General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Want to improve Jardine High-Mounts...

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 01:29 PM
Back Marker

swaptrex is on a distinguished road
Want to improve Jardine High-Mounts...

I have Jardines on my hawk, but the past owner put it down which roughed them up a lot. I was thinking about re-finishing them some how, replacing the Jardine decal on each one, and clearing over that.. Anyone ever done this to an exhaust? Wondering how to do it the best way, and also what type of black paint to use.

I was also considering taking out the baffles while I have them off to make them louder, but couldn't find anything on here about it. Would it be too loud? (even though I think theres no such thing ) I just don't see how you would go about doing this.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:18 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
It would be like open pipes. VERY loud. You may think it's cool for awhile, but I'm sure it would quickly become annoying. Post up some pics. I had a pair that came with a dropped '99 I bought awhile back and most of the damage (like most mufflers on crashed bikes) was towards the front. I cut about two or three inches out the cans and reassembled them. They still sounded fine, looked even better, and the "repair" was unnoticeable.

As far as refinishing them they're powdercoated. I don't see why you couldn't sand them smooth and either have them powdercoated again, or paint and clearcoat them with a high heat paint. May not be as durable as powdercoat but I'm sure if done carefully and correctly could look nice.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:20 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

Run the bike around for awhile with open midpipes (ouch). That should give you a pretty good idea what hollow cans would sound like.

And I forget do they have a seam on the inside (I don't remember them having one)? If not if & they're clean on the inside you could also just flip the mufflers between sides (you could still cut out any damage towards the front) and get new emblems.

Last edited by captainchaos; 02-09-2010 at 02:23 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:18 PM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
Instead of guttng them shorten them a few inches. It'll make them louder that way
Old 02-09-2010, 04:57 PM
Just Ride
Squid

JoedresVTR is on a distinguished road
I wondered what straight pipes sounded like so I tried her out...for 3 seconds. It sounds like crap... You know, like that douche head every town has with the glued-on mowhawk helmet blazin down the street with his furry CBR F2 sportin hallowed out D&D's with the rear tire cords showin.....you get the picture.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:53 PM
Back Marker

LoL, ya I get the picture...

I'll probably just refinish them, and try to get new emblems somewhere. They just look like **** right now.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:43 PM
Superstock

steve.g is on a distinguished road
I just took the emblems off mine.They are just decals,maybe Jardine will send you some.You can call them at 800-347-8664
Old 02-10-2010, 06:39 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by JoedresVTR
I wondered what straight pipes sounded like so I tried her out...for 3 seconds. It sounds like crap... You know, like that douche head every town has with the glued-on mowhawk helmet blazin down the street with his furry CBR F2 sportin hallowed out D&D's with the rear tire cords showin.....you get the picture.
i was gonna buy a mohawk for my helmet, guess i wont anymore, lol
Old 02-10-2010, 06:39 PM
SuperBike

back on topic when i get my bike back ill try to get you a soundclip of my shortened sp 1's. they sound fantastic
Old 02-11-2010, 02:35 PM
Crash
Superstock

COLE is on a distinguished road
we sell the mohawks here at the cycle shop i work at, i wanted to wear one day just for fun but they like 20$ retail!! too expensive for a joke...
Old 02-11-2010, 03:48 PM
Back Marker

I'm kinda wanting to paint them white when I paint my bike to match, any opinions on how it would turn out? Also, any tutorials on shortening Jardines?
Old 02-11-2010, 05:05 PM
SuperBike

I'd say if your have a big chop saw put on a good blade and go real slow. if not then tape the exhaust off on the side you wanna keep and cut it with a grinder. Cut the baffle inside andthen redrill and rivet the end back on. That's how a buddy of mines been doing it and so far its good. As for painting it white. I'm wondering if the heat would discolor it at all. Give it a shot. Get some high temp paint. Maybe a tremclad and go from there. I'm not sure if you can clear coat it or just wetsand it to a smooth shiney finish.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:52 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

It's not hard. I guess a good chopsaw (go slow like uchi said) is quickest and easiest. I've done a bunch-did it the old fashioned way with a good hacksaw. Takes no time at all though. What I like to do is tape an accurate line around it where I want to cut so it's even. Then just cut it a couple mm's off that. Then I eyeball it smooth and even with a makita grinder. Just did a pair of erions and an m4, and did a pair of the jardines last year and they all turned out great. I forget how the baffles are attached to the endcaps on the jardines. The erions and m4s are nice and easy and are just a slip fit. TBR's are similar but use little delicate fingers that can break. As long as you measure and take your time it's pretty easy. As for as white mufflers? Not for me but it's your bike you should make it look how you want.

Last edited by captainchaos; 02-11-2010 at 05:57 PM. Reason: sp
Old 02-11-2010, 06:03 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
There are examples of members' attempts at shorter cans. I think the aftermarket cans are about 3" too long. When you get much shorter than that it gets a little too loud for me. The exhausts look the best when they are just inside of the tail - not hanging out later.

Try a search for "short cans/exhaust/pipes" et al
Old 02-11-2010, 06:09 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

Originally Posted by nuhawk
There are examples of members' attempts at shorter cans. I think the aftermarket cans are about 3" too long. When you get much shorter than that it gets a little too loud for me. The exhausts look the best when they are just inside of the tail - not hanging out later.

Try a search for "short cans/exhaust/pipes" et al
+1 just my thoughts. That's about the perfect amount to remove. They look "just right" that way and fit the lines of the bike much better. Cut too much and it starts to LOOK like they were shortened.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:09 PM
SuperBike

here are a copy cell phone shots of my setup, when i get the back home ill get some better pics but this will give you an idea.

with the stock tail

Name:  CIMG0037.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  121.3 KB

with the gixxer tail, yes its gonna get painted

Name:  CIMG0059.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  21.8 KB
Old 02-13-2010, 07:20 PM
Back Marker

Thanks guys, I'm still confused about the rivets though. Just drill them out, then what? I just want to have everything in order before I start cutting into a set of $700 cans lol...
Old 02-15-2010, 05:02 AM
SuperBike

yeah man get a small drill and drill out the rivets. the head is bigger than the actual rivet. it looks like a mushroom when its rivited in there so as long as you either get a drill big enough to remove the head, which works but if you go too far and arent careful you can damage the hole the rivet goes through, or you can get a smaller drill and drill the centr of the rivet and the head will just pop off. and then get some new rivets and pop them in.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:29 PM
Squid

crazy1 is on a distinguished road
depends which jardine's you have too.
mine are the RT1's I didn't shorten them at all, but modified the bafles a bit
it was a real pain there are actually 2 separate cores in them.
just shortening them a bit would have been much easier.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:31 PM
Just Ride
Squid

JoedresVTR is on a distinguished road
call jaradine for new stickers and rivets. i finished repacking my high mounts and realized i put the end cap on upside down. i called em and they sent me new stainless rivets and stickers free of charge. good company to deal with.