Members Rides Show off your SuperHawk!

...from VTR to VFR

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 07:56 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
...from VTR to VFR

wanting a little bit more comfort out of my next bike i opted for a vfr. i was looking to get a 1998-2001 because i figured they would be in my price range. ofcourse everybody wanted atleast $5,000 for thiers unless it had 40k miles. finally i came across a 2004 wih 11k miles for only $4500. it has some rash on the left side from a 20mph lowside but was otherwise meticulously maintained.
everything about the bike rocks... but i sure so wish it had a v-twin in it.

Last edited by inderocker; 04-26-2008 at 11:42 PM.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:12 PM
Back Marker

MisterMohawk
Congrats on the new purchase. Hope you enjoy the ride. Maybe an engine swap to keep you busy this winter...?
Old 11-28-2006, 08:14 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Hmmm, let me guess: Your name is Daniel Paul?

I recently did the same thing except that it's my second VTEC. Your damage is much lighter than mine (you can buff that out!! LOL) and might want to try a search on VFRd in the 6th gen forum about using a decal design over the damaged area that one guy came up with. It looks pretty good and might tide you over till you can get better parts.

Yeah, the V4 is the next best thing to the VTR's twin but it can't overcome the torque deficit can it? I'm fotomoto over there. Check out my mods.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:17 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
Congrats!
Old 11-28-2006, 08:19 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
You got that right. I got off a really lucky business deal recently and rewarded myself. Here's the stable now! What a blast to have both. Hopefully I can put the taxes on hold for a year and I got a salvage deal on it! It cleaned up real nice but I can't go whole hog on the stuff I'd like to buy for both of them. My VFR buddies sneer at my $60 middie and my D&D. It didn't cost me $500 and it sounds a shitload better than the stocker! Besides that I got another one in the garage! (I bought Lou's old pair from his Fighter project) Enjoy your new ride. Stop in over at VFRDiscussion.com. Superbling is a member over there too. Keep hanging here too. With the price of 'Hawks nowdays - you never know!
Old 11-28-2006, 08:21 PM
MotoGP

And o yeah! Here's the pipe and the can.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:11 AM
Squid

ATLSHawk98
Vtr & Vfr

both of them are great bikes. i did the same thing in reverse order. i originally had a 1995 VFR (red of course) then sold it and added a 1998 VTR (red of course) to the stable. i absolutely have loved both bikes. hurray for honda engineering! congrats on the new purchase. i wish i had the room and money to keep both!
Old 11-29-2006, 06:18 PM
Back Marker

3D02 is on a distinguished road
Good choice. Actually I would prefer it over the SH. I heard from a friend who owns a Viffer that '07 is the last year for the Interceptor.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:39 PM
MotoGP

i've heard the same..... it looks like all of hondas sportbike lineup will be inline four's! it's f___ing B.S.
Old 12-29-2006, 06:22 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by nuhawk
You got that right. I got off a really lucky business deal recently and rewarded myself. Here's the stable now! What a blast to have both. Hopefully I can put the taxes on hold for a year and I got a salvage deal on it! It cleaned up real nice but I can't go whole hog on the stuff I'd like to buy for both of them. My VFR buddies sneer at my $60 middie and my D&D. It didn't cost me $500 and it sounds a shitload better than the stocker! Besides that I got another one in the garage! (I bought Lou's old pair from his Fighter project) Enjoy your new ride. Stop in over at VFRDiscussion.com. Superbling is a member over there too. Keep hanging here too. With the price of 'Hawks nowdays - you never know!
whats your handle over at VFRD?
Old 12-29-2006, 01:00 PM
MotoGP

