General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Switching from VFR to VTR

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 09:06 PM
Rooster Wolf
Back Marker

VFR79 is on a distinguished road
Switching from VFR to VTR

I posted a similar thread on VFRDiscussion and I got some really good feedback, and thought I would get some feedback from the VTR world.

I've had my current bike, a 1993 VFR750, for close to 2 years. The V4 is a great engine, the bike rides really well, and the all white is just damn sexy. Gotta love that exposed SSSA! The plan all along was to keep this bike until the end of time and add other bikes to the stable. Recently, I thought about picking up a used SV650 to commute with and use the VFR purely for play. One thing led to another and I started thinking about the VTR. But, in order to add a bike, I'll have to sell the VFR. (And I'm sure I'll regret it down the road!) While I love the bike, I'm looking for something "different" at the same time.

A customer of our shop is getting ready to sell his 98/99 Superhawk, and I've been talking to him for some time now about the sale. One of those, "If you ever decide to sell the bike, let me know." I'm not sure how many miles, and he hasn't set a price yet, but I've pretty much made up my mind that I'd like to buy it off of him. I've known him for a while, and I trust him. The bike will come with some nice upgrades: a couple of exhausts, a few windscreens, steel braided lines, rearsets, and it has been jetted and tuned. He's gonna bring it to the shop so I can ride it and see what I think. I have a strong feeling that I'll like it!

What are some things you guys like and dislike about the Superhawk? For those who have or had VFRs, how would you compare the two?

BTW, this looks to a pretty neat site. Perhaps I'll be a permanent member soon!
Old 04-28-2008, 11:25 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey! Since I've already put my 2 cents in at VFRD I'll just take this opportunity to say, Welcome to the forum!!

Last edited by inderocker; 04-28-2008 at 11:31 PM.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:35 PM
Squid

Veles is on a distinguished road
the only immediate thing that deterred me away from a vtr was that it was carburated, i dealt with a lot of carbs and was just ready to upgrade to efi and not have to jet or clean it ever again.

fortunately i have had zero problems with the carbs so im really happy

never rode a vfr 750 but from the specs the sh is lighter and has a more modern chassis and suspension, sh also has more torque
Old 04-29-2008, 04:53 AM
Back Marker

Hammer7205 is on a distinguished road
my first real nice bike was a Interceptor 700 (pearl White '87). I then upgraded to a brand new VFR 750, I bought the '92 black one. It was the same bike as yours, only black. Kind of a sweet bike. I sold that bike in '98 when I got married, started a business, had kids, etc.... Two years ago, I decided to get back in to motorcycling, and had two bikes in mind - the VFR or the SuperHawk. I am ecstatic I went w/ the SH instead of the VFR. The VTR is just a "funner" ride, easier to wheelie, corners like a mother, and if you put a good pipe on her, sounds like a stock car coming at you. The VFR tends to be a little faster, and is the classier ride. My best friend, and riding partner has an '02 Interceptor. It's fast, a little bit more classy, but he admits my the VTR is a lot more of a rip to ride. The biggest adjustment I had to make between the VTR and the VFR was the lower RPM's on the VTR. I kept wanting to wind it up like I used to on the V Four. Other than that, it was a smiles. Go for the SH, you won't regret it...
Old 04-29-2008, 06:21 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
I've owned four VFR's and two VTR's and if you did a straight comparison of features, the VFR wins; however,.........

The VFR is the girl next door you know you should marry but the VTR is the hot red head across town you always think about.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:35 AM
Honducati
SuperSport

jbaxx is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by inderocker
Hey! Since I've already put my 2 cents in at VFRD I'll just take this opportunity to say, Welcome to the forum!!
Me too. Welcome!
Old 04-29-2008, 08:38 AM
Honducati
SuperSport

BTW, your pearl white '93 VFR looks great. That would be a tough bike to get rid of.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:18 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by superbling
I've owned four VFR's and two VTR's and if you did a straight comparison of features, the VFR wins; however,.........

