General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related
View Poll Results: What part do ya want!!!!
Fork Brace
36.36%
Rearsets
34.55%
Rearset Adapters
23.64%
Footpeg Mounts
5.45%
Frame/swingarm Brace
20.00%
CNC brake lever
16.36%
Shock mount
7.27%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

What part would you want...

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 09:43 PM
Superstock

bass4dude is on a distinguished road
What part would you want...

machined/made for your superhawk/firestorm at a more affordable price?

I think that adjustable rearsets are pretty high on my list, as well as a low down and dirty forkbrace.

I know Jamie makes a CNC shift lever, and apparently it's a beautiful thing (I've yet to order one) and IIRC there's no brake lever coming in the future

But one of my close friends has to choose a "project" for his CNC class and it is supposed to be something that can be mass produced so I figured, if it could be done, I'd recommend some stuff off the SH as a project, so, if (and that's a big if) it could be done, what would y'all want?

Old 08-21-2011, 12:51 AM
SportTouring
Superstock

Onomea is on a distinguished road
An affordable fork brace would be of interest to me. The Superbrace is nice but $$$.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:09 AM
SuperSport

98VTRrider is on a distinguished road
The part I've been dreaming about making is a weld on frame brace to connect to the swingarm pivot bolt, and incorporate the rearset bracket onto it also.

Maybe a little too involved for what your friend is doing...I can dream

I know someone with a mill, and another friend owns a business and has a CNC mill and lathe, maybe someday I can figure it out
Old 08-21-2011, 07:31 AM
SuperSport

jay956 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 98VTRrider
The part I've been dreaming about making is a weld on frame brace to connect to the swingarm pivot bolt, and incorporate the rearset bracket onto it also.

I know someone with a mill, and another friend owns a business and has a CNC mill and lathe, maybe someday I can figure it out
that sounds like it would get very complicated very quickly. your dealing with geometry at that point. would be awesome though
Old 08-21-2011, 09:18 AM
Back Marker

msethhunter is on a distinguished road
Rearsets, or rearset adapter plates.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:03 AM
Squid

racer187x is on a distinguished road
Chain guard, the stock plastic one looks like crap. Maybe a "foot" for the kickstand? Front sprocket cover?
Old 08-21-2011, 11:45 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

geekonamotorcycle is on a distinguished road
A smaller tail. Fork braces.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:27 PM
SuperSport

zmaniv is on a distinguished road
1+ on rear set adaptors
Old 08-21-2011, 02:08 PM
Light Cycle Expert
Back Marker

tomzxt is on a distinguished road
+1 on rear set.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:51 PM
SuperSport

Something quick and easy that would be good for that project would be PAIR Block-off plates. I would take two
Old 08-21-2011, 06:25 PM
the boss
SuperBike

saige is on a distinguished road
fork brace
rear sets
new type of no cut slider adapters that will accommodate most of or all kind of slide pucks.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:16 PM
Superstock

I think this would be a little advanced for the class he's taking because it would require quite a bit of geometry work to make it fit. Now I'm not adverse to it because I would love to have everything on the SH a little more reinforced.

Originally Posted by racer187x
Chain guard, the stock plastic one looks like crap. Maybe a "foot" for the kickstand? Front sprocket cover?
An CNC chainguard would be quite cool, it'd take some figuring out, and it might be a little bit dangerous for the chain, but a slider could be incorporated to the inside of the guard. HMMMMM! Something I hadn't thought about!

Foot? do you mean like a puck to put down on the ground and then set the bike on it? Maybe a longer kickstand but I wouldn't trust aluminum, and a steel one would be easier just to weld a tack onto the end.

Front sprocket cover would be cool but I think the Magnesium one on there is a tad bit lighter.

Originally Posted by geekonamotorcycle
A smaller tail. Fork braces.
Smaller tail or a aluminum subframe?

Something quick and easy that would be good for that project would be PAIR Block-off plates. I would take two
I think the block of plates are already being pretty cheaply produced on ebay by a couple of people, I think $18 shipped is the lowest I've seen and the aluminium and CNC time involved makes that about as low as it could go. It would be fun to whip out a couple of sets with laser engraving on it though!

Originally Posted by zmaniv
1+ on rear set adaptors
I think it would be pretty easy to make one with a wing on it that you could drill into yourself, it would allow you to even branch out into other manufacturers rearsets.

