General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Ouch, my ass hurts....

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 02:33 PM
Squid

raceruss2003 is on a distinguished road
Ouch, my *** hurts....

I recently found out that my hawk really isn't that comfortable for long distance... Most of my riding is done to and from work which is about 33 miles. I recently took the bike to the shore for the weekend which is about 60 miles and I couldn't wait to get off the thing. My hands kept falling asleep, my legs were hurting, my *** killing me, etc...

Is a corbin seat worth the money or should I look in a different direction?

Also, bikes with seatcowls...is that a solo seat or is it a cowl with a two person seat below?

If you guys can steer me in a good direction I would be grateful.

In comparison, I used to be able to do 300 mile days on my '05 ZX-10 before I started to get sore. I stand about 6'2 if that helps.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:20 PM
Superstock

blamecanada is on a distinguished road
The stock seat is terrible, I don't