General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

What do you think of my Hayabusa/Superhawk build?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 06:05 PM
SuperSport

98VTRrider is on a distinguished road
What do you think of my Hayabusa/Superhawk build?

I got a good deal on two wrecked Hayabusa's. I'm rebuilding one but didn't have a front faring stay that was straight or a headlight that could be mounted easily. So I looked around my shop and mounted whatever I had lying around

Here's what I ended up with. I'm going to paint or plastidip everything to match once it's all mocked up. I cup up the Hayabusa fairing stay so it would still hold the gauge cluster. Then I bolted a VTR stay to the busa stay, so I could mount the VTR headlight and fairing that I cut the sides off of.
Name:  photo_zpsc23b3092.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  220.1 KB
Old 06-20-2014, 06:25 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Love me some el cheapo projects! Recognized that fairing in the bottom right corner Here's the latest $hitbox I dragged home. Poor thing, looks like it got parked in a cave for about 30 years but it runs like a CHAMP and the kid practically gave it to me. Somewhere under there there's a cool old sportbike begging to get out. I love 90's sportbikes.
Attached Thumbnails What do you think of my Hayabusa/Superhawk build?-1.jpg   What do you think of my Hayabusa/Superhawk build?-2.jpg  

Last edited by captainchaos; 06-20-2014 at 06:48 PM.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:48 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

And VERY cool FZR build. I'm gonna try to keep this one as cheap as possible and resell it. Even still I'm already fighting the urge to start upgrading things haha.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:07 PM
SuperSport

Thanks! I love my FZR. It's been an awesome project I learned a lot building. My goal now is to get it down under 300lbs.

I also tried this FZR600 front end, but thought it looked too dated and would be harder to sell. I had looked across the garage at a $325 FZR I bought and said, "yea I could put that on there". Spent all day on it and changed my mind.

Name:  photo_zpsb5af4df0.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  229.9 KB
Old 06-20-2014, 08:15 PM
SuperSport

And I know what you mean about that urge. I got these two wrecked busas for $1500, and knew my plan was to build one to sell whole and part out the worse one. Now that it's running and coming together I'm tempted to tag it for a while and see how I like riding it. I'm fighting that urge and telling myself I will just ride it one time so I could say I did and then make my money off it.

It has full Yosh exhaust, BMC filter, factory pro velocity stacks, tuned power commander. A lot of bike for sure
Old 06-20-2014, 08:48 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

Haha the ultimate FZR! The Busa is a beast, I have an '02. The price was right and it was like brand new with a bunch of mods, my favorites being the BST wheels (I had never even seen a pair in person before). His wife was NOT happy when I was paying him ("You're selling it for HOW much?!" ). It's honestly a little much around town, both powerwise and sizewise, but it sure is nice out on the open road. Just something about never having to twist the throttle very far and just knowing how much is left. Impulse buy (I'm stubbornly holding onto) from a couple years ago when I had a few extra bucks laying around. Missed my ZX12, but when the garage got cleared out the Superhawk is what remained
Old 06-20-2014, 10:01 PM
SuperSport

jerryh is on a distinguished road
Gotta love it! Fun projects and always interesting to see how people resolve issues along the way. And quirky can be cool!
Old 06-20-2014, 10:39 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Shane, do you have a shot from the side? Awesome idea man. It looks great and it really fits the bike!
Old 06-21-2014, 05:04 AM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by captainchaos
Haha the ultimate FZR!!!.....it's honestly a little much around town, both powerwise and sizewise....
Yea my friend liked the FZR front because it would be a total sleeper. Yea I'm sure it will be too much for around here, not many long straight roads. Although I hear it makes a really nice comfy highway bike, maybe with some different bars.

CruxGNZ- here's a side shot. I think I'm going to paint the ram air pipes whatever color I do the rest in and see how it looks.

Name:  image_zpsecaf7745.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  202.9 KB
Old 07-21-2014, 06:47 AM
SuperSport

I finished up the SuperHawkabusa this week. Did Black Cherry plastidip, I'm not impressed.. I could have done a much better finish with rattle cans. Although it seems I didn't get the finish it should have with the dip, maybe some more practice is needed to get it to coat properly.

