General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Superhawk VS. Hayabusa

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 11:32 PM
Squid

ndgns1 is on a distinguished road
Superhawk VS. Hayabusa

Hi all..

Ive been looking over the forum for the past few days trying to gather info on the Superhawk...

So far I am finding a lot of things that are looking very interesting about this bike...

Im 41 with bad knees, degenerative disk in my lower back, and obviously week wrists..hahaha

Im currently riding an 05 Triumph Rocket 3... and love my beastly cruiser...

but Im now looking into finding a nice sports bike as a weekend canyon cruiser...

I had an opportunity to ride an 07 600 Ninja for about 1/2 hour.. that thing killed my back, knees, and wrist...

but It was fun.. so I started looking into other bikes..

I came across a local shop and sat on an 01 Hayabusa.. it felt pretty comfy so I asked if I can set up for a test ride..

Maaan that thing was faaaaast and fun.. did some highway riding, in-town, and twisties.. all in all about 1.5 hour ride.. and I was still able to walk after I got off of it...

when I got back I thought I was sold... but then he suggested I give the 01 Super Hawk a shot...

initially I wasn't interested.. and thought the hayabusa was a much nicer LOOKING bike..sorry..hahaha

but what the heck..

Well.. right off the bat... I thought the SH felt like it handled much better and I felt much more confidant in pressing through turns and the posture was even a little better.. in other words, I was pleasantly surprised... especially since it is going to be 2-3k cheaper than the busa...

anyways.. I pretty sure Im leaning more toward the SH now.. it is an 01 with 14k miles on it... I know the gauges have been replaced.... and Im pretty sure it may have been down.. but seems only cosmetic damage.. that had already been repaired and painted.

they are gonna give it to me for 4k out the door...

any other opinions on a Busa VS Superhawk?

also are there any other final things I should be aware of before I purchase the bike?

on my test ride it seemed to handle fine @ 100mph + on the highway..

about the only thing I didn't like.. was the gears didn't kick in til the clutch was almost all the way released? Oh yea.. and the mirrors are about freak'n useless...ugghhh...

thanks for those who read through the whole thing..hahaha

and good info on this forum guys...

Last edited by ndgns1; 11-19-2007 at 11:39 PM.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:22 AM
SuperSport

Death Cattle is on a distinguished road
superhawks are definitely comfortable, but obviously not as powerful as a hayabusa. that partly depends on whether or not you want that kind of power. there is always the option of performance upgrades also. if your looking for maximum comfort then i would get the superhawk and then spend your saved money on getting some dirt bike handlebards set up on it. they are wider and taller. its easy to raise them up even higher also. this obviously allows you to sit up straighter and more comfortably. also, it takes more weight off of your wrists. i hope this helped you out.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:24 AM
SuperSport

also, a superhawk is an awesome v-twin bike with tons of torque literally and any rpm. it makes for a great ride.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:55 AM
Squid

I loved the sound of the SH.. it has microns installed.. nice rumble.. very nice solid feel in the ride all together.

@2300 cc.. the rocket pretty much satisfies my striaght line torque and power needs..hahahaha.. but the SH wasn't too bad either...

between the Sh and the Busa Im mainly just looking for something I can do some canyon riding for more than 2 hours

the SH felt pretty good and Im thinking with a little more riding time on it, I think I can do maybe 3-4 hour rides on it without modifications?

distance and mirrors are really the only things that have me second guessing this bike?

I know the mirrors could be an easy enough fix.. im currently researching options right now, but cant seem to find good pics
Old 11-20-2007, 01:35 AM
SuperSport

definitely, you can get mirror extensions.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:21 AM
SuperSport

AZZKIKER is an unknown quantity at this point
For canyon riding, I would def go with the SH. I think you would be more satisfied with it.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:37 AM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
If you are looking for a canyon rider, and these are your only two choices, go with the hawk. For a bike to ride in the twisties neither one would be my first choice. However with some suspension and brake work the hawk came handle fairly well and still be comfortable after several hours.

If comfort is more important than performance than start by getting a good aftermarket seat and some clips on's if you need the bars higher for your wrists.

