General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

speedo info.

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 01:57 AM
Ray
Squid

Bergray is on a distinguished road
speedo info.

I am looking for a speedometer of a VTR SP1 up to 2003 build for mi superhawk.I'm told that there is a sort of adapter plug that fits directly on and VTR superhawk plug and this one go's directly on the SP1 speedo .
who knows where I can find this adapterplug?( and a second hand Speedo SP1?(Km/h)

many thanks to all .
Ray
Old 06-11-2012, 09:10 AM
GTS
Seasoned tech
SuperSport

GTS is on a distinguished road
I think someone just did this swap and had to wire it all up himself. I don't think there is any kind of adaptor plug unless you make it. Also last I recall he was having a hard time getting the tach to work. Not sure if he finally got it working or not.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:37 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by GTS
I think someone just did this swap and had to wire it all up himself. I don't think there is any kind of adaptor plug unless you make it. Also last I recall he was having a hard time getting the tach to work. Not sure if he finally got it working or not.
No, definetly no adapters you can purchase...

What however is a possibility, on the SP as well as most CBR's the plug to the cluster is on a separate subharness... Purchase that, and everything becomes a lot easier, as you then just swap the plug over on the stock harness... The wiring has been discussed several times, with lots of info posted on how to wire it up... Needs soldering skills tough...
Old 06-11-2012, 11:58 AM
GTS
Seasoned tech
SuperSport

Originally Posted by Tweety
Needs soldering skills tough...
So true! Crimp connectors just don't cut it for reliable solid connections.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:39 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by GTS
So true! Crimp connectors just don't cut it for reliable solid connections.
There are ways to crimp that are highly reliable... But it takes tools that most people find expensive for single or unfrequent use... A soldering iron is cheap...
Old 06-11-2012, 12:52 PM
GTS
Seasoned tech
SuperSport

Originally Posted by Tweety
There are ways to crimp that are highly reliable... But it takes tools that most people find expensive for single or unfrequent use... A soldering iron is cheap...
True. If you have the right tools to do the factory style crimps like what you see on the pins in the connectors those are good crimps. But yeah the tools are much more expensive than the cheap pair of crimpers. For all intents and purposes on here I was referring to the red/blue/yello but connectors that are all over the place and are cheap. If you crimp them good they'll hold well but they are also prone to cause carosion as they are not sealed and they seem to like to break the wires in some cases leading to a failure down the road.