Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

turning low mounts into high mounts

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 10:17 AM
Back Marker

W-O-T
turning low mounts into high mounts

I have the TBR C5 Carbon Fiber low mounts and really would like to take them to the high mount position. I don't know if I could just buy the intermediate pipes that connect.. can I ? or do I need fab my own...

I think they will look trick being such a big can and just under the tail... the rear pegs will be spaced off the subframe and will still work for the can mount with the can strap inverted...

what do you think>
Old 09-27-2005, 10:25 AM
Superstock

102dals is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: turning low mounts into high mounts

I have Yosh Ti cans, and I'd prefer hi-mounts also.
Has anyone tried this?
Old 09-27-2005, 07:03 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Good news, bad news. Good news first, yes you can buy just the intermediate pipes from 2bros. Bad news, they want $299 for the pipes and $199 for the hangers!

I bought some Jardine high mount pipes from v2weapon, A.K.A. Adam anyone know what happened to him? After our spirited conv. about loud pipes I haven't seen him on the board at all.

Anyway this is how it looks.

I hadn't thought about the way you suggested to mount them, maybe I'll give that a try.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:15 PM
MotoGP

Sorry I wasn't thinking straight there. It's $199 and $99 I called them about 4 months ago and this is what I looked like. That seems like aaaa lot of money for 2 short pipes and hangers but that's just my cheapness coming out. Keep your eyes open for slipons with messed up cans on ebay or spend $300 your choice.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:39 PM
MotoGP

Your idea for the rear pegs didn't work. That is for me any way I don't know if it might work with different pipes. You did however, inspire me to use you upside down muffler hanger though. :wink: I took the hangers that attacth to the bike, swaped sides, bent them and faced them to the back of the bike with only one bolt holding it to the sub-frame. The end result is a much higher high mount that looks much cleaner, thanks!
Old 09-30-2005, 09:21 AM
Back Marker

W-O-T
THATS EXACTLY THE LOOK IM GOING FOR!!!

Glad the inverted straps worked out... you became the test-bed!! lol.....

My only question is.... how did the intermediate pipes allow you to go up that much higher?!?!

It looks GREAT, but can figure it out... the pipe are bent for the first pic location... and now with the modded hangars they are much higher.. THE WAY I LIKE IT...

your insight is requested.... thanks...

BTW... I got a friend who WANTS to build my intermediates for me FOR FREE!!! he likes a challenge!!!!
Old 09-30-2005, 07:29 PM
MotoGP

Actually that was the easy part, all I did was twist the pipe on the right side. The left was even easier, it goes in straight so it just rotated on the header up.

Oh yeah, is this guy any good at bending pipes, does he do mandrel bending? If so you could have him build you a whole system with larger diameter pipes. If he doesn't want to do the whole thing at least go larger on the mid-pipes. My 2Bros had a larger diameter than the jardines and had a lower pitch to them. I don't know if it had more power or not though, I didn't dyno it but it doesn't "feel" like it's lost anything. Either way FREE is always a good deal, if it looks like hell through it out try it again or find some pipes somewhere else.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:07 PM
Back Marker

W-O-T
Good at bending pipes? hehehe.. oh yeah... JD3 bender with all the dies... he builds role cages and tube frames for rock buggies. He's a 4x4 buddy of mine.. and since we wheel Jeeps together.. he's willing to help me out.

I thought about the larger pipes.. but Im restricted to the inlet size of the C5's. Iam prolly going to design a custom connection for the pipes to the stock header sections, due to blowing the seal out a couple times already....

Your idea for a complete custom system isnt bad either... may look into it.. thanks
Old 10-05-2005, 05:12 PM
MotoGP

I think the 2bros were 2 inch and the Jardine's have 1 7/8 with expanded outlet. But hey if it's free lets get exotic!
Old 10-06-2005, 07:42 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road

Mine came with 2bros Ti high mounts which were nearly blown out. Before selling them, I took the mid pipes off and went down to a local muffler shop and had another set made up. They said making bends that tight on small pipes is difficult with their tools but they made due. I selected an independent shop that had a couple of race cars as I thought they'd be more open to trying and they were. Total cost was about $15! 8)

Next, I'm either going to have the mid pipes either hot-coated, chromed, or just paint myself. I have two D&D CF pipes to complete the system. Since I went with RC51 pipes, this mod has been on the back burner for a while; maybe this winter.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:31 AM
MotoGP

I tried that at a couple of "custom" exhaust shops down here they said the same thing but wouldn't do the bends for me.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:50 PM
Back Marker

W-O-T
ok... I mic'd the intermediates and they are indeed 2" OD on the nose.... Im going to buy about 8' of pipe to play with...

I have a feeling the spouts will be a bit further out than they are now with the way the new intermdiates will have to be bent to give room for the foot pegs ( heel room)

We shall see....
Old 10-06-2005, 08:09 PM
MotoGP

If you are going to use passenger pegs, you can make extensions with some square aluminum tubing (oxymoron?) from Home depot or the like. It matches the subframe rails fairly well.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:14 PM
MotoGP

Got any pics, I've been thinking about doing that so the wife can go on 2ups,(not that she's going to).
Old 10-07-2005, 11:01 AM
Back Marker

W-O-T
yeah... I will be moving the rear pegs off the subframe about 1.5" to clear the pipes....

I need to cad something up.. just not in a hurry... I love thinking things thru and finalizing in my head prior to starting... get the mental visual...
Old 10-07-2005, 11:11 AM
MotoGP

Planning!!?? come on now working on the fly is much more fun!
Old 10-07-2005, 04:51 PM
Superstock

102dals is an unknown quantity at this point

Bling,
Did you mount RC51 pipes on yours?

I'm interested in modding the midpipes to get my Yoshi's up. Anyone have "plans" with measurements, etc. for this one?

The look is great, but I must have mounts for passenger pegs.
Old 10-07-2005, 06:00 PM
MotoGP

No, the RC51 pipes mount that way. I just slide the hangars up the muffler after cutting the weld on the backside. You can't use the stock superhawk mounting bracket/passenger pegs with them. My mounts are further back on the subframe.

Here's a crappy photo (the only one I've got) of the square aluminum tubes with the original 2bros highmounts. These "tubes" were a tad too short as the 2bros pipes used springs at the joints which allows them to move some. This caused the peg mounts to rub against the pipes so allow some clearance for movement. You will, of course, need longer bolts too.
Old 10-07-2005, 06:03 PM
MotoGP

Not too shabby, hmmm home depot closes at 10 hmmmm.