The only thing I'm not happy with is the mirrors, I couldn't find any VTR mirrors around, so I stuck on what I could find in the shop.

Name:  photo2_zpsec302485.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  191.1 KB

Name:  photo3_zps1c3b2db1.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  192.1 KB

Name:  photo4_zps3aafb4be.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  187.2 KB

Name:  photo5_zps2a7098f7.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  195.5 KB
Old 07-21-2014, 06:53 AM
SuperSport

On a side note...I took it for a test ride yesterday up and down the highway.....all I can keep saying is this thing is nuts.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:54 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

Looks cool! Yeah I always said when I'd swap from my ZX12 to my Superhawk it made the Superhawk feel like a Sportster... My current Hayabusa (an '02) isn't quite stock either and it's a beast. A little large sometimes but sure is fun to only have to breathe on the throttle 99% of the time knowing there's always so much left.

I know you mentioned selling are you planning on keeping it? Do you think it'd be worth it to spend a few extra bucks to put the stock fairings on it to make it easier to sell (and get more for it)?

Last edited by captainchaos; 07-21-2014 at 10:03 AM.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:17 AM
Stiff Member
Back Marker

turbotim is on a distinguished road
Nice work man. Way to keep people guessing. Take that thing to the track and everyone will be scratching their heads for sure. Tim
Old 07-21-2014, 04:19 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by captainchaos
I know you mentioned selling are you planning on keeping it? Do you think it'd be worth it to spend a few extra bucks to put the stock fairings on it to make it easier to sell (and get more for it)?

Definitely selling. I thought about it, but, I would have needed a full set of matching fairings, in blue to match the tank, or a tank also. I saw a good complete set for around $1000...the fairing stay was bent also, $70 for an aftermarket replacement.

That may be a worthwhile investment, EXCEPT, in the accident two of the subframe mounting tabs were broken off the frame, and rewelded on...so fresh plastic isn't going to change that.

The way things are I haven't spent money on anything except some hardware and connectors...$70 on the plasti dip paint job

All that said, what do you think I might get for it as is? It has only 5,350 miles. I have it in craigslist local for $4900/bo..about $1200-$1500 less than any other busa on there.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:39 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

How about some ebay China fairings? Yes I've heard good and bad, the bad being horror stories regarding fitment. You can get a new matching set (minus the tank) for around $500 and up shipped. Heck of a lot easier than piecing together a piece here and a piece there, doing bodywork, and then getting them painted (though you know factory stuff fits perfect).

I don't know how prices are by you. Cheapest Busa by me is an '02 Midnight Falcon (mmmmmm) like mine w/ 42k miles, claimed never dropped & needing a little tlc, for $3500 obo (thankfully I don't have the money). And on up from there...with a few in the 4-5k range. I guess see how it goes as is and if you don't get any offers that make you happy see if there's an ebay set of fairings that match the tank ok and go from there.

Last edited by captainchaos; 07-21-2014 at 06:45 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:45 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

Here are a couple older pics of mine prior to more black, like vortex rearsets, sargent seat, adj levers, etc...
Attached Thumbnails What do you think of my Hayabusa/Superhawk build?-6.jpg   What do you think of my Hayabusa/Superhawk build?-7.jpg  

Last edited by captainchaos; 07-21-2014 at 06:48 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:04 PM
SuperSport

Yours looks good in black. Locally the cheapest besides mine is $5800 for a nice looking silver one with 17,000 miles. $1000 more than I'm asking.

My goal was to flip this as quick and cheap as possible. I just didn't have money to invest or time to do paint. I'd rather take $4000 than have spent $1000 on fairings to get $5000, considering the frame damage...

After riding it once I think the riding position is just not comfortable unless you're on the gas. If I were to keep it I'd need riser bars at the least, but still then the reach from the seat to handlebars is far, and I'm 6'1'' with long arms.