General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Track Day Advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 06:44 AM
Superstock

HRCVTR1000 is on a distinguished road
Track Day Advice

I am probably going to do a track day @ Road Atlanta beginning of August . It will be my first track day ( novice class of course ) . I am just wondering what to expect & what I need to to know . Has anyone done Road Atlanta with the Superhawk. My bike is stock with the exception of slip ons & jet kit. Anything I should know about tire pressure & suspension set up ,and also tech inspection I know about removing the turn signals , mirrors , plate , swapping the antifreeze for water/ water wetter & taping up the lights. Is there anything they might not have mentioned ? I think I am good to go as far as gear ( leathers, boots , gloves & helmet ) ? I dont plan on getting out there riding like above my head . I just want to go out and try to be smooth and gain some experience and have some fun !......... But for $230.00 I want to make the most of it
Old 07-07-2007, 07:33 AM
Superstock

RPV-Hawk is on a distinguished road
As far as prep work. They may make you tape over your wheel weights. Some tech inspections do, others don't. I would also reccomend you tape over your speedo, for the first couple of track sections. You want to ride by feel/comfort factor. You don't want to look down and suddently freak out because the speedo says you're doing 90 going into a sharp corner... Cover the speedo and ride by comfort/feel.

Regarding tire/pressure. When you get to the track day, I'm almost guaranteeing you that there will be a guy there selling/installing track tires. Ask him. Let him know you are a novice, and not sure where to "start" your tire pressures. He'll give you a baseline "hi/low" pressure setting based of which tires you have, your limited track experience, and the ambient temps that day. Then you can play with the pressures from there. Personally, I like to start at the "high" end of the reccomended settings, then let air out, since I can do that quickly in the pits and get back out. If you start on the bottom of the air pressure scale, you've gotta find a compressor hose to air up before going back out. Just my $0.02 on air pressure.

Regarding suspension. This one is VERY subjective. I would highly reccomend that you start farting around with your suspension NOW.
First thing. write down where your bike is now. Write down all of your settings so that you can return to "now" and the way your bike is now setup.
I'm assuming you've got the stock rear shock, in which case, there isn't much you can do on the back end. Try raising the rear pre-load up one notch, then go for a ride down your favorite set of twisties. Is it TOO stiff? Then back it down a notch. Still soft? Go up another notch.

You don't say how much you weight. I'd need to know that to reccomend front end settings.

Oh, other advise.
Don't Crash
Let the faster riders pass you (it's easier to pick up tips/tricks following the faster riders
Don't Crash
Old 07-07-2007, 08:35 AM
Superstock

Oh sorry about that , I am 185 lbs . Thanks RPV
Old 07-07-2007, 09:44 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
non-bike related,,,,,
---use the month to work on fitness. You may already be an athlete and workout regularly. but it will be tiring and hot, so if not, working on cardio in the month and some weight training would make the day a lot less tiring. You will be suprised how much energy it takes.
--pick up a copy of keith code's twist of the wrist - lots of good concepts to consider before going.
--relax and have fun while you are there. keep reciting, it is not a race it is not a race. you will be tempted to go faster and faster, but more useful, and safe to work on technique and being smooth.
Old 07-07-2007, 11:26 AM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
HYDRATE, HYDRATE, HYDRATE, oh and bring some snacks to munch on and don't forget to HYDRATE!!!!!! Seriously though drink LOTS of fluid in the summer even if you think you've had enough drink some more. If you feel like your getting dizzy out on the track pull WAY off and wait for them to get you, I know a guy that crashed because he didn't get off. Bring some kind of shade and something to sit on, relax, breathe normally and have FUN!! If you want go to www.blokessportbike.com some of those guys are going to that day as well. Most of them are great people and alot of them have been there before and could give you actual tips on the way the track is set up.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:37 PM
Superstock

Thanks everyone for all the advice . I went ahead and signed up & paid today , I am just waiting on the confirmation email . ( I hope the novice class is not full already ) I cant wait . A buddy of mine ( all he does is track days) is going to help me out over the next month getting everything set up . And along with you guys advice I should be ready to go ! Once again ...Thanks
Old 07-10-2007, 06:17 AM
Superstock

Lefin102 is on a distinguished road
Make sure you have good quality safety equipment.
Use a good back protector it will save you ***.
No back protector don't go!!