Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Wheelies

Old 04-22-2007, 07:04 PM
Squid

vtrlvr is on a distinguished road
Wheelies

Hey guys i know it is illegal to do on the street and it can be unsafe and all that crap. I have just changed the rear sprocket to a 43. I am trying to clutch it up in second and i can only seem to get it off the ground a couple of inches. Here is the way i am doing it. 2nd gear accelerating to 5k and pulling the clutch in and reving to about 6.5 or 7k and popping the clutch.I have heard some people say to be accelerating and the just pulling the clutch enough so that is disengages and when the enging revs up to the desired rpms to then let it out. Is there a better way to do it than what i am doing now? Or do i suck that bad.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:25 PM
Seņor Miembro, Ay Caramba
SuperSport

Scooberhawk is on a distinguished road
You suck that bad. I do, too. I'm gonna loop a bunch of wheelies on a dirt bike before I have too much fun on the street. But yeah, your way should work, but you need to be pinned when you do it. It also helps to be pulling back, obviously.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:36 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by vtrlvr
I have heard some people say to be accelerating and the just pulling the clutch enough so that is disengages and when the enging revs up to the desired rpms to then let it out.
I have Stock gearing and that is exactly how i pull my up. I see and hear about guys rolling off the throttle and bang it hard to pull it up. I guess i come the old school dirt bike days of gradually slipping the clutch instead of the popping method you described. When the air is clean and the temps are around 60 i can get mine to come up in Third as well with the clutch slip method, of course you are hauling *** when trying this in third.

Good Luck!
Old 04-22-2007, 07:41 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Scooberhawk
You suck that bad. I do, too. I'm gonna loop a bunch of wheelies on a dirt bike before I have too much fun on the street. But yeah, your way should work, but you need to be pinned when you do it. It also helps to be pulling back, obviously.

I completely understand the need to wanting to do it on a dirt bike first best place to learn.

But keep in mind the SuperHawk is got to be one of the easiest bike ever built to wheelie. You do not need to pin it and you do not have to yank back on the clip-on. Its all about Throttle and clutch work and nothing else. The VTR will power Wheelie easily in 2nd gear around 5.5k and a little clutch slipping.

Of course 1st gear requires nothing built a hard twist of the wrist, except if you do not shift to 2nd in the air it usually result in a hard landing, which is not good for the old fork bearings. 2nd and 3rd are buy far the best to wheelie in on the SuperChicken. I am sure others have their own methods and can sound in as well.

Good luck learning!
Old 04-22-2007, 07:54 PM
Back Marker

jamesvtr is on a distinguished road
when i only had pipes and k&n and jetted i could power up 3rd. regardless what gear your in it comes down to technique. i perfer to stand 2nd and 3rd makes it easier to get and hold balance point
Old 04-22-2007, 08:35 PM
Squid

I have yoshie pipes with stock k&n and stock jetting i wonder if that has anything to do with it. I probably need to get those to make the most out of the pipes. eh?
Old 04-23-2007, 12:06 AM
Back Marker

Otto Man is on a distinguished road
I must have the most doggish VTR on here then, because mine just doesn't want to wheelie. Stock jetting, cans have the outer baffles knocked out, 15/43 530 gearing. Comes up easy in first, but second and third? Ain't no way that's happening unless I slip the clutch so much, peg it off the revlimiter and dump the clutch all at once...
Old 04-23-2007, 04:29 AM
SuperSport

AZZKIKER is an unknown quantity at this point
Wheelies depend on body position in my opinion AND experience. Try sliding your butt to the back and sit up straight and don't be afraid to rev to 8k rpm when you clutch in second. It also depends on your weight. If you are thin and light then wheelies would be a lot easier. I have 16/43 and mine wheelies at will in second. I usually go 40-50 mph roll on the throttle and slip the clutch fast enough. Another thing make sure the clutch is not slippin. It might need some bleeding if it is. Mine was slipping but it was the oil that I was using. i changed to rotella and bam.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:37 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Wheelies depend 100% on experience. I know a guy that makes a living doing a full stunt show on a triumph rocket III of all things. I've also seen guys pull up 600's at will in 5th and 6th. I've seen plenty of superhawks clutched up on the highway stock and if you've geared it down it should be that much easier. Hey don't feel bad I was never too good at it either...
Old 04-23-2007, 01:02 PM
Squid

