General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Tire combo question

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 04:35 PM
Squid

mad342 is on a distinguished road
Tire combo question

I am looking into replacing my front tire with a Michelin Pilot Power 3 soon. My question is that I have a Bridgestone BT014 on the rear that looks fairly new and am wondering if I should replace the front and rear at the same time or can I run this combo (PP3 front, BT014 rear) until the rear wears out? I only have a couple years experience with street bikes and am not pushing too hard into the corners just yet. Just looking for some experience.

Mike
Old 04-23-2013, 05:00 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Well you could be ok or you could wind up in the ditch....kind of depends on your riding skills.

Mixing tires from different manufacturers can (though not always) cause some weird handling issues.

So if you feel you can handle it if the bike does something odd, then go ahead.

If you question your ability to do that (and there is nothing wrong with admitting this) then at least stick to the same brand.

You can try running a littler harder tire in the rear if you like but that is about as far as I would recomend until you have more riding time. YMMV
Old 04-23-2013, 05:05 PM
SuperBike

HRCA#1 is on a distinguished road
Always, always replace tires of like brand and type. You can throw on a fresh "stone" front and that's fine. Better yet replace as a set, any brand.

The same is true of sprockets and chains, you do the sprockets whenever you do the chain or vice versa!

The tire constructions can be vastly different and put you on your ear faster than almost anything I can think of other than gravel!
Old 04-23-2013, 05:07 PM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
A combo that has worked well for me is is the pilot power in the front and a pilot road 2 in the back. I would never track this combo but for me it works for spirited street and commuting.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:12 PM
SuperSport

matt365 is on a distinguished road
Honestly, contrary to what everyone else is telling you, I'd do it. A new PP3 front is going to feel worlds better than an old warn out tire with that new-er bridgestone rear.

You're going to kill a rear tire long before you eat up the front anyways, so when the 'stone' is done on the rear, you put a fresh PP3 on it, and the front and new rear should wear and be finished at the same mileage.

The difference in profiles may feel a little weird, but if you're not tracking the bike or riding like a mad fool, I'd say the difference is negligible.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:26 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Have to agree w/ Matt on this one. After a 12 year loyalty to Metzeler, I just spooned on a Bridgestone BT023 rear. My front was somewhat new Metz Z6. First ride I took it a little more easy than normal, my last ride was an aggressive run w/ no issues what-so-ever. I've never worn out a front/rear combo @ the same time and I ain't wasting money throwing away a half to two thirds wore front! And I've had no issues replacing them that way.

Try it out with caution.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:34 PM
Squid

mad342 is on a distinguished road
I have plenty of motorcycle experience, just mainly in the dirt. Enough that I think I would notice any type of funny handling characteristics. I'm kinda thinking that by the end of summer I will throw the rear on to match the front. Or I have a spare rear rim that I may throw the BT014 on and sell as a ready to go rear rim/tire? Hmmmmm....decisions, decisions