General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

What did you do with your SuperHawk today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 09:25 AM
Back Marker

UCF Eric is on a distinguished road
Found out that even after all the work I've done after my crash to get the bike back together. She has bent forks more than likely. Pulling them off this weekend to do a runout check and then possibly find some 954 forks on eBay and use the rest of my 929 stuff.
Old 10-16-2015, 01:10 AM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
went for a ride over my favourite loop , 360 Klms and had a blast.

I fitted some H Power stacks and have done the mixtures but I can't help but think that things are slightly off.

Have synced the carbs as well.

I pulled the enricheners out while riding and she bogged down straight away so I know it's not lean.

Runs sweet through the range right up to the limiter but just doesn't feel right so I am guessing my next post will be to do with the carbs.

Not a good shot but here she is way out in what we call the bush and it was a very hot day!

Old 10-16-2015, 11:14 PM
VTR virgin
Superstock

Cadbury64 is on a distinguished road
I just fitted a Cyclops LED 3800 lumen H4 headlight. Very impressed with this so far (in my garage!), its amazingly bright. It was supplied with a couple of spacers so that the emitter position can be adjusted relative to the reflector to get the spread right.

Not up to riding just at the moment following a nasty spill off my VFR last weekend, I lowsided on an otherwise dry road which had either oil or diesel spilled on it. Lots of rash on the VFR, nothing on me thanks to full leathers etc, but still pretty sore through my ribs. First crash in about 25 years!

I'll post up a review of the light once I get back on the road.
Old 10-17-2015, 02:12 AM
SuperSport

NZSpokes is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Cadbury64
I just fitted a Cyclops LED 3800 lumen H4 headlight. Very impressed with this so far (in my garage!), its amazingly bright. It was supplied with a couple of spacers so that the emitter position can be adjusted relative to the reflector to get the spread right.

Not up to riding just at the moment following a nasty spill off my VFR last weekend, I lowsided on an otherwise dry road which had either oil or diesel spilled on it. Lots of rash on the VFR, nothing on me thanks to full leathers etc, but still pretty sore through my ribs. First crash in about 25 years!

I'll post up a review of the light once I get back on the road.
Ouch. Where did you do that? Skin loss is no fun, glad the leather worked.

Very interested in the headlight.
Old 10-17-2015, 07:43 AM
Squid

jedrek750 is on a distinguished road
Brakes upgrade finished (M/C 600rr[IMG][/IMG] and callipers- f4i)
Old 10-17-2015, 12:02 PM
Back Marker

Badboy01 is on a distinguished road
Biketoberfest 2015

Changed the oil on the bike earlier this week and headed to Biketoberfest in Daytona with the crew yesterday. Trying Quiksilver 20W-50, 4 stroke, full synthetic, and so far so good. Easy clutch shifting, and engine running very quiet. Weather is perfect, and even bigger crowd expected at festival today and tomorrow. Check out the live feed on Mainstreet, and photos.

https://www.facebook.com/Biketoberfest
Old 10-17-2015, 01:03 PM
Back Marker

Aquasnake is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Badboy01
Changed the oil on the bike earlier this week and headed to Biketoberfest in Daytona with the crew yesterday. Trying Quiksilver 20W-50, 4 stroke, full synthetic, and so far so good. Easy clutch shifting, and engine running very quiet. Weather is perfect, and even bigger crowd expected at festival today and tomorrow. Check out the live feed on Mainstreet, and photos.

https://www.facebook.com/Biketoberfest
Have fun!
I've been using Quicksilver and so far have been having good results. But, alas, the Wallys around me are discontinuing it in stock. Time to try something else.
Old 10-17-2015, 01:23 PM
VTR virgin
Superstock

Originally Posted by NZSpokes
Ouch. Where did you do that? Skin loss is no fun, glad the leather worked.

Very interested in the headlight.
Hey Spoke

I crashed on Paparimu Rd just south of the Ararimu Rd junction. I think someone has dropped a container of oil off a ute that has broken open and spilled across this bend, it was all over the inside of my fairing. Initially I thought it was water and had slowed appropriately, then the front wheel just tucked under.

My leathers are scuffed but structurally fine, my lovely RX7R Arai is no longer so lovely, and the VFR was rideable barring a broken footpeg. Lots of right side fairing damage but the radiator is untouched, and the clutch cover should be OK with some sanding and painting. I've taken a plunge and ordered some Chinese bodywork, following a very positive experience from a fellow VFR owner in the US.
Old 10-17-2015, 05:20 PM
SuperSport

NZSpokes is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Cadbury64
Hey Spoke

I crashed on Paparimu Rd just south of the Ararimu Rd junction. I think someone has dropped a container of oil off a ute that has broken open and spilled across this bend, it was all over the inside of my fairing. Initially I thought it was water and had slowed appropriately, then the front wheel just tucked under.

