MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Who wants a Harley?

Whoa!

Project LiveWire

Old 06-19-2014, 12:29 PM
Back Marker

pchrist is on a distinguished road
That's the electric bike from the new avengers movie!!!!

An Electric Harley-Davidson Spotted on a Hollywood Set?
Old 06-19-2014, 01:12 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Where do the drag pipes go? Seriously though I welcome any time Harley tries something new (still wish they'd build some sportbikes), though even if they sold it I don't think I'd see any local Black Pistons riding around on one anytime soon.

Last edited by captainchaos; 06-19-2014 at 01:17 PM.
Old 06-19-2014, 01:46 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Apparently they are already working on the accessory catalogue: Oil Dripper, Engine Imbalancer, Sound System (with optional loud backfire track)...... should be fun
Old 06-19-2014, 04:32 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by mikstr
Apparently they are already working on the accessory catalogue: Oil Dripper, Engine Imbalancer, Sound System (with optional loud backfire track)...... should be fun
I'm sure this one had those installed, they just fell off on the trip to the studio.
Old 06-19-2014, 04:45 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Good point
Old 06-19-2014, 07:48 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

Wonder what the Harley designation is going to be? VRSCRLW-E?
Old 06-20-2014, 10:16 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
This sucker is going to be at the Harley Museum next Thursday for bike night. I'm hoping I'll have time to get down there and check it out. Looks cool!
Old 06-20-2014, 11:02 AM
MotoGP

Awesome! Feedback if you do! Sounds like they're touring the country; if they come through Phoenix I'll put a decent effort in finding them.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:41 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

The only thing is, it sounds like you need an invitation?

...Any rider with an invitation to demo and a valid motorcycle license can take a test ride. Those who don’t ride yet can take a ride on Jumpstart, a simulated riding experience, no license required.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:08 PM
MotoGP

Man Milwaukee is full of future folk and high class customs. In the wild wild west, if you're alive and not at large, you're invited. At least that's what I pretend everywhere I go.
Old 06-20-2014, 02:51 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Wow! I'd love to try out an electric & that's a nice example.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:34 PM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
I can't see beer belly bearded dudes on E Harley.... Imagine hell Angels on E Harley wuuu... really scary that will never take off, they will find another alternative fuel, like corn, to make the noise and vibrations they need to show off.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:25 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Due to work, I wasn't able to make it to the Harley Museum tonight for bike night. However, I had a buddy go down there and check it out. Him and his wife waited for 45 minutes to sit on the bike and run it up on a dyno. Supposedly, there is a lottery for those that want to take the bike out on a very small parking lot road coarse.

Here's some figures.

-GVW 836 lbs. (frame weighs ~40 lbs.)
-74hp 53ft.lbs.
-54 miles per charge
-Progressive braking charges battery on deceleration
-Governed at 92mph
- 0-60 under 4 seconds
-Helmet with media like, GPS, 3D HUD, reading texts, phone connect, pictures, and video. All voice command.

I guess they have been building this bike for the past 4 years. Not projected to be released to public (if ever) for another 2 years. Apparently, they are 2 years ahead of schedule.

You can check it out on foxsixnow.com
I haven't checked it out yet. This is all from my buddy. Just thought you guys would be interested.

Here's some pictures he took:
Name:  IMG_2503.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  100.3 KB
Name:  IMG_2498.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  102.9 KB
Name:  IMG_2491.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  96.4 KB
Old 06-27-2014, 09:42 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by CruxGNZ
-GVW 836 lbs. (frame weighs ~40 lbs.)
Well, I can tell you how I'd extend the range right there! That's nearly twice what other electrics are at!
Old 06-27-2014, 10:02 AM
ren
Back Marker

ren is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 7moore7
Well, I can tell you how I'd extend the range right there! That's nearly twice what other electrics are at!
Well it IS a Harley haha gotta stay consistent
Old 11-08-2014, 08:04 PM
MotoGP

So these guys are in Phoenix right now and I test rode the Livewire today. Some comments:

Don't know what the 836 lbs GVW number was reporting b/c our bikes they said were 430 lbs. (they looked and felt it as well).
  1. RE-diculous acceleration. Damn it was fun, and smooth, and they really had it dialed for a working prototype. Very street friendly; had somewhat of a Ducati Monster sitting position and handling. Scary amount of torque.
  2. With no motor vibrations or sound, the experience was new; almost like the first time getting on a motorcycle. Vehicles driving by with the windows down? You can hear conversations from inside of them. Catches you off guard at first, but also lets you "feel" the suspension and the ride.
  3. Regenerative breaking was like extreme engine breaking. Almost to a fault. It's all through the rear wheel and I could see it causing problems on the street in certain situations. It would take a little adjustments to riding style to maximize breaking traction, but it would definitely be doable.
  4. IMO Harley is on the right track with this; similar to Tesla. Electric motorcycles are just too far away from being an efficient one vehicle daily commuter so going in the direction of a luxury toy makes more sense. It was very fun, probably wouldn't last more than 80 miles per charge. It is likely to cost $20k plus (way above my budget), but Zero and Brammo are also overpriced compared to their equivalent gas powered counterparts. I looked into a $12,000 Zero as a commuter and is is so far away from competing with a $3000 used Ninja that it just didn't seem like the company would last until the prices even out

Anyway, it was better than expected. I walked all through the showroom for an hour while waiting to ride and all of the bikes in there just don't interest me in one bit, but somehow the same company made the Livewire.
Old 11-08-2014, 11:26 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

So these guys are in Phoenix right now and I test rode the Livewire today. Some comments:

