General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Gas mileage on SHawk is not that bad...

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 09:32 PM
Back Marker

caffeineracer
I just got back from a moto-trip with a Aprilia Mille
and are fuel mileage was about about the same every time we fueled up together. Same roads same speeds.
Are fuel range was about the same too as both of us nearly ran out of fuel together. He had never ran out before but had never put 4 gals in before. I put in 3.8 gals and only ever put 3.9 in after pushing.
We traded bikes during the trip and that Mille is pretty nice. It lacks a bit of the low-end pull of the shawk, but makes up for that with top-end.
Suspension was great, it's the R model with Olins front and back.

~Jeffers
Old 07-28-2005, 12:09 AM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by caffeineracer";p=&quot
Suspension was great, it's the R model with Olins front and back.
For the money difference, I'm sure us SHawk owners could throw on some nice boingy bits.

Although the gas mileage thing is a sore spot for SHawks (my F3 used to get 40+), the performance is so much greater that I don't really mind. And what car out there can match the performance and fuel efficiency?

I think I'm rambling now, so I'll stop.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:25 AM
SuperSport

jschmidt
Yea, its a combination of mileage and tank size. An extra 1/2 gallon would fix it.
Old 07-28-2005, 07:18 AM
Squid

NYSuperHawk
Best ever on the way to work today...138.7 miles before RLOD. Lot of steady speed riding in the past few days...

My bike usually gets 31-36mpg and about 100-110 miles before RLOD.

Mileage never really bothers me. I judge the bike on it's performance, not what it is like to put gas into. As I am sure most of us do.

Just like my Camaro. It does 12.90's. I don't even know what mileage it gets because it is totally moot.
Old 08-01-2005, 04:42 AM
Superstock

Galaxieman is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by NYSuperHawk";p=&quot
Mileage never really bothers me. I judge the bike on it's performance, not what it is like to put gas into. As I am sure most of us do.

Just like my Camaro. It does 12.90's. I don't even know what mileage it gets because it is totally moot.
Amen.

Here's my angle: at worst, the 'hawk gets ~30 mpg. When I'm flying, playing stoplight challenge, doing wheelies, the works. If I take it easy, I've seen as high as 38 mpg. My wife's mustang, on its best day hasn't seen better than 28, and that's constant-speed highway stuff. My truck gets 16ish at best, and 12 if my right foot gets heavy. Could the 'hawk get better mileage? Yeah, but it could also be a lot worse. I commute on the bike because its cheaper to keep the bike in gas, tires, and oil than it is to just keep gas in the truck. Just my $.02.

As an aside, Motherbelgium, the bags rock. Initial functional patching and painting complete, pictures to follow soon.

-Jim
Old 08-17-2005, 04:58 PM
Squid

Sighter
I can verify that an '05 GSXR 600 uses abouut the same amount of fuel when playing hard through the twisty stuff. Fill ups and running out was almost exactly the same last weekend with the Superhawk. I am sure that might change doing lower speed highway cruising.

I get pretty good smiles per gallon versus my Mazda 6.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:44 PM
Squid

AbeFM
Re: Gas mileage on SHawk is not that bad...

Since the turbo on the miata, I'm running high octane and if I'm schooling a bunch of lexi and mustangs I can get 18 mpg. I'm not saying it's not worth it, but even 30 mpg running regular saves me $$$

$2.65/30= 8.3 cents/mile
$2.99/20= 15 cpm

Sure I can get 35 mpg if I drive nicely, but I don't. And even so that's 10% more in octane alone.
________
Michigan dispensary

Last edited by AbeFM; 03-17-2011 at 11:45 AM.