Originally Posted by saige
fork brace
rear sets
new type of no cut slider adapters that will accommodate most of or all kind of slide pucks.
I think as of now, the T-REX are the most likely to work with that. I wouldn't really want to make a mounting plate out of aluminium because it could risk damaging the frame in going down. I don't know what material their's is made out of but I don't think it would be too difficult to make one....

--------------------------------------

So as of right now, I'm seeing the most votes for fork brace and rearsets/adapters?

He's got 2 weeks to decide and another month to design so we've got a little bit of time!

If anyone has done any design work on something that has fallen through (Marcus, I know you've dabbled in some designs) and has any CAD work, email it to me and I can see about the feasibility of doing something.

The point of the project is to provide a good at little over aluminium cost,and powder coating will be available at cost when designs are done.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:23 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
Well, if he machined an original for the frame bracing for each side, I could cast them with my students. Just a thought.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:13 AM
Superstock

Originally Posted by autoteach
Well, if he machined an original for the frame bracing for each side, I could cast them with my students. Just a thought.
Well, I think the idea is from the MORIWAKI race bike...

The piece doesn't look too bad to design, and would be much easier to cast than CNC.

My concern would be how thick to make the plate in order to accommodate the strength necessary to gain any benefits of having such a rigid rear end.

Another concern would be how many people would want such an aggressive riding position for say street riding.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:56 AM
Superstock

sheldonsl is on a distinguished road
I would like a cup holder. Should be easy to make something that clips on and swivels so your drink doesn't spill. Ah, who am I kidding? Just go with the fork brace.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:44 AM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by bass4dude
I think the block of plates are already being pretty cheaply produced on ebay by a couple of people, I think $18 shipped is the lowest I've seen and the aluminium and CNC time involved makes that about as low as it could go. It would be fun to whip out a couple of sets with laser engraving on it though!
Yes, custom monogrammed Pair block off plates! haha. With my motor out the stock plugged PAIR plates are just screaming to be replaced...I might make my way over to ebay.....

I think it would be pretty easy to make one with a wing on it that you could drill into yourself, it would allow you to even branch out into other manufacturers rearsets..........Another concern would be how many people would want such an aggressive riding position for say street riding.
It wouldn't need quite that aggressive of a riding position, maybe leave it up to the end user to place/fab the footpeg bracket where they like it best.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:12 AM
SuperBike

Old Yeller is on a distinguished road
I've seen footpeg mounts for about $140 that I'd like to have. If your friend could figure out a way to make them at a more reasonable price, I would think they could be used on a wide variety of bikes. These pieces are shaped like the inside of the footpeg to allow them to raise up like the stock ones. they have an arm about 1/5 inchs long which bolts into the center of the footpeg inside, but swivel 360 degrees and have a peg mounted on the end of the arm. That would allow a rider to lower them for comfortable city use, but also raise them back and up for track or aggressive riding.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:14 AM
SuperBike

Here's another thread where this part seems like it would be reasonably easy to design.

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...-risers-26429/
Old 08-22-2011, 10:37 AM
Back Marker

MC Leather is on a distinguished road

I'm digging that subframe, very sexy. Thant might be a nice winter project. I've been trying to come up with a little caliper and mount like that too. That bike makes my Moriwaki Superhawk look stock.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:20 PM
Back Marker

jefejrs is on a distinguished road
Still wouldn't mine an adjustable rear brake lever..
Old 08-22-2011, 04:31 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by Old Yeller
I've seen footpeg mounts for about $140 that I'd like to have. If your friend could figure out a way to make them at a more reasonable price, I would think they could be used on a wide variety of bikes. These pieces are shaped like the inside of the footpeg to allow them to raise up like the stock ones. they have an arm about 1/5 inchs long which bolts into the center of the footpeg inside, but swivel 360 degrees and have a peg mounted on the end of the arm. That would allow a rider to lower them for comfortable city use, but also raise them back and up for track or aggressive riding.
And would you be thinking using that with the stock rearsets?

Because that sounds like it would be pretty easy to make.
I would think that would put the pegs out a little further than I'd be comfortable with as I scrape them in the stock position on any spirited ride no matter how much I'm off the pegs.

I think that could be useful in any set made, because if it could be designed to be done on the fly then it would be awesome if you go for rides on the fly.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:42 AM
SuperBike

And would you be thinking using that with the stock rearsets?