Don't know what the 836 lbs GVW number was reporting b/c our bikes they said were 430 lbs. (they looked and felt it as well).
  1. RE-diculous acceleration. Damn it was fun, and smooth, and they really had it dialed for a working prototype. Very street friendly; had somewhat of a Ducati Monster sitting position and handling. Scary amount of torque.
  2. With no motor vibrations or sound, the experience was new; almost like the first time getting on a motorcycle. Vehicles driving by with the windows down? You can hear conversations from inside of them. Catches you off guard at first, but also lets you "feel" the suspension and the ride.
  3. Regenerative breaking was like extreme engine breaking. Almost to a fault. It's all through the rear wheel and I could see it causing problems on the street in certain situations. It would take a little adjustments to riding style to maximize breaking traction, but it would definitely be doable.
  4. IMO Harley is on the right track with this; similar to Tesla. Electric motorcycles are just too far away from being an efficient one vehicle daily commuter so going in the direction of a luxury toy makes more sense. It was very fun, probably wouldn't last more than 80 miles per charge. It is likely to cost $20k plus (way above my budget), but Zero and Brammo are also overpriced compared to their equivalent gas powered counterparts. I looked into a $12,000 Zero as a commuter and is is so far away from competing with a $3000 used Ninja that it just didn't seem like the company would last until the prices even out

Anyway, it was better than expected. I walked all through the showroom for an hour while waiting to ride and all of the bikes in there just don't interest me in one bit, but somehow the same company made the Livewire.
That's awesome to hear. Thanks for a great review. I don't know about everyone else but regardless of what you think of Harleys I would MUCH rather this bike be innovative and be much better than expected than be a disappointment.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:59 AM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mikstr
I'm sure this one had those installed, they just fell off on the trip to the studio.
Thanks for the good laugh this morning. Funny stuff.

Forgot about the tour. I would have been there if I had been paying attention.
Thanks for the report. Confirms some of the other ride impressions of E-bikes I've read. The silence must be very strange.
I didn't catch it at first either. GVW different than, curb weight. Put a couple of big beer guzzlers on the bike and you'd be at the 836 mark. Though I'm not sure there is enough room on that seat for two XL asses.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:08 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

After talking to my buddy again, that 836lbs. is what that bike currently weighs. Most all the weight is very low, making the bike feel light between your legs. Maybe that 430lbs. is where they eventually want to be? Not sure man. All that information I got was second hand from a HD guy working the event.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:19 AM
MotoGP

Oooohhh.. GVW I didn't know about. Yeah, vehicle weight was around 430 lbs... I remember because they specifically said it was the lightest bike in their lineup. Sportster is at 565 so it has to be lighter than that...

Edit: Wicki says 460lbs, 52ft lbs of torque, 74 bhp.

Last edited by 7moore7; 11-09-2014 at 08:39 AM.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:30 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

I think it's cool you got to ride it! Did you have to go through the lottery B.S., like what was done here in Milwaukee?

Just saw this. 54hp liquid cooled motor, six speed with a hydraulic clutch Brammo Empulse, which is for sale. I like the looks of the Livewire bike better, but I think I would lean towards the Brammo bike, because it is almost on par with a gas powered bike...almost.

Last edited by CruxGNZ; 11-09-2014 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Spelling and adding information
Old 11-09-2014, 09:41 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by CruxGNZ
I think it's cool you got to ride it! Did you have to go through the lottery B.S., like what was done here in Milwaukee?

Just saw this. 54hp liquid cooled motor, six speed with a hydraulic clutch Brammo Empulse, which is for sale. I like the looks of the Livewire bike better, but I think I would lean towards the Brammo bike, because it is almost on par with a gas powered bike...almost.
Not really a lottery, but I did have to sign up a couple of months ago. They closed registration on the 1st of October, but me and my two buddies made it into the same time slot so it couldn't have been too crowded. Others there were able to get in on the day of if someone no-showed.

In all honesty, for what I would use an electric bike for I can get much more out of a gas bike. I don't really buy new vehicles, especially commuter ones, so I'm out of the demographic for awhile. But I'm just excited that Harley made such a good effort on the prototype bikes. With no noise and no vibration it is way off of their normal mark and I'd be stoked to see them gain more ground. If I had to buy one, I like the Zero bikes, but if I could ride one it would probably be this one again.

I've read criticism and the internet is full of individuals who aren't really putting all of the pieces together. Electrics have no range, too expensive, and all of that jazz like gas powered vehicles haven't had a 100 year head start on refining their technology. Just me venting through the keyboard I guess.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:18 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

I'm with ya on that point. One could only imagine what the world would be like if gasoline engines didn't take off and early electric cars continued to evolve.
Old 11-09-2014, 06:12 PM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
Maybe HD will continue to take some of the profit from selling $52K matte orange 900lb paint shakers and invest it in the tech to bring E bikes closer to their fossil fuel equivalent. They have the dealer network (free charging stations at dealers), the advertising budget and the name recognition (for some) to move the E bike demand forward. If HD can absorb some of the cost of scaling up production and get the price where johnny lunch bucket can afford one, maybe there is a chance that this will become something. Hopefully they will decide to make this a reality and people show up to lay down their money.
Old 11-15-2014, 02:50 PM
Superstock

RobertLever is on a distinguished road
About the only Harley I'd want to buy.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:47 AM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
It's great that finally HD thinking out side of the box, unfortunately they don't have the right crowd and IMHO I don't see them succeeding for a long while, it will take allot more to change this crowd to E bike. I cannot imagine ape hunger without noise and vibration, well, maybe they can do an alternative spaceship noise like the Fisker Karma ;-)