Yea that is the oil i am using is the rotella synthetic. It pisses me off because i have a piece of crap 150cc scooter that i wheeli the hell out of.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:45 PM
Superstock

Zedicus is on a distinguished road
pull in the clutch while rolling, nudge the front brakes a bit to compress the forks, then at the same time shift yur wieght to the back of the seet as the forks are uncompressing while giving it throttle. the front end will come up so smoothe it wont feel like it was ever touching the ground.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:24 PM
Superstock

sprhawk neil is an unknown quantity at this point
my bike was all stock with the baffles blown out and I could wheelie great in second gear. here is ugh was my method second gear get up to about 40 -50 mph roll into the throttle and slip the clutch in and out quickly without letting off the throttle if I sat down I could shift into third if you stand up it balances out great after your used to it be carefull the hawk will put you on yor *** quick and a few times I set it down in third I was at 90 mph that will hurt!!!
Old 04-23-2007, 04:16 PM
Back Marker

SuperHawkins is on a distinguished road
Wheelies scare me personally, Id rather keep the front end planted and just flat-out HAUL. With my sprocket set, if I give it anything past 1/2 throttle in 1st gear it stands on its tail....2nd gear if I get on it from the lower rpms and stay steady it will stay down with me planted over the bars, but if I yank it or blip it it will come right up. 3rd gear will dance if I hammer it and come up if I clutch...

But like I said, wheelies bother me so I avoid them....and everytime I land a wheelie, it happens hard and I get a leg cramp or slam my nuts into the tank heh
Old 04-23-2007, 06:14 PM
Superstock

johnnyhonda is on a distinguished road
I don't clutch up 2nd gear wheelies. I stand-up get the bike at about 4.5k then I give it a quick twist of the throttle, then off the throttle. what this does is load up the suspension. when you feel the suspension hit bottem hit the gas and pull up on the bars at the same time. If ou do this right 2nd gear wheelies will be a piece if cake. The timing has to be perfect.

The only time I do clutch wheelies is at a dead stop, other wise I don't believe in them.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:17 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
Speaking of reckless endangerment. Anyone been hauling $1.40 or so and hit the bridges, or bumps, and wheelie. I urrrrgghhmmmm had some extra weight on the back, and everytime I hit a bump the front suspension would top out and pull off the ground. My "baggage" thought is was fun, from what I can tell from an "inanimate" object.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:52 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by autoteach
Speaking of reckless endangerment. Anyone been hauling $1.40 or so and hit the bridges, or bumps, and wheelie. I urrrrgghhmmmm had some extra weight on the back, and everytime I hit a bump the front suspension would top out and pull off the ground. My "baggage" thought is was fun, from what I can tell from an "inanimate" object.
It's even more fun over railroad tracks. You go up one side and when that front wheel starts going over the down side give her some and ride it out. It feels like you're floating. It's rocks.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:12 PM
SuperSport

Probably depends on the tracks. Where I go over the railroad tracks, I get fully airborne. But right around there are a few hills that allow me some small power wheelies on the way down. They'd be full-on wheelies, easy, but it's baby steps for me.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:24 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by Scooberhawk
Probably depends on the tracks. Where I go over the railroad tracks, I get fully airborne. But right around there are a few hills that allow me some small power wheelies on the way down. They'd be full-on wheelies, easy, but it's baby steps for me.
I like the high railroad tracks becuase, it's like the front wheel never moves. You just float in to the wheelie. yeah man........yeah. Not much for jumping my hawk though I've done it once or twice.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:47 PM
Superstock

I can talk wheelies and stoppies all day. I made them my life for 5 or 6 years.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:56 PM
Squid

marcus996
Wheelies

i have Jardine high mount race, with K&N and dyno jet kit, and i was bringing it up in fourth gear at about 75-80mph with ease, i was even able to start to bring it up in 5th gear, but i was doing over 100mph to start and wasnt as comfortable as i am wheelieing around 60-70mph. all by power it no clutch popping to hard on tranny and gears.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:49 AM
Superstock