Because that sounds like it would be pretty easy to make.
I would think that would put the pegs out a little further than I'd be comfortable with as I scrape them in the stock position on any spirited ride no matter how much I'm off the pegs.

I think that could be useful in any set made, because if it could be designed to be done on the fly then it would be awesome if you go for rides on the fly.
yeah, the mount to the stock brackets. They only stick out slightly past what stock would be, plus if you have them in the raised position, you'd have plenty of clearance. Putting them in the lower position would definitely be for more casual riding, but is good knee relief for us old guys.

Here's a link to something similar: Sportouring Bike Accessories
Here's a video of the concept too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMg2WD9OgwI

Last edited by Old Yeller; 08-23-2011 at 07:56 AM.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:11 PM
Superstock

yeah, the mount to the stock brackets. They only stick out slightly past what stock would be, plus if you have them in the raised position, you'd have plenty of clearance. Putting them in the lower position would definitely be for more casual riding, but is good knee relief for us old guys.

Here's a link to something similar: Sportouring Bike Accessories
Here's a video of the concept too: Ducati Corsa Style Adjustable Footpeg Kit - YouTube
Old is allllllll relative!

But that will be on the board as well. Would you want the entire mechanism to fold or just the peg?

And the same question for the possiblity of rearsets. Rigid peg or flip up, like stock?

There are benefits of both but it's something I'd like group input on because the design will vary quite a bit pending on the answer.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:34 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Well here is an odd ball one.... how about a rear shock mount that is 6-10mm over sized so you can ditch the spacer rig job??
Old 08-24-2011, 09:20 PM
the boss
SuperBike

saige is on a distinguished road
what about a fork valve kit,upper and lower.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:46 AM
Superstock

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
Well here is an odd ball one.... how about a rear shock mount that is 6-10mm over sized so you can ditch the spacer rig job??
That would be something interesting as well. Perhaps make it adjustable! I'm pretty sure there's someone on ebay selling pretty nice CNC shims too for under the mount and they've got a nice camfered edge to get them under.

Originally Posted by saige
what about a fork valve kit,upper and lower.
That would require some input from Jamie because I know relatively little about suspension and I'd rather have someone who is a professional get ATLEAST the main measurements done and then I could figure out how to plug it all together. But that would be borderline infringing on livelihood, and that's not something I want to do, but if they're game......

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

As of right now, I've got a really rough down and dirty AUTOCAD of an adjustable shift lever that could be incorporated into the design, it is essentially something similar to Jamies CNC but skeleton, and it will match the rearsets.

Right now I'm designing this to be a solid mount peg set up, so I hope if anyone cares they chime in.... now.

Because I've got 90% of the measurements (Thanks Mike!!!) and I'm gonna start making the design for the rearsets.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:04 AM
SuperBike

I think you need to start a pole so we can all vote on the different ideas.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:07 AM
SuperBike

Old is allllllll relative!

But that will be on the board as well. Would you want the entire mechanism to fold or just the peg?

And the same question for the possiblity of rearsets. Rigid peg or flip up, like stock?

There are benefits of both but it's something I'd like group input on because the design will vary quite a bit pending on the answer.
I'd say make it flip up like stock. For safety, especially in the lower positions, it would be better, I'd think. I would think it would be easier to make the entire thing flip up than just the peg. that way you could retain the peg screw-in concept. that would be needed to support the rotation into various positions.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:27 PM
Superstock

I think you need to start a pole so we can all vote on the different ideas.
I think I did it? hahahaha

The main benefits of the flip up is being able to save parts in case of a crash and to prevent the bike from hopping when catching on various road surfaces when on it's side.

As well if you do scrape the pegs mid turn, it will give a little and not upset you.

Benefits of a rigid peg is less slop in actuating movement of both levers. Not all that much, but noticeable. Either way they're going to have sealed bearings on all moving parts so it's going to be smooth and precise

And just as a teaser.... and this is by ALL means NOT a finished product. Just an idea. Name:  Shifter.png
Views: 59
Size:  132.7 KB

I'm reworking the "skeleton" aspect of it because I don't like how it looks.

Structural integrity is being tested tomorrow on a faster computer
Old 08-28-2011, 10:14 AM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by racer187x
Chain guard, the stock plastic one looks like crap....
Something like this?

VTR 1000 94-UP Chain Guard...

Quick Reply: What part would you want...