The VFR is the girl next door you know you should marry but the VTR is the hot red head across town you always think about.
You kind sir have a way with words...

Bad: The fuel range on the stock tank if you are thinking of "touring"...

Good: It will put a smile on your face every freaking time you ride it...

Last edited by Tweety; 04-29-2008 at 09:23 AM.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:14 AM
Duc Hawk
SuperSport

Moto Man is on a distinguished road
I've had a 1st and 2nd gen VFR and other Honda V twins as well. While you will miss the gear drivin whine of the VFR you love the bottom end punch/raw power and much simpler engine of the VTR. The VTR is closer to the 2nd gen VFR in fun factor.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:29 AM
Back Marker

J.J. is on a distinguished road

SO true. Ive had two VFRs and my VTR, and I couldnt agree more. I think the 1998-2001 (or whenever they changed it) VFR 800 might be the best bike ever made. Thats a damn sexy bike also, AND the exhaust note is sweet. Oh and its faster, and has a much better range.. Anyhow, its a tough choice, sort of like "do you want a bj, or sex?". Either way, you'll be happy...
Old 04-29-2008, 12:12 PM
Theoretical Physicist
Squid

vtecv4 is on a distinguished road
I'm in the same boat man. I want something different i.e. the reason why I'm looking for a VTR but I also miss my viffs. So smooth and comfortable and not to mention fuel injected. One thing that has me worried is if I hit the road on the backside of the mountain and I'm at 10,678 ft if it will lean out too much and cause some issues. I've had a couple other carb'ed bikes and noticed a difference. I'm also looking at the RC but being 6'4" the RC might be outta the question.

That said, I feel your plight. Both have some really great qualities and nuances but when all is said and done it's going to be your choice.

I'm still on the fence although Scotts 99 with the ohlins and full 1kRR front might be in my garage in a week or two.

Here's a link to the road on the back of the mountain. It's pretty much in my backyard and a nice little couple of hours to get outta dodge.

Last edited by vtecv4; 04-29-2008 at 12:20 PM.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:20 PM
Simi Valley, CA
Back Marker

lowell is on a distinguished road
I did the same switch.

Had a 98 vfr and switched to an 02 vtr.

I wanted more GO>>>>> at the loss of civility.

Damm I will miss that gear whine, it was soo sweet.

With the VTR you KNOW that you are riding an Engine with feeling.

The carb's I like vs FI....

So much easier to go faster...

So much easier to go too fast.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:01 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Sure would be nice if you could keep your VFR and buy the VTR anyhow.

The VTR weighs about 50 lbs. less than your '93 and makes a bit more peak power. The biggest difference you'd probably notice riding the VTR is how much grunt it has in the low and midrange rpm. That's what I like most about it.

The second thing you'd notice after riding a while? The VTR is less comfortable on a long ride. You can put higher bars on it, you can mod or change the seat, or you can do what I did- get used to it. Once I learned how to perch myself on it without weighting my arms and hands, I found I can ride OK all day as long as I take short breaks. But with the stock ergos, the VTR isn't as comfy on long rides as any VFR.

I'd rather have the VTR than a '93 VFR, but if you have to sell the VFR to get one, make sure you ride the VTR before you sell your bike.

Last edited by RK1; 04-29-2008 at 01:34 PM.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:26 PM
Squid

MotorToad is on a distinguished road
I'll probably get grilled for this, but here goes...

I bought my VTR because I got it for about $2,000 less than it's worth. If it weren't for that I probably wouldn't have bought one ever. When the bike came out I spent quite some time in the Honda dealership ogling it, it seems like everything I'd ever want in a bike. Cool, fast, comfortable (ish), unique, etc. However, the bike gets 30 mpg, which is just inexcusable, IMO. The 100-mile tour of gas stations gets old after a while, and can get downright scary when you're in the mountains. (I wind up getting gas at 75 or 80 miles because I'm afraid the next town might be more than 25 miles away.) I definitely like the bike and it's going to be a long time before I sell it, but I wouldn't have bought one or even shopped for one if this one hadn't fallen in my lap.