Speed_Demon is an unknown quantity at this point
The bike should power up in 1st and 2nd easily and with a little skill and bounce in 3rd too. As far as clutching I've had luck with gears 1st through 4th. I'm guessing you get it to 5k rpm and dump the clutch but don't ease into the throttle while you are dumping the clutch. More throttle dude!
Old 05-18-2007, 07:04 AM
Superstock

Brian A is an unknown quantity at this point
I used to wheelie my dirt bike all the time, but rarely do so on my SH. And when I do, it is just a short first gear thing.
I can ride a wheelie on my (pedal) mountain bike for a block or two, but just never feel comfortable trying to balance my SH to "ride" a wheelie.
I think a lot of doing wheelies is just a "knack". Some guys are better at it than others. I'm sure with practice I could do a lot better, but it's just not something I feel real compelled to do.
I can imagine it would be a lot of fun, but I also imagine the risk of crashing would be higher than I care to chance.

I feel more comfortable with the bike cranked over, dragging a knee and feeling the rear tire spin and slip a little, than I do trying to ride a wheelie.

I remember years ago I was riding dirt bikes with a friend. He had a Honda CR 450 and was riding a wheelie up a long, unused road (asphalt). I was right behind him when he went over backwards. He was not hurt too bad, but I didn't like watching it. I think that, along with the bizillion video clips on the internet of guys looping wheelies, has me a bit timid about the proposition.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:21 PM
Post Whore Junior
MotoGP

Cleveland is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by autoteach
Ok I have read this and read this.... I understand $1.40... (140 mph?)... "baggage"... (passenger?)... but what the hell is the "inanimate" object? You ridin' dudes on the back and they gettin wood? Please explain....
Old 05-18-2007, 04:45 PM
SuperSport

I'll jump in.. He would never endanger a real live person back there <ahem>... So the "baggage" and the "inanimate" object are one in the same.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:20 PM
Superstock

I've done stand-ups in third gear about 120 mph and my rear wheel felt like was bouncing all over the place. Lets just say that was the end of that. I figure that if I can ride 2nd gear wheelie for forever, who needs 3rd.
Old 05-19-2007, 08:47 AM
Back Marker

senecagreen
Some guys are better at wheelies than others. I am not one of them. I can pull it up with throttle in 1st but like others said 1st is too short to find a balance point.

What I am working on getting down is finding the right balance to carry the front wheel about 6 inches to a foot thru 1st then shift to 2nd and carry it about 6 inches off the ground thru the first part of that for maximum acceleration. I would prefer to get really good at launching the bike for maximum acceleration. I have seen Gadsen carry the front wheel of a ZX14 about a foot off the ground thru first. That's the balance point I would like to really get down.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:14 PM
Back Marker

bluevtr
Ok, I gotta admit to being one of the nervous types myself. I can wheelie a bicycle for a good distance, and can hold a wheelie sitting still in a wheelchair indefinately (done 30+ minutes several times, it's motivated by boredom). But I've never wheelied the SH. I've kinda half-heartedly tried a few times, but really don't wanna loop it. Tried a stoppie once, but the front tire locked up and slid. Oh well, that's why I enjoy WATCHING stunt shows.

BTW, if you've ever seen the trials demonstration shows, like at the Honda Hoot, that's something I'd love to be able to do. Talk about control...
Old 05-19-2007, 10:52 PM
SuperSport

Trials bikes rule!
Old 05-20-2007, 04:18 AM
RAM
Squid

RAM is on a distinguished road
wheelies

i agree with johnny & marcus nothing but power wheelies NO clutch
thats just the way hawks are.
Old 05-20-2007, 12:29 PM
Back Marker

Blurr is on a distinguished road
Anyone got a REAL easy and safe way to wheeli?

I mean I have no clue what gearing my bikes got etc but I mean if I whack it open hard in 1first it sure wants to come up but yeah not sure about this clutch thing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wheelies