General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Superhawks, owning vs trying to sell...

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 02:21 PM
Squid

TAMPAHAWK68 is on a distinguished road
Superhawks, owning vs trying to sell...

Just curious if anyone else has run into this.. I have had my 05 sh for awhile now and just about every time I take it for a ride somebody stops me to check it out. Most people have heard of them, but never have seen one and most of the time have nothing but good things to say. I enjoy mine and love riding it, but need to sell it now.
Now that I am trying to sell it, and it is in excellent condition..it isn't so cool anymore. I have been trying to sell it for 2 months now with little to no interest. Am I missing something????
Old 02-18-2014, 03:22 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
What's your asking price?
Old 02-18-2014, 03:36 PM
Squid

Old 02-18-2014, 03:47 PM
SuperSport

thetophatflash is an unknown quantity at this point
Question answered....
Old 02-18-2014, 04:18 PM
SuperSport

jscobey is on a distinguished road
IMO the hawk is a largely overlooked and under rated bike. Mine to me is worth more as a bike than the monetary value of it's worth. It's a steal when u buy it, I paid 2500 for mine, but ull never get a whole lot for it. Even if u spend time and money modding it, which won't increase the value really.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:33 PM
Back Marker

bmidd is on a distinguished road
$3700 is right in the middle of low to high retail according to NADA. The problem is that same price is populated with 600's with superior suspension and braking components. The narrow market means you are only going to sell it to another Hawk enthusiast, the average new rider goes for the RaceReplica 600's.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:43 PM
Squid

Yeah, 600s are a dime a dozen here. especially the gsxr. There has been 3 superhawks in the area that sold recently 2 red one yellow. All 3 are 98-99 models and all three claimed they got 3000-3200 for them and they aren't in as good of shape as mine. not even close. Guess I need to paint it! lol.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:49 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
They're easy to sell but they have to be priced right. Unfortunately for us as sellers "priced right" isn't what we necessarily want to hear. I've sold two of them in the last couple years, a decent '98 for $2100 (listed at night and was gone the next morning), and a pretty perfect '99 for $2800. Sat on that one a few weeks to get my price. Doubled my money in both cases though... Depending on how bad you want to get rid of it you may just need to drop the price a little. As was said if it's priced the same as more popular/flashier/faster bikes you'll narrow your market and may have some trouble. Mine were always very clean and the pictures showed it, and there really wasn't much comparable on craigslist for the price with regards to condition or performance, so they (and many other bikes I've sold) usually sell pretty fast. If you haven't already done so taking an afternoon to detail the bike and take many NICE pictures (not like the guy selling a new Ferrari who takes flip-phone pics during a rainstorm-yes I've seen it) and writing up a nice, honest description works wonders.

Last edited by captainchaos; 02-18-2014 at 04:51 PM.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:17 PM
Squid

Like jscobey, the mike is worth more to me as a bike rather than what its worth in dollars. Just find it hard to believe that a 05 SH with low miles in very good cosmetic condition and in excellent mechanical condition, that runs smooth as silk thru the entire rmp range is worth at least 3500? I didnt pay anything close to that for it, but it needed quite a bit of tlc to get her back into shape. Got lucky, just invested mainly several hours of my time, very little money.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:13 PM
Back Marker

bmidd is on a distinguished road
The main problem is there is essentially no difference in my 99 that I traded for a dirt bike and your 05.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:14 PM
Back Marker

Appletonhawk is on a distinguished road
I paid $2900 just last summer for my 2000 in near mint shape, but it did need some TLC and some upgrades which I am still in the process of doing, but like others have said you need to find someone actually looking specifically for a Hawk as I was to get what you want out of it. Lets face it most of the newer 600's will spank the hawk perfomance wise, but in my opinion are focused on the 18-22 year old market. Need to find a older guy like me that wants a V-twin sport bike which are far and few between. I tried selling mine as well after only 1 season on it as some other things came up and I needed the cash, but after 4 months of trying I gave up because it was worth more to me than I could get for it. Sucks, but the nature of having an older obsolete machine.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:23 PM
SuperSport

jscobey is on a distinguished road
That's why I wouldn't sell it. I've had a few people offer me money even though I'm not looking to sell it. But it's just a much better bike than what someone would actually pay you for it. People don't see it as "sexy" and they think it's "old" but all that means is I got a good deal on a great bike when I bought it. I've heard the term sleeper and idk if that's what I'm going for with my hawk or not but nothing beats watching guys on much newer bikes with TC and rider modes and ABS and variable engine braking and 200 ponies get smoked by me in the twisties.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:50 PM
Superstock

insulinboy is on a distinguished road
I've toyed with the Idea of selling mine and Getting a Yamaha Bolt to replace it since I have my Race bike "street legal" now on paper to take to the mountains when I want to play, but I know I'd miss the fun factor of getting the front end to jump up on command that my 90 horse 600 with half the torque that weighs the same just wont do. I've come to realize to truly "replace" the VTR properly I would have to buy two different bikes, because there is no 1 bike built anymore that would truly do everything the VTR does for me, and honestly for what they are worth (granted I got a good deal on mine and minus the headwork I had to do after playing with cct issues I should be able to get my money back out of it) I wouldn't sell mine anyway unless I did get the two bikes to replace it (A yamaha bolt and a KTM RC8, or an RC51.. is it sad that I do have its replacement bikes picked out?)

Edit:

That being said, your not in the sellers market right now as far as bikes are concerned. Give it another month or so and you should have an easier time getting nibbles on it.

Last edited by insulinboy; 02-18-2014 at 06:53 PM.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:50 PM
Back Marker

msethhunter is on a distinguished road
Short answer, you have a connection with it, and are asking to much. NADA is useless, and in most cases, unrealistic.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:31 PM
Back Marker

Super Hawk Pro is on a distinguished road
People are waiting for their income tax for one and two it's not spring time yet. Once it warms up people get the riding fever.glws
Old 02-19-2014, 06:19 AM
Squid

I live in Florida. You can ride 365 here. The problem here i-s...there are too many bikes for sale right now. The biggest problem is the bike is carburetorated and most bike owners are diy people. Most of which screw up their carbs and never get them right. Reading carb postings on here will verify that statement. When i bought mine, it ran like crap. He had all the carb jets, emulsion tubes in the wrong carbs. And you guys know how ill these bikes run at low rpms when the carbs arent right. He thought it had mechanical issues with the motor. Bought it for1000.00 and another 200 in parts( mostly fluids and maintenance items. I guess ill just keep it.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:10 AM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Jack Flash is on a distinguished road
Move north of the border in my neck of the woods, believe it or not, you'll probably get well over 5k for it.