Personally, I wouldn't sell a VFR for a VTR. If you want it and can afford both, then by all means do it, it's a fun bike. If the VFR's getting tired and you really need another bike I'd rather have a SV-1000, older Sprint ST or RS, or a '98-'01 VFR.

Just my opinion... Flame suit on.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:52 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by MotorToad
I'd rather have a SV-1000
Old 04-29-2008, 03:08 PM
RK1
MotoGP

Originally Posted by MotorToad
I'll probably get grilled for this, but here goes...

I bought my VTR because I got it for about $2,000 less than it's worth. If it weren't for that I probably wouldn't have bought one ever. When the bike came out I spent quite some time in the Honda dealership ogling it, it seems like everything I'd ever want in a bike. Cool, fast, comfortable (ish), unique, etc. However, the bike gets 30 mpg, which is just inexcusable, IMO. The 100-mile tour of gas stations gets old after a while, and can get downright scary when you're in the mountains. (I wind up getting gas at 75 or 80 miles because I'm afraid the next town might be more than 25 miles away.) I definitely like the bike and it's going to be a long time before I sell it, but I wouldn't have bought one or even shopped for one if this one hadn't fallen in my lap.

Personally, I wouldn't sell a VFR for a VTR. If you want it and can afford both, then by all means do it, it's a fun bike. If the VFR's getting tired and you really need another bike I'd rather have a SV-1000, older Sprint ST or RS, or a '98-'01 VFR.

Just my opinion... Flame suit on.
Fuel light should come on when you've burned through 3.5 gallons. At 30 mpg that would be 105 miles. That's really shitty for anyplace but the race track or hard charging in the mountains. My VTR gets so much better mileage than that in "normal" riding it isn't funny.

If you're fuel light comes on at 80 miles, then either it's malfunctioning or you're getting about 23 mpg.

If you're really getting 23 mpg, I'd do one of the following;

1) Stop hauling the trailer you made out of the back half of that old F150.

2) Get your 312 pound girlfriend off the back and put her on her own bike.

3) Go through the bike, esp. intake, carbs and exhaust, and find out what's wrong with it. ;
Old 04-29-2008, 03:33 PM
Honducati
SuperSport

I just rejetted my bike over the weekend and as I posted in another thread, I was able to get 47 mpg @ a steady 70mph cruise. 47 mpg x 4.2 gal. gives me a calculated tank range of 197.4 miles.

That should be plenty.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:41 PM
RK1
MotoGP

Originally Posted by jbaxx
I just rejetted my bike over the weekend and as I posted in another thread, I was able to get 47 mpg @ a steady 70mph cruise. 47 mpg x 4.2 gal. gives me a calculated tank range of 197.4 miles.

That should be plenty.
Yep. That's about what I get, and if you read through the "mileage" threads, you realize numerous other members do about as well. But the guys cryin' in their beer about their mpg never seem to notice or ask about how our bikes are set up. Either they assume we're making **** up, or maybe they just like salty beer?
Old 04-29-2008, 07:11 PM
Rooster Wolf
Back Marker

Wow, I'm glad I came to this forum. Lots of great input...thanks!
The tough part right now is the fact that I don't have to part with the VFR, but I want another bike. Sure wish I could keep her, but such is life. And I figure that if I try the VTR and decide it's not the bike for me, I can always get another VFR and maybe get a newer model. And yes, I will be test riding the VTR prior to purchase. Either way, I'll keep you guys posted. In the meantime, I think I'll grab few beers and peruse the threads...

Originally Posted by inderocker
How did I know you'd be first to comment?

Ok, good, I've always had a thing for hot red heads!

