General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Switching from VFR to VTR

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 01:58 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Moto Man
Yeah they went down hill from the 2nd gen in my book; Though I did like the single sided swingarm on the 3rd gen. But I have NT650 to satisfy that craving!
I beg to differ...
The 5th gen was the peak, a 6th gen with a 5th gen motor would of been premium.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:07 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Superbling's latest reincarnation of a fourth is a testiment to its racey nature. I have a 97 that I bought out of a storage shed with 2980 miles on it. I just laughed at the boys as I loaded it up. I told them as I strapped it down, "Even you guys couldn't **** this up!"

An oil change, an air filter, some new tires (thanks to the afore mentioned) and this thing has run like a scalded dog ever since. I can't hear the cams anymore due to the high-mount D&D can.

It now has 7k on the clock and is still one of the best bikes on the road. Period!

Like Inde suggests this one was the closest to perfection. The Fi models 98 through 01 were truly the peak machines. The next year the bike gained 70 pounds.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:45 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
The only VF/VFR/Interceptor I wouldn't care to own is the current generation 2002+ Porkmaster 800. I've owned 2 1983 VF750F Interceptors, 'cause the first one got stolen, I bought the second one in '84 and I've still got it. Even in stock trim, the '83 is lighter and quarter mile quicker than the newest ones. I consider that obscene. And BTW, an '83 V45 Interceptor will cream ANY VFR '86-'08 in a top gear roll on.

I found an old CYCLE magazine in the garage two days ago, testing the first VFR (second Interceptor) from 1986. Wet weight 505 lbs. 0-60? 2.4 seconds (!) Quarter mile ET? 10.95, 22 years old and quicker than any VFR since. No excuse for that.

Besides my '83, I'd like to have an '86 and a '00 Pearl yellow. A well set up '83 VF750F can't compare to todays sportbikes, but if you ride a good one you realize it makes everything else from its era feel like a model T. With the possible exception of the original CB750, it's the most important bike of the last 50 years. I'll never sell mine.
Old 05-02-2008, 07:53 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
There are three 00 yellows on Austin Craigslist right now. If I had the coin I would be picking one up to repaint it.
Old 05-03-2008, 12:05 AM
RK1
MotoGP

Originally Posted by nuhawk
There are three 00 yellows on Austin Craigslist right now. If I had the coin I would be picking one up to repaint it.

I like the yellow, but to each his own. If it's a bike I like I really don't care what color it is... as long as it's not red. I like that Kawi squished catapillar green color more than all red.

Last edited by RK1; 05-03-2008 at 12:28 AM.
Old 05-03-2008, 12:29 AM
MotoGP

+1 on the yellow, I think it really works well for that bike.
Old 05-03-2008, 12:43 AM
RK1
MotoGP

Yeah, I like yellow in the first place. I think yellow Ducati and Ferrari look cooler than the red ones. And since it seems 90+% of all VFRs are red, the yellow ones are a nice change. Other countries got blue VFRs 5th and 6th gen, they're cool too.
Old 05-03-2008, 09:14 PM
Rooster Wolf
Back Marker

VFR79 is on a distinguished road
In a way, I'm disappointed that the VFR evolved from sportbike to sport touring bike. Don't get me wrong, I think they are great for what they are and what they can do. The bike performs great and has a loyal following. But with the production of the ST1300 (and previously the ST1100) for a sport-tourer, it's surprising that Honda doesn't give the VFR its sporting edge back. C'mon, they build a race bike powered by an 800cc V4 for MotoGP. And all we see on the CBRs every year is "MotoGP inspired." WTF?!?!?!

Ok, I feel better now.
Old 05-03-2008, 09:33 PM
Duc Hawk
SuperSport

Moto Man is on a distinguished road
Yeah I've been hoping that the V4 800 MotoGP bike would have some "lessons" for the VFR and return her to the sport that she once was. Maybe honda will do it we can only hope.
Old 05-03-2008, 09:38 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

joshuatest is an unknown quantity at this point
They had a leftover 07 (i think) VFR when I got my Superhawk in December... I strongly considered that as an option, but in the long run, the 800 they are using is underpowered, and to top it off, the anniversary addition paint scheme just doesn't do it for me... Kinda blue/white/red thing...

The SuperHawk was several thousand cheaper, (new 03 vs new 07 at that), and while the bike was fully faired, which I liked, I just wanted something a little more playful.