You're going to think this is REAL stupid but I am always at a loss when it comes to **** like this. My handle is Visual Flight Rules which was the only thing that was familiar to me with the initials VFR. OK, so there you have it, that's the dumbest **** that I've ever admitted to in public.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:13 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
You're going to think this is REAL stupid but I am always at a loss when it comes to **** like this. My handle is Visual Flight Rules which was the only thing that was familiar to me with the initials VFR. OK, so there you have it, that's the dumbest **** that I've every admitted to in public.
Congrats to you then...that's not so bad. For me something about standing up on the seat of a Harley with one leg up in the air behind me and crashing into the back on a pickup on Duvall St in Key West comes to mind...THAT"S some dumb **** to admit in public!
Old 12-29-2006, 01:22 PM
MotoGP

LOL, Captain! I stand corrected, that's pretty good! :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
Old 12-29-2006, 02:40 PM
Back Marker

nova_scotian_996 is on a distinguished road
You guys have crazy low motorcycle prices down there.....im looking for a 500cc starter bike that a few years old for my fiance and they are all in the 5,000 dollar range....might have to take a road trip soon...
Cheers
Old 12-29-2006, 04:40 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nova_scotian_996
You guys have crazy low motorcycle prices down there.....im looking for a 500cc starter bike that a few years old for my fiance and they are all in the 5,000 dollar range....might have to take a road trip soon...
Cheers
Sometimes the prices vary wildly from state to state even. I had a friend who used to buy a new bike every year or so and we live in South Florida and he used to take a little road trip to Georgia or Tennessee and get MUCH cheaper prices there than he could locally.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:30 PM
MotoGP

funny thing is... i got such a good deal, in a state that is known for high prices... california. you just have to know where to look. keep your eyes peeled to classified ads that do not have any listing fee's or low listing fee's, such as craigs list or the recycler. somebody that wants to off something cheap will not want to spend a bunch listing it.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:43 PM
MotoGP

I was looking at a bike for my GF and that's a real tough size to fit. The CBR600's are close but they can be a little squirrely for a new rider - especially a chick. The best "chick-bike" that I found for a beginner was a FZR400. The guy had bought it for his GF and she never rode it. It was near perfect with 6k miles but the carbs had problems from sitting too long. My GF got cold feet about the whole bike thing and I got cold feet about making the investment in a bike that may not get used. The guy wanted $2750 and was pretty solid in his price but I think it ultimately could have been bought for about $2300. The last time I talked with him before I dropped the deal he still didn't have it running well so I think offered the opportunity to get out he would have accepted. I agree, Craig's list is a very good resource and watch the cities near by if you can. I always watch Dallas, SA, Houston, Phoenix and the Bay Area.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:33 PM
Back Marker

Lifttruck is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by inderocker
wanting a little bit more comfort out of my next bike i opted for a vfr. i was looking to get a 1998-2001 because i figured they would be in my price range. ofcourse everybody wanted atleast $5,000 for thiers unless it had 40k miles. finally i came across a 2004 wih 11k miles for only $4500. it has some rash on the left side from a 20mph lowside but was otherwise meticulously maintained.
everything about the bike rocks... but i sure so wish it had a v-twin in it, perhaps fuel injected.

I kind of went the opposite route as you. I had my 5th generation VFR before both of my VTR's, but I had my Hawk GT before I added it's cousins to the stable. I also post at VFRD under the same name as here. Check out my photo gallery there, it has a couple pics of all four of my bikes.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:10 PM
MotoGP

nice bikes.... trust me, if i could afford both i would... they are definetly the 2 best bikes that any of the manufacturers make imho. like i said before though, if the vfr had a f-i v-twin then it would definetly be the best bike ever. when this motor finally goes (if it ever does) i might consider an rc51 swap.... just for fun.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:52 PM
Back Marker

nice bikes.... trust me, if i could afford both i would... they are definetly the 2 best bikes that any of the manufacturers make imho. like i said before though, if the vfr had a f-i v-twin then it would definetly be the best bike ever. when this motor finally goes (if it ever does) i might consider an rc51 swap.... just for fun.
You'll like the 80 to 100 mile added range to the tankfull of fuel with the VFR. A bit better MPG along with the added capacity. It means a great deal if your on a trip or have a long commute. The VFR is still a little heavy and underpowered though. I'm now trying to figure out how I can weasel a new GSXR 1000 into the garage. I think my wife will have the last word regarding that purchase though, and I think I have a pretty good idea what that word will be.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:50 PM
Back Marker

http://www.scpmc.net/cpg148/index.php?cat=10311 Here are some pics that show the hawk GT a little better.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:50 PM
MotoGP

