General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Tire question

Old 08-04-2008, 07:56 PM
Squid

mfbfl is on a distinguished road
Tire question

I know that many people have asked this question. And I know I could start an arguement with the varying opinions about this subject matter. I have just bought my 04 VTR w/ 6k miles. The front tire has a few weeks/months on it at best. The rear is better off but I am thinking about changing both of them to start fresh. I think there are Dunlops on there now.

I need a sport tire with some tread life. So Pilots and track focused tires are not the right answer for me. I want some tire life, but a touring tire would never work I know. I am looking for some suggestions from you guys that I might look at.

Here are some that I have considered. Metzler M-1, Pirelli Diablo and Diablo Rosso, Dunlop Qualifier, Continentals, other Michelins. I always heard that due to the "tuned flex" built into the VTR that you should stick with the stock tire. Thats not an option anymore, so I have to look elsewhere.

I am guessing I need to stick to an average to sticky tire to stay within the "focus" Honda intended with the engine/frame design, suspension and tire choice. Thus that is why I have asked about the tires I did. The super sticky tires woudl not work because they would never give me the life I need. And I would never need a tire that has such a high threshold. I will likely never see the track.

Anyone had any tires they love and would replace "forever", or are any that you would avoid at all cost, either brand or specific design. Much appreciated.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:04 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
You are right you'll get lots of opinions - you could search and save some time. I posted a similar question about 2 months ago and went with Dunlop Qualifiers because of the stock I placed in those recommending them. I have have most of the others at one time except the other more modern ones you listed. These are really great tires - fast warm up, excellent traction wet or dry and very very neutral handling. I have heard similar great things about the new Diablo Rosso's as well.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:28 PM
Squid

59burst is on a distinguished road
I just put on a set of the diablo rosso's. so far, they've been absolutely superb. heat up fast and stick like glue.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:45 PM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Pilot Road2s sound like a good candidate for you.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:54 PM
Uhhhhh..huh.huh..Member..
Superstock

Springbubba is on a distinguished road
I've got the Pilot Road 2's with about 400 miles on them. The little nubs are just starting to come off the middle of them. A week ago I railed them in some twisties for 10 miles, and they were PERFECT. I felt like they were taking care of me.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:28 PM
SuperSport

Death Cattle is on a distinguished road
shinko 005 advance for me. i love them so far. even when they were brand new, i could push them in the corners. i have almost 2000 miles on them and the tread just started to show actual wear not too long ago.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:13 PM
Superstock

Anto is on a distinguished road
Look into the Bridgestone Bt-016's.

Summary:
5 Layer compound rear
3 layer front

20+ journalists on a range of bikes -
not one crash.

I'm looking into these as my next tire

http://www.visordown.com/motorcyclen...erez/3974.html

Bridgestone BT016 launch - Jerez
By Visordown News

Visordown Motorcycle News
More than 2800 laps of Jerez were ridden on the new BT016

HYPERSPORTS RUBBER accounts for around 50% of the 3.3 million tyres sold in Europe each year, making it the largest sector in the bike tyre market. Visordown went to the launch of new BT016 sports tyre at Jerez this week to find out what Bridgestone's latest multi-compound rubber had to offer.

Bridgestone have been using multi-compound tyres for over twenty years and the company claim the new BT016 represents their best effort yet. The front BT016 is made up from what Bridgestone calls 3LC (three layer compound) which means the centre compound's harder than the outside to help prolong tyre life, while giving good feedback when the bike's cranked over. The rear BT016 is made up of a 5 layer compound - a firm centre, encased by a softer mid-section designed for maximising drive out of corners and on the outside of the tyre is an edge compound, for when the bike's cranked over at maximum lean. Sounds good enough but does it actually work?

Three-layer front and five-layer rear on the new BT016

Let's put it like this: tyre launches are totally different to bike launches. Around 20 journalists are let loose around a MotoGP circuit on machines ranging from a BMW R1200 to the new 180bhp ZX-10R. That's 20 pumped-up, adrenalin-fuelled, egotistical riders giving it absolutely everything they've got all day long. It's a recipe for utter carnage. But despite the potential for mayhem we found the tyres warmed quickly, delivered consistent lap times and only degraded in performance when the tyre had reached the end of its life - around 1000 miles of hard track use.

Entry speed into the circuit's fast, sweeping bends steadily increased as confidence grew and the lap times dropped. Some of us had a moment or two from the rear end due to getting on the gas too hard, which can happen on any tyre, but the BT016 warns you're asking too much from its steel-belted carcas well in advance with a lazy twitch rather than a vicious ******. The track performance is so impressive it's hard to believe Bridgestone are marketing the BT016 as a road tyre.

I could try to bamboozle you with the technical blurb thrown at us during the press conference but I reckon the following paragraph sums up Bridgestone's new tyre better than any performance chart:

At the close of play around 2800 laps had been completed by a host of testers ranging from ex-GP Gods to mere mortals like me. That's almost 9000 miles of near flat-out riding, with a generous smattering of panic braking, hefty throttle abuse and a healthy dose of missed apexes in over 30,000 corners. But despite riding as hard as we dared all day long we all kept it sunny side up - no highsides, no lowsides - nothing. That's impressive.

30,000 corners and not one spill - impressive stuff

The new BT016 looks likely to maintain Bridgestone's position in the Hypersports tyre market, as we reckon it's one of the best road-based sports tyres we've tested. We'll give you another report once we've tested the tyre on UK roads in the wet.

If you're a road rider that enjoys a bit of track action every now and again then give a set a go - they're available on the 'net for just over £200 a pair. We reckon you won't be disappointed.