I gotta say though, if they did turn it back into a sportier bike, I would surely consider one in the future. Very comfy ride though...
Old 05-03-2008, 10:04 PM
Theoretical Physicist
Squid

vtecv4 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Moto Man
Yeah I've been hoping that the V4 800 MotoGP bike would have some "lessons" for the VFR and return her to the sport that she once was. Maybe honda will do it we can only hope.
I've been waiting about 4 years for a new one. Thought for sure in 06 with al the photoshop 'prototypes' floating.

From what I recall they was a rumor of combining the Blackbird and VFR to make it a hyper bike like the busas and now the zx14. That'd be something I'd be interested in. I put a ton of miles on my vfr and I don't know how many times at WOT that I thought to myself "I wish this thing had more juice."
Old 05-03-2008, 10:35 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by joshuatest
They had a leftover 07 (i think) VFR when I got my Superhawk in December... I strongly considered that as an option, but in the long run, the 800 they are using is underpowered.
My old '04 VTEC kept up with my buddies '98 VTR no problem. It's quite a feat considering the VFR is down 200cc's and weighs 50lb's more.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:32 AM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

joshuatest is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't know... after riding one, I just didn't feel the grunt that the VTR puts out.... And hell, when compared to most I4 1000cc bikes, we are on the low HP side.... Lots of torque in the right places does more than make up for it in my book, but still... riding the VFR was seriously comfy, but just didn't feel like i could abuse it quite as easy...
Old 05-05-2008, 09:10 AM
Rooster Wolf
Back Marker

Gentlemen, I have made an executive decision regarding the purchase of the VTR....

I went to Matt's house Saturday after I got off work and got to test ride his 98 VTR. First let me say that this bike is as clean as a whistle! I could swear that he had stored the bike since day 1. (And, yes, he's the original owner.) He fired the bike up, and I smiled...a lot. He let the bike off the rear stand and said, "Go for a ride, and don't hurry back." Alright!

First impression: this bike has a much more aggressive seating position than what I'm used to. My feat were further back and up, had to get a little used to that. The handlebars are further down, and I found that laying on the tank felt good. However, that tank has a great shape that allows it to be gripped with your legs.

Second impression: torque, torque, and more torque! The only I4 I've ever owned was a 1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special, and I once rode a buddies Blackbird in a parking lot (and it was a small parking lot; first gear only ). Ok, so I'm no expert when it comes to I4 engines. But, if my V4 is producing torque, then this bike is producing MEGAtorque! Wow, I couldn't get over the way that engine pulls!!!

Third impression (and probably the most important ): I have never been on a bike that produces a sound as orgasmic as the VTR! She's got a 2Bros high mount setup: looks good, sounds great. I really like the sound my 93 VFR makes with the 2Bros; she growls quite nicely. But the VTR....my goodness!

Now, one of the nice features of my VFR is that I know I can ride all day in comfort. And while most of my riding is commuting, I do take a few trips a year out of state. So the long distance comfort is pretty important to me. Another nice feature is the big fuel capacity and good fuel mileage. However, none of that really went through my mind during my test ride. All I was thinking was: holy crap this bike is fun!, holy crap this bike handles great!, and holy crap this bike sounds grrrrrreat! Whenever I'd lay down on the tank I was in that nice buffer zone from the wind. Well, I'd give it gas and let off the throttle to hear the bike accelerate and decelerate. That mean sounding bike made me laugh! I was that extatic over it!

I pulled back in Matt's driveway, turned the bike off and took my gear off. "So, how was it?" I just kinda stood there with a smile on my face, I didn't know where to start! He said, "it's like having sex a different way." Well, to alter what was said earlier: Riding the VFR is like having good sex with your pretty wife; you know what your gettin' and the gettin' is pretty good. Riding the VTR is like having GREAT sex with that hotter than hell redhead from down the street that you've always wanted to have a go at, but never thought you could get away with it. Well, now I've had a go with that hot redhead, and the wifey is for sale. Uh, I mean the VFR is for sale...(jeez, if my wife read that I'd have to buy her flowers or something! )

The purchase will happen within the next week or two. Matt is out of town quite a bit right now, so we'll get together when he's got some downtime. Needless to say, I can't wait! I had the final ride on the VFR yesterday. Had some nice saddletime, took her home, gave the chain a lube, gave her a bath, and now she awaits the next owner.

