General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

wheelies

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 08:42 AM
Squid

vtromey
wheelies

so, i finally got my VTR up to almost 12 o'clock, almost hurt my abs doin it, felt like i was punched in the stomach by the tank . anyway, i popped it up on 1st gear, up to about 3 grand, then whaked on the throttle. wow!
anyway, i'm new to all this and was wondering what would be the safest way to go up on one that is also easier on the motor/bearings/tranny. i'm also runnin on stock sprockets and chain, will be getting slip ons and jet kit down the road. . .

is it better to go up on 2nd gear? i'm sure you can hold em longer on 2nd.
how do you clutch a wheelie (at what rpms are you workin with on the VTR when clutchin, on 2nd or 3rd even?) standing vs sitting? clutch vs power wheelies?
have any of you guys changed your stearing head bearings cause of too many wheelies?! :wink:

and lemme get this straight, power wheelies are harder on the tranny, while clutch wheelies are harder on the clutch, so my take is it's better to fry the clutch cause that's cheaper to replace?

anyway, i'm a mature rider, been riding for 8 years, and this is my first crack at wheelies (my other bikes weren't wheelieable). just wanna get skilled at it.

preciate any tips
Old 07-22-2005, 11:30 PM
Superstock

nineighthawk
One word of advice.. start small...

First gear wheelies with the SH are very hard on the bike due to the speed that it happens.. you will tear up head bearings pretty fast. In first gear the bike slams down real hard if you chop the throttle.

Second is my prefered wheelie gear with the SH. My hawk is set up with a 15/43 sprocket combo, so I can power up in second although I prefer to clutch up.

Third gear wheelies are a possibility also.. Once you get second gear down third gear wheelies are a snap.. I would reccomend a steering damper install b4 trying to go airborne in third. I have had the head shake slightly coming down in third so I put a damper on, never happened since. Third gear is a little different due to the wind helping keep the bike up. Never try to do faster wheelies in gusty wind, I have almost **** my pants when a gust almost blew me over.
I prefer standing up in 3rd also, it makes it easier to get it up. In third I need to have the bike @ approx. 4500 rpm. then clutch it up to 6 to 7k and pull up and back while I ease the clutch out. It will come right up..

Good Luck and be careful, Dave
Old 07-25-2005, 12:23 PM
Back Marker

thegreep
Re: wheelies

I guess at 205lb I'm just too dammed big to make wheelies easy, I've only had my bike come up, I mean really up, twice in it's 7200 miles. The thing is, when I'm trying it stays planted, but when I'm not expecting it to go it just seems to do it all by itself. Bad technique from years of easy to wheelie 2 stroke dirt bikes I guess. . .
Old 07-25-2005, 12:40 PM
Squid

vtromey

thanks for the tips fellas. yep, first gear ones are definitely harder on the bike. still on stock gearing. guess the next thing is to clutch it on 2nd. guess i have to play with seat position as well.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:17 PM
Squid

bryantmvtr
PRACTICE is all it take man... find the balance point, and you can ride any gear for as long as you want... stand up's are easier too!
Old 08-18-2005, 12:37 PM
Squid

AbeFM

My turbo would hit pretty hard on my old kawi - so I'd be up in a first gear clutch wheelie showing off for freinds, then about 6,500 the back tire would break loose and spin and smoke. You'd come down in a hurry and it was a miracle if you came down straight. Always got lots of applause but you were pretty sure you were just going to ride the bike home and sell it. :-)

The whole modern tires thing seems to take care of that. BTW - the bike has Diablos on it, is that a good fit?
________
Pissing Asian

Last edited by AbeFM; 03-17-2011 at 11:44 AM.