the house and caught a bat which lodged between the shield and helmet and then fell between me and the tank. Fortunately the bat lived. hahahaha. Weird **** huh.

Last edited by nath981; 04-14-2010 at 03:37 AM.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:55 PM
SuperBike

Risk

Risk is inherent in life by matters of degree. We as motorcyclists accept risk on a higher level than the norm.

I have taken more than my fare share of "unnecessary" risks while working (I hang off of buildings and towers as part of my job), rock climbing, hang gliding, flying planes and sailplanes, parachuting, crossing a street and of course motorcycling.

Some might say it is statistically inevitable that a motorcyclist will crash based on the law of averages. On the other hand, surviving risky experiences should minimize repeating mistakes you have made or observed others make, and thus partially offset the law of averages.

And then again, life is a matter of fractions of an inch and/or seconds; i.e., being in the wrong or right place at the wrong or right time. The speed at which you do things also determines how much reaction time is available to react. Which IS NOT to say speed kills. Stupidity does.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:41 AM
Squid

Lightbulb

I am taking this as a huge opportunity to learn, and work harder at becoming a better rider. A majority of my rides, are in the Mt's, at about 75%, I have also taken MSF, and MSF advanced riders courses. I cannot afford mistakes in the High Country, seeing how there is little room for error. It seems that everytime I throw a leg over the S.H., I work hard at following my lines, running the Pace, a comfortable, yet Semi-aggresive riding style. I feel that I lost sight, even for a split second, of the nature of riding, preparing yourself mentally for any and every obstacle we encouter. Thats one of the reasons I started the thread, to share my slice of experience, and promote discussion on the topic of safety. All the input, and different points of view, can benifit all of us as riders. If certain things, help people prepare for a riding season, this is a great format to share it, and I enjoy learning something new everyday, because we all want to be better riders.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:28 AM
MotoGP

+10 I believe that too many focus on the bike, too little on their riding. let me say that your psychological state needs to be free from extraneous issues, anxiety, and conflicts if you want to be clearly focused on your riding. In other words, don't ride until you have your **** together. Also, even with a clear head, it's equally important to have a relaxed calmness in order to be able to think/react quickly to whatever presents itself, to be able to finess the controls, and to be sensitive to what the chassis/tires are telling you at any given moment. The info and links on the thread below can significantly enhance your skills if you are diligent enough to practice them to proficiency.

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...=trail+braking
Old 04-14-2010, 08:17 AM
Superstock

evines is on a distinguished road
A wasp? A BAT? I never considered those hazards while riding. I guess I need to update my hazard list.

My dad has been riding for decades (he's 58, been riding off and on, mostly on, since he was 14), and has never once been in an accident on a bike OR a car. Not even a fender bender. And he's lived in cities all his life. I think that's pretty amazing. He spent some time as an MSF instructor, also.

I've also never been in an accident on a bike (but I've never been stung in the face either). I hope I can follow the lead of my dad. I don't think I can afford to crash.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:17 AM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
I had a bee in my helmet with me stinging the crap out of me but I was able to get the bike off the road, stopped and had my helmet off in record time.