My leathers are scuffed but structurally fine, my lovely RX7R Arai is no longer so lovely, and the VFR was rideable barring a broken footpeg. Lots of right side fairing damage but the radiator is untouched, and the clutch cover should be OK with some sanding and painting. I've taken a plunge and ordered some Chinese bodywork, following a very positive experience from a fellow VFR owner in the US.
Bugger. I go that way a bit taking learners out.

Another way to look at is your Arai did its job. Presume you are still mostly right in the head?

Bikes can be fixed, my experience shows bodys are not so easy to sort.
Old 10-17-2015, 06:04 PM
VTR virgin
Superstock

Originally Posted by NZSpokes
Bugger. I go that way a bit taking learners out.

Another way to look at is your Arai did its job. Presume you are still mostly right in the head?

Bikes can be fixed, my experience shows bodys are not so easy to sort.
No one has said that I'm any worse than before so I suppose that is a good thing!

Here's the scene of the crime: the s-bend just past Ararimu Rd junction. I took this shot on Friday as I stopped by to look for missing some fairing bits. Nice to see someone made an attempt to mop up afterwards.

Old 10-19-2015, 06:01 AM
Back Marker

AndyMX47 is on a distinguished road
Installed 0.90kg/mm fork springs, shimmed the rear shock 4mm, and dropped the forks in the clamps 10mm. Quicker handling, firm ride, much more confidence upon corner entry, much more stable in the corners.

Will try like this a bit, then consider going with 6mm shim in the rear - think it could still do with a bit more. Next step will be improvements to make the rear less harsh - re-valve stock shock, JDr F4i shock, or aftermarket shock?

Might have to fit a longer side stand though - what have others used? VFR 800?
Old 10-19-2015, 06:13 AM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
Longer side stand? Honda part #50530-MEL-000 seems to be the go-to when fitting a 6mm spacer at the rear. Might not be right if your front is dropped.
Old 10-19-2015, 06:23 AM
SuperBike
SuperBike

thedeatons is on a distinguished road
I have a 6mm rear shim and the forks dropped about 5mm with the stock stand. It leans a bit but doesn't seemed out of the ordinary when parked next to other bikes...

James
Old 10-19-2015, 06:55 AM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

Shame on you, James. SuperHawks are always out of the ordinary when parked next to other bikes.
Old 10-19-2015, 01:25 PM
VTR virgin
Superstock

Originally Posted by VTR1000F
Longer side stand? Honda part #50530-MEL-000 seems to be the go-to when fitting a 6mm spacer at the rear. Might not be right if your front is dropped.
I bought one of these, it's perfect with a 6mm shim in the rear. I don't have my forks lowered but do run stiffer springs so the front end probably sits a little higher than stock.

The stand is a straight bolt-in and fits to the sidestand switch perfectly. You need to file a bit off the VTR mounting bracket so the stand sits forwards enough when extended for security.
Old 10-19-2015, 02:42 PM
Back Marker

Super - good to know! Looks like it fits the 04-08 CBR1000, so hopefully I can find a used one on ebay for 1/2 price or so.

With the stiffer springs, the front end sits up about 5mm higher than stock, even with the forks raised 10mm in the clamps (15mm less sag than the stock springs).
Old 10-19-2015, 04:12 PM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

I never did an exhaustive search, but it looked to me like you could buy a new one for what most were asking on eBay. Check new pricing before making a used purchase.
Old 10-19-2015, 05:21 PM
VTR virgin
Superstock

Originally Posted by VTR1000F
I never did an exhaustive search, but it looked to me like you could buy a new one for what most were asking on eBay. Check new pricing before making a used purchase.
$42.64 on Partzilla
Old 10-19-2015, 06:13 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Or get this for about $25 if $43 is too much for ya.

06 07 Honda CBR 1000 RR CBR1000 Kickstand Side Leg Stand | eBay

James
Old 10-19-2015, 06:55 PM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by AndyMX47
Installed 0.90kg/mm fork springs, shimmed the rear shock 4mm, and dropped the forks in the clamps 10mm. Quicker handling, firm ride, much more confidence upon corner entry, much more stable in the corners.

Will try like this a bit, then consider going with 6mm shim in the rear - think it could still do with a bit more. Next step will be improvements to make the rear less harsh - re-valve stock shock, JDr F4i shock, or aftermarket shock?

Might have to fit a longer side stand though - what have others used? VFR 800?
Best would be from a 04 - 07 CBR1000RR, as thedeatons suggested!
Here is an old thread on this subject: https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...kstands-24151/
Old 10-19-2015, 07:00 PM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

That's the part number I gave him.
Old 10-20-2015, 05:26 AM
Back Marker

You guys are awesome. Found one for $24 including shipping - I love this forum!