Originally Posted by Moto Man
I've had a 1st and 2nd gen VFR and other Honda V twins as well. While you will miss the gear drivin whine of the VFR you love the bottom end punch/raw power and much simpler engine of the VTR. The VTR is closer to the 2nd gen VFR in fun factor.
The gear driven cams sound great. 2nd gen you say? Hmmm....
Old 04-29-2008, 11:15 PM
Duc Hawk
SuperSport

The gear driven cams sound great. 2nd gen you say? Hmmm....
2nd Gen yes! It was the same platform as the RC30. I had an '87 with a few mods

That bike goes down as my favorite bike to ride but my least favorite to work on.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:58 PM
geezer
SuperSport
SuperSport

oahu hawk is on a distinguished road
the VFR has no soul...it's perfect, the Honda Accord of motorcycles...

Last edited by oahu hawk; 04-30-2008 at 12:07 AM.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:12 PM
Rooster Wolf
Back Marker

Originally Posted by oahu hawk
the VFR has no soul...it's perfect, the Honda Accord of motorcycles...
Hey, I resent that!

I for one drive a 1991 Honda Accord and it...yeah it has no soul (Thankfully mine is manual. It's way fast compared to the automatics! Well, except when the air is on. Then it feels like it's always in reverse)

But if the VFR is the Accord, what is the Goldwing? The Honda Jet???
Old 04-30-2008, 07:15 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by VFR79
But if the VFR is the Accord, what is the Goldwing? The Honda Jet???
An Acura, ofcourse!
Old 04-30-2008, 07:16 PM
Honducati
SuperSport

Yeah, I think a lot of VFR riders would disagree. That V-4 has a lot of soul, just more sophisticated and refined than the VTR.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:25 PM
Rooster Wolf
Back Marker

Honda Rebel...no soul
Old 04-30-2008, 08:10 PM
geezer
SuperSport
SuperSport

oahu hawk is on a distinguished road
Yeah, I think a lot of VFR riders would disagree. That V-4 has a lot of soul, just more sophisticated and refined than the VTR.
I loved the sound of the gear cam drive, but it was just too generic...couldn't wait to get rid if after after 7 months or so, lucky the VTR came along..

As Superbling stated above:

Last edited by oahu hawk; 04-30-2008 at 10:50 PM.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:20 PM
RK1
MotoGP

Originally Posted by oahu hawk
I loved the sound of the gear cam drive, but it was just to generic...couldn't wait to get rid if after after 7 months or so, lucky the VTR came along..

As Superbling stated above:

If the girl next door can't be the hot redhead I can't stop thinking about, I'll settle for a 1000cc VFR, 500 lbs. wet, 115-120 peak horsepower with VTR style low and midrange torque.

A 1969 Triumph Bonneville had lots of soul. I'd rather have a VFR literbike.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:57 PM
MotoGP

Generally, I'd disagree as well. The 92 VFR has plenty of soul and character... my '04 V-tec.... not so much. It was so "computerized" that it took away from the bike a little. I want my motorcycle to be the least like a car as possible. (you know what I mean) The VTR is almost rebellious, in the ways that it does not conform to modern motorcycles. Carbureted - No fuel injection, V-twin - not another inline 4, half fairing, *cough cough* dated suspension.

But with the dated material comes loads of fun, in the form of... MODDING! Theres nothing quite like personalizing your bike with suspension swaps, motor tweaks, and styling changes.

Last edited by inderocker; 05-01-2008 at 12:03 AM.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:16 AM
RK1
MotoGP

Honda screwed up with the latest generation VFR, and they've stuck with it through seven model years now. Around here, they've still got '06s collecting dust on the showroom floors.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:24 PM
Duc Hawk
SuperSport

Originally Posted by RK1
Honda screwed up with the latest generation VFR, and they've stuck with it through seven model years now. Around here, they've still got '06s collecting dust on the showroom floors.
Yeah they went down hill from the 2nd gen in my book; Though I did like the single sided swingarm on the 3rd gen. But I have NT650 to satisfy that craving!

Last edited by Moto Man; 05-01-2008 at 01:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Switching from VFR to VTR