Oh, here's a picture I snapped at his house. I'll take some more when I get it home, but for now:

Name:  SNC14208.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  105.0 KB
Old 05-05-2008, 09:42 AM
I could ride in
SuperBike

LineArrayNut is on a distinguished road
+1 for redhead sex!
Old 05-05-2008, 09:57 AM
'Bring it...'
Back Marker

RocketBabe923 is on a distinguished road
Name:  SNC14208.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  105.0 KB[/quote]

I notice that you have a "Corbin" seat on her.... can you tell me what you think of it? I'm considering getting one... my 'girlie' butt after an all day ride... well I was walking kind of funny, but didn't want to spend that kind of mula with out some input.

thanx!
Old 05-05-2008, 10:16 AM
I could ride in
SuperBike

LineArrayNut is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

i sure like my sargent, money well spent.
i'm such a
Old 05-05-2008, 10:29 AM
Honducati
SuperSport

jbaxx is on a distinguished road
One word: NICE.

Oh yeah, +1 for hot redhead sex.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:44 AM
Rooster Wolf
Back Marker

Ah yes, the Corbin seat. First, I only test rode the bike for about 10-15 miles. Second, I have no idea what the stock seat feels like. However, it feels very nice compared to my stock 93 VFR seat, and that is not bad to me as it is. That being said, it's gotta be worth the money. It's very comfy and my a$$ was pretty happy with it.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:24 AM
'Bring it...'
Back Marker

RocketBabe923 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VFR79
Ah yes, the Corbin seat. First, I only test rode the bike for about 10-15 miles. Second, I have no idea what the stock seat feels like. However, it feels very nice compared to my stock 93 VFR seat, and that is not bad to me as it is. That being said, it's gotta be worth the money. It's very comfy and my a$$ was pretty happy with it.
Thanks for the info!

And I do love your bike!!! Beeaaauuutttiiifffuuullll!!!
Old 05-05-2008, 04:40 PM
Rooster Wolf
Back Marker

Originally Posted by jbaxx
One word: NICE.
Originally Posted by RocketBabe923
And I do love your bike!!! Beeaaauuutttiiifffuuullll!!!
Thanks for the compliments guys! I just can't wait to go pick her up this week. Guess I better start conditioning my face for the ride home. It's gonna be sore from all the smiling!
Old 05-05-2008, 05:49 PM
MotoGP

That '98 looks to be in great condition, also looks like it comes with some nice mods!
-Corbin seat
-Double bubble windscreen
-Two Bros. pipes
-steel braided lines
-Heli bars
-flush mounts
-foot pegs
Old 05-05-2008, 06:53 PM
Rooster Wolf
Back Marker

If I understand correctly, they are the Kevlar lines. Either way, that thing knows how to stop.

And those are Two Brothers clip-ons. I didn't know they ever made them, but my friend is the original owner. Guess they made some back in the day. The nice thing about those is that you can adjust them up and down as well as back and forth (I believe). Kinda like having adjustable rearsets for your wrists.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:13 AM
Squid

MotorToad is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by inderocker
Originally Posted by MotorToad:
I'd rather have a SV-1000
I admit I don't see where that's funny. Have you ridden an SV-1000?
Old 05-13-2008, 09:56 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by MotorToad
I admit I don't see where that's funny. Have you ridden an SV-1000?
Owned an '03 SV1000S...
Old 05-13-2008, 09:59 AM
Squid

MotorToad is on a distinguished road
Okay, so instead of an icon, could you enlighten us with what you didn't like about it?
Old 05-13-2008, 10:47 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by MotorToad
Okay, so instead of an icon, could you enlighten us with what you didn't like about it?
No need to get too bent out of shape...

I'd actually own one again... and plan on it. I wouldn't replace my VTR with an SV1000S, but I might replace it for an SV1000. I hated the styling, seating position and working on the SV1000S (compared to the VTR). I like how the VTR is kinda "low tech" and rough around the edges, it's almost kinda nostalgic in a way.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:44 AM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

divingindaytona is an unknown quantity at this point
inderocker - you ever have any seat time on a TL? I would love to know your (or anyones) thoughts on the differences between the SV1000 and TL1000.

Threadjack
Old 05-13-2008, 03:18 PM
MotoGP

I have very limited time on both the TL & TLR. Like vtrjake said, I too thought the TLR's steering was heavy plus I'm not too hot for the looks or the funky rear shock. The TL was light and nimble and I would consider that, but like the LR I was all too stoked about the looks or the rear shock setup.