Now if I could only find a way to get rear tires for half price....
Old 10-20-2015, 06:08 AM
Old and dangerous
SuperSport
SuperSport

rz_racer_69 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by AndyMX47
Now if I could only find a way to get rear tires for half price....
Look up Continental ContiMotion if you are looking for a good budget priced (~$100) rear tire that will get you many miles.
Another option is to find a local selling race "takeoffs", although that will dry up over the winter. Can usually get those for $50, but you will use 4 if those in the same time you use one new ContiMotion, and they will be DOT race tires.
I just got tires front and rear, for $183 delivered. Installed them myself with a friend's help, and got them ballanced for $10 each. Total price $203 for two new tires, bought, mounted, balanced, and installed.

Last edited by rz_racer_69; 10-20-2015 at 06:49 AM.
Old 10-20-2015, 06:27 AM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by rz_racer_69
Look up Continental ContiMotion if you are looking for a good budget priced (~$98) tire that will get you many miles.
Another option is to find a local selling race "takeoffs", although that will dry up over the winter. Can usually get those for $50, but you will use 4 if thosr in the same time you use one new ContiMotion.
I just got tires front and rear, for $178 delivered. Installed them myself with a friend's help, and got them ballanced fir $10 each. Total price $198 for two new tires bought mounted ballanced and installed.
Five tire changes will have payed for one of theseUniversal Motorcycle Wheel Balancer
Does the guy in the shop really care if the tire is balanced? Just throwing that out there.
Old 10-20-2015, 12:22 PM
Old and dangerous
SuperSport
SuperSport

Originally Posted by rz_racer_69
Look up Continental ContiMotion

I just got tires front and rear, for $183 delivered.

Dang, I just found a combo deal for $18 less.
$165 delivered! Crazy!
Continental Motion Tire Combo | MotoSport

EVEN LESS!!!
$157 for a fr & rr set delivered!!!! ($95 shipped, for just the rear)
Continental Conti Motion Sport Touring Radial - Z-Rated - Package Specials Competition Accessories

Liking them so far!

Last edited by rz_racer_69; 10-20-2015 at 01:00 PM.
Old 10-20-2015, 03:30 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

My contimotion was okay, but i greatly prefer my bridgestones... 023 rear, 016 front. Got them for like $220 installed.

James
Old 10-21-2015, 01:54 AM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
Guys,

You are lucky over there when it comes to tires.

Here in Oz they are really expensive.

The best that I could do recently was $399 Oz shipped to my door for a set of Bridgestone T30s.

Another 45 for fitting and balancing and that is considered a bargain.

If I just rode in off the street to a bike shop it would be $650 for the same.

This is the first time I have tried Bridgestone but I had no choice as the Dunlop Sportmax D209 are no longer available here.
Old 10-21-2015, 03:47 AM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by kenmoore
Guys,

You are lucky over there when it comes to tires.

Here in Oz they are really expensive.

The best that I could do recently was $399 Oz shipped to my door for a set of Bridgestone T30s.

This is the first time I have tried Bridgestone but I had no choice as the Dunlop Sportmax D209 are no longer available here.
Ouch!!
Old 10-21-2015, 05:28 AM
Back Marker

I turned it into a tire and oil thread! Gotcha!

I used conti-motions once. Rear tire lasted 2,000 miles before it was totally bald all the way to the edges. Got 2,500 out of the front before the edges were past the wear bars. I ride really hard, only in the mountain twisties, never commuting, so it takes its toll on tires. I did get them for $150 for the pair, and install and balance them myself.

Switched to Dunlop RoadSmart II's - same or better grip, good grip in the rain, currently at 3,000 miles, and looks like I'll get at least 500 - 750 more out of the rear. $235 for the pair, so if I get more than 3,200 miles out of them, it's about the same cost per mile as the conti's. Run them all the way to the edge with no worries.

Track day take-offs are a no-go for me - too much risk trying to get track tires (211's or GP-A's) hot on cold pavement. I have a couple friends that sell them, and there's no way I (or they - that's why they sell them) would run them in the mountains - the rubber has heat cycled to the end of its life, and they will not get hot enough on the street to provide reliable grip.

Your results may vary, if you commute, run highway miles, or don't push it in the corners, I bet you'll get double the miles I get out of a set.
Old 10-21-2015, 05:29 AM
Old and dangerous
SuperSport
SuperSport

Originally Posted by kenmoore
Yikes! Biggest shame is the lack of available options to you.

$399Oz=$289US
BikeBandit will send me a pair of T30's for $250US, so maybe not too far off with the extra shipping.

My local dealer offered me their cheapest rear tire at the time, a Shinko for $250 installed ($180 tire + $70 installation). A bridgstone would have been $25-$50 more. So like you, just riding in there and saying I need tires would be crazy.

Doug

Quick Reply: What did you do with your SuperHawk today?