Group Rides Get together with fellow riders...

Tail of the Dragon

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 09:52 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Tail of the Dragon

So I'm looking for some current info on the dragon. Can anyone in the area give me some tips on visiting for maybe 2 nights. I want to drive down on a sunday and come home tues, thinking that the beginning of the week would be less crowded? Going to truck the hawk down and stay in a cheap motel, speaking of which, is the Deals Gap resort an ok place to stay?
I don't have a specific date in mind. I want to be able to take advantage of good weather.

If you have any helpful advice post it up. A meet up would be awesome w/ someone who knows the area.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:37 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Beginning of the week should be okay, unless it's around a holiday, then all bets are off and expect LE the entire time. Crossroads of Time is a decent place to stay, at least it was the last time I was there. There are others but CoT is super convenient. Make reservations early. Bring new tires.

Don't just ride the Dragon. There are lots of great roads in the area like Cherohala Skyway and 28N and 28S to ride. Check out the dedicated websites for maps and suggested routes.

Be safe, be fast, come back in one piece, and don't hang anything on the tree!
Old 07-16-2012, 06:17 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Hawkrider
Beginning of the week should be okay, unless it's around a holiday, then all bets are off and expect LE the entire time. Crossroads of Time is a decent place to stay, at least it was the last time I was there. There are others but CoT is super convenient. Make reservations early. Bring new tires.

Don't just ride the Dragon. There are lots of great roads in the area like Cherohala Skyway and 28N and 28S to ride. Check out the dedicated websites for maps and suggested routes.

Be safe, be fast, come back in one piece, and don't hang anything on the tree!
Dead on, stay at the gap hotel, you can ride the rode early and late till dark when everyone else is long gone home. If you can time it check for the saturday's when thay have 50 races, its a blast to be there staying at the hotel and watching the races.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:37 AM
SuperSport

1971allchaos is on a distinguished road
Almost any week should be okay, But the weather has been dry,yet humid during the morning/afternoons. which has brought to the area (tractor HD convensions)slow moving objects... Which has made any riding in the area(250 mile square area) sometimes slow.
The LEO is there on the Dragon, more so than any other roads during the weekends.
As for place to stay. Maryville, louisville,Alcoa,TN are really in the riding area of the Dragon. Not as center of stay as suggested- Crossroads of Time(still a nice place). Yet in the area..

Don't just ride the Dragon, Cherohala Skyway and 28N and 28S .
There are more roads / in the area / that are just as a spirited ride as the Dragon.. Just not as advertised.
Give me a hollar. I get the tires pumped up- and show you -those other roads, when you come to the area...

Last edited by 1971allchaos; 07-18-2012 at 06:39 AM.