If performance is more important start with SS brake lines and RaceTech fork springs for your weight and riding style in the front.

Either way, buy what you think you are really going to enjoy, screw what other people say.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:35 AM
Superstock

pigwings
ride

Save your wrecked back and buy the 'Busa.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:19 AM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
My opinion is that the riding position on the 'Busa is more leaned over than the Hawk. The Busa is much heavier and much faster in a straight line. The Hawk will run and hide from the Busa on a nice twisty piece of road.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:35 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
u alredy have the rocket for thrust and comfort - go for the sh
Old 11-20-2007, 10:06 AM
Back Marker

fundgh is on a distinguished road
Mirror extenders

I have some mirror extenders that I can sell you. It is essentially a 1 inch thick block of plastic with inserts, and mounts between the mirror and the fairing.
Attached Thumbnails Superhawk VS. Hayabusa-mirror-extenders.jpg  
Old 11-20-2007, 10:09 AM
Squid

California69gs is on a distinguished road
For twisties and torque....I'd go with the SH

But be aware that the aftermarket only belongs to the Busa.......from seats, springs.....anything to make it more comfortable.....the Busa

But I love how mine sounds......that was my selling point.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:12 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by drew_c14
If you are looking for a canyon rider, and these are your only two choices, go with the hawk. For a bike to ride in the twisties neither one would be my first choice. However with some suspension and brake work the hawk came handle fairly well and still be comfortable after several hours.
These are my main choices.. mainly due to the more stretched out posture..

Either way, buy what you think you are really going to enjoy, screw what other people say.
I actually enjoyed both.. but for different reasons... the SH, actually seems more what I want though.. something that can handle the twisties better than my R3...

My opinion is that the riding position on the 'Busa is more leaned over than the Hawk. The Busa is much heavier and much faster in a straight line. The Hawk will run and hide from the Busa on a nice twisty piece of road.
Yea, that was pretty much my conclusion after riding both as well...

Well, I was suppose to do another test ride today for a guy that is selling an 01 with 7k miles on it for 2,000 bucks??? sounds like a deal? maybe too good... we will see
Old 11-20-2007, 10:49 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
helis for either help a great deal for longer distance comfort. I love the h'busa, but only because I have a SH - having an agile sport bike and some powerful sportstourer/cruiser etc is a great combination - that is why if you have the triumph the SH would be a nice change of pace. but if I had to have just one it would be the SH.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:22 PM
RIP Zy! You will always be in our hearts.
SuperSport

Blue Ridge Boy is on a distinguished road
One of my buddies has a Busa. I live in Asheville, NC....in other words...curves, curves, and more curves! I've been able to ride his Busa many times and love it! But when it comes to corners, I whoop his *** every time. In the straights, I'm ahead about a bike and a half ahead until he hits 3rd.....then he's gone.

Both bikes are very comfortable...I personally think the Busa is more comfortable. I'm more of a cornering man though...so the Busa is just my style.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:23 PM
WERA #44
Superstock

happytrack44 is on a distinguished road
Modern Hondas are hard to beat for all around comfort and adaptability.
My Hawk is so much more comfortable than My old GSXR and I can ride 2-14 hours on it without the usual pain and suffering the GSXR gives.
They both handle very well. My friend's F3 is nearly identical to the hawk in ride but the difference is power delivery. The F3 is very fast and smooth all thru the power range. The hawk has a butt load more torque and that aspect requires a more sofisticated throttle control. The reward is great joy in the corners.
I find the stock brakes a little scarry on the hawk and the F3.They are under engeneered for the possible speed of the bike. I am modding to GSXR1000 6 pots to fix that.
Just my opinion, Hyabusa is too big and powerfull to enjoy in the twisties. It will go very fast and beat most of your friends in a straight line.
They all have enough power to go faster than most people can ride.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:22 PM
Test
Squid

vasaq is on a distinguished road
Hi I am interestedin the mirror extenders....how much are u asking?
i dont check this forum often...can u please copy ur email to vasaq@yahoo.com
cheers
hari

Originally Posted by fundgh
I have some mirror extenders that I can sell you. It is essentially a 1 inch thick block of plastic with inserts, and mounts between the mirror and the fairing.