Yeah, you add another motorcycle to that pack and you could probably park it on her side of the bed. She won't be using it any more
Old 01-04-2007, 11:46 AM
El Cheapo
Back Marker

cat0020 is on a distinguished road
Cool

Prior to my VTR, I logged my highway miles on this:

Nothing else sounds like a V4 engine with a nice pipe..
Old 01-04-2007, 03:31 PM
Back Marker

Wink

Yeah, you add another motorcycle to that pack and you could probably park it on her side of the bed. She won't be using it any more
I'm saving that particular spot for the Adventure Tourer or Dual Sport. The Gixxer doesn't have the ground clearance to climb the stairs!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-04-2007, 04:18 PM
MotoGP

LOL, LT! Nice looking bikes though!
Old 01-21-2007, 08:31 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by cat0020
Prior to my VTR, I logged my highway miles on this:

Nothing else sounds like a V4 engine with a nice pipe..
niiiiice yellow 5th gen. that's what i was hoping to get originally.
Old 01-22-2007, 04:19 PM
Squid

Mario Mendoza is on a distinguished road
Interesting.... I was considering this swap in the not too distant future.
VTR >>> VFR, seems like I wasn't the only one to have this idea.
Anyone care to comment on the difference in terms of performance? I'd be real keen to hear thoughts from those having made the changeover.
I understand that there is a weight advantage to the VTR... Does this make the VFR much slower on the twisty stuff? What about outright pulling power? I love this about the VTR, would hate to lose that fun factor.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:24 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Mario Mendoza
Anyone care to comment on the difference in terms of performance?
I understand that there is a weight advantage to the VTR... Does this make the VFR much slower on the twisty stuff? What about outright pulling power? I love this about the VTR, would hate to lose that fun factor.
weight-
the weight is actually almost identical. in my opinion the vtr was more flick-able and did feel lighter overall, but by no means is the vfr "much" slower in the twisties. it may just be in my head or maybe the vtr has a better center of gravity. you can definitely feel the difference in weight when you top off the tank on the vfr (but i'm really not going to complain about that!! i love the extra mileage!! )

power-
to be completely honest, i missed my tourqey v-twin at first... that motor screamed fun! whenever someone would ride my vtr they would always come back raving about the motor, it's definitely in a league of it's own, as is the vfr motor. the vtech vfr motor is a completely different animal... it's some-what docile at first then tears into fistfuls of power. it's still plenty fun to ride, but if i had a choice i'd slap a v-twin in my vfr.

overall-
although i really want another vtr, i do not want one as my only bike. the comfort, looks, gadgets, and performance all make the vfr the overall winner in my book. and even though the motor is not the same i have found cheap ways to bring very close ( k&n air filter, and a gutted stick exhaust). you can ride the vfr all day long and not have to go see a chiropractor the next day. the suspension feels a lot better (i may of accidental just set it up better), and the fuel range is awesome! i

i hope this helps somewhat!

Old 01-22-2007, 06:43 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
weight-
the weight is actually almost identical.
No the VTR is about 50lbs lighter. Published dry weights: 425 vs. 472. Difference in wet weight is an even greater due to the larger fuel tank and cooling system.

Overall, I feel faster on the VTR. I feel better, mid-corner, on the VFR (that "like I'm on rails" feeling) but into and out of corners I like the VTR better.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:53 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by superbling
No the VTR is about 50lbs lighter. Published dry weights: 425 vs. 472.
oop's, sorry i must have been misinformed!!

Quick Reply: ...from VTR to VFR