General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Thinking about trading for a 02 SuperHawk

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 06:28 PM
Squid

GrapeApe is on a distinguished road
Thinking about trading for a 02 SuperHawk

Im looking at a 2002 SH with about 20k on it. Anything i should look for?

Thanks
Old 07-14-2012, 07:22 PM
Back Marker

kardiac996 is on a distinguished road
Anytime I purchase used bikes I look for records of maintenance if available. This will serve a good understanding on the bikes overall health since your looking for the 20k mark. Its a good practice to check easily visible items such as

-Tire wear
- Brake wear
- Chain condition
- Fluid levels
- Suspension action F&R
- Paint condition/fairings/handlebars/mirrors
- These will dictate a drop or repairs. I tend to buy bike that have original paint as it usually has not bee repainted to cover for major fairing damage from wrecks.

If you can test ride it, the bike should tell you its story... Listen for noises and feel for issues. Sometimes you can get so caught up with the purchase you can overlook the latter.

Most forum members I including typically will recommend the following Upgrades. Manual CCT's (Cam Chain Tensoners) Suspension upgrades if your over 170lbs.

Hope this helps and good luck, The hawk is a great bike!
Old 07-14-2012, 07:47 PM
Superstock
Superstock

davidka is on a distinguished road
I weigh 170, the fork springs are way too soft. The rear is ok.

These are pretty reliable. Look for missing fasteners holding body parts on (a hint that it's been crashed, body mounts bent/broken). If you see any indication that body parts have been replaced, start jerking/shaking things looking for bushing/bearing wear. When bikes get crashed, sometimes the console is replaced and that 20k might not be real.

Look for anything worn out, 20k is pretty light on these if they've been ridden lightly.

If these things look good, get it. This is a bike that genuinely expresses the cliche' "they don't make them like this anymore".