For more info on the tyre BT016 go to: Battlax.co.uk

Old 08-05-2008, 12:19 AM
Thats Mr Dill hole to you
Superstock

filter69 is on a distinguished road
my 2 cents if your not soop-er agressive on street then a bt-14 sorta fast wear good stick
or bt-16 good mileage ok stick or a shinko 005 (runnning right now) good wear not to sticky but the point at which they break loose is very preditable... i kinda like power slidin around curves and corners
Old 08-07-2008, 05:23 PM
AFL
Squid

AFL is on a distinguished road
Not sure if you guys get them in the US or if they are called the same but I run Continental Sport Attacks. Seem to be a very good tyre. They heat up really quickly and are multiple compound tyres. Go to the Continental tyre web site and have a look. They stick like **** to a blanket!
Old 08-07-2008, 06:26 PM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
michelin road 2
Old 08-07-2008, 06:29 PM
Uhhhhh..huh.huh..Member..
Superstock

Springbubba is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by AFL
They stick like **** to a blanket!
I won't ask how you know that......
Old 08-07-2008, 06:45 PM
Shredding Asphalt
Superstock

MisfitToy is on a distinguished road
I would say go with the road2's as well. I got the power 2's and love them but I was wanting a twistie tire more than commuting. I think the road2's will be your best bet
Old 08-07-2008, 06:50 PM
Honducati
SuperSport

jbaxx is on a distinguished road
There are so many good tires out there right now - hard to go wrong. Even Sport-Touring tires have tremendous grip these days.

Any of the suggestions already made would be great. Personally, I'm gonna try the new Bridgestone BT-016. Looks like an awesome tire, and the prices are really good too.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:22 PM
AFL
Squid

Originally Posted by Springbubba
I won't ask how you know that......

A common saying her in Aus!
Old 08-07-2008, 07:43 PM
Back Marker

mcdoggy2000 is on a distinguished road
I had Metzeler M-1 on '96 VFR750, It is very good high grip tire, but rear tire wear a lot, maybe I am on gas happy on the exit of corner....not sure, but I don't think it is ideal for commuter.

Now I have Pilot road2s on '98 VTR and very natural handling and harder.
however, I felt M-1 was more grippy and provide me more traction feel.
not same bike so can't compare, but just how I felt.

I heard Metzeler M-3 is improved version of M-1 and center is harder compound. is anybody here use Metzeler M-3 on SH?
Old 08-07-2008, 09:07 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by AFL
A common saying her in Aus!
Kinda like "throw another shrimp on the barbie"?

I just hope you don't mix up the two.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:27 PM
AFL
Squid

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
Kinda like "throw another shrimp on the barbie"?

I just hope you don't mix up the two.

Probably not the tread to continue with but we really don’t have shrimps here. We have prawns. (Big suckers)

BBQ’s consist of steak, rissoles (burgers), snags (sausages), onions and guys standing around drinking beer. Our female counterparts make the salads etc that go with the meat and beer. (Not really but we can only hope) Not may prawns get BBQ’d. Much the same as your BBQ’s.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:36 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by AFL
Not sure if you guys get them in the US or if they are called the same but I run Continental Sport Attacks. Seem to be a very good tyre. They heat up really quickly and are multiple compound tyres. Go to the Continental tyre web site and have a look. They stick like **** to a blanket!
Yeh, we gottem here. I just happened to check how many miles on my rr road attack and sport front, 6100 and the rear is squaring off good. Front shows a hair of block misalignment which is not the same as cupping but a similar thing. I don't push the front hard and its shoulders are not scrubbed much closer than 3/4" to the edge. The rear is scrubbed to within a 1/4" of the edge but now fights turning in due to the squaring. Rrs on a VTR hava a 1/2 life of the ft, unless you go track sticky but then you may over ride the rear. Compromises are a reality of dollars per mile. For stree use, unless your near twisties, which around here take an hour or 2 to get to and are not much to speak of compared to god's roads in some places, mileage on the rr is thus most important. As others have said, even sport touring rubber these days sticks dam good and feel from both Contis is adequate if not overwhelming. I don't know how much they've gone up, maybe 20% and the roads are more than the sports. Deals can be had for $230 or so to your door still maybe. I don't think the Shinkos are any less, and most Duns, Bridges, Michs, Pers and Metzs are more. Conti has been making 2 wheel rubber as long as about anybody, as has Avon (which have gone up more).

I have a sent of Conti Ultra Gatorskins on one of my bicycles. Kevlar belts are wonderful but not bulletproof.

Go for what you want to spend and you won't go wrong these days.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:47 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by AFL
Probably not the tread to continue with but we really don’t have shrimps here. We have prawns. (Big suckers)

BBQ’s consist of steak, rissoles (burgers), snags (sausages), onions and guys standing around drinking beer. Our female counterparts make the salads etc that go with the meat and beer. (Not really but we can only hope) Not may prawns get BBQ’d. Much the same as your BBQ’s.
Much the same as our BBQ's here in California. I was referring to a TV commercial that was run here in the '80s for the Auzzie Tourism Board featuring Paul Hogan, in which he said "We'll throw another shrimp on the barbie for ya".
Of course I'm sure the commercial never ran down there.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:16 PM
AFL
Squid

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
Much the same as our BBQ's here in California. I was referring to a TV commercial that was run here in the '80s for the Auzzie Tourism Board featuring Paul Hogan, in which he said "We'll throw another shrimp on the barbie for ya".
Of course I'm sure the commercial never ran down there.

Hahaha..Paul Hogan. Yeah the ad never ran here only because we would all laugh at it. I have a buddy from San Fran here at the moment. The first thing he asked when he arrived in Aus was "can we have Shrimps on the BBQ one weekend. The ad must have worked on you guys to some degree.

P.S Paul Hogan was on 60 minutes last Sunday night being investigated for tax fraud by the Aus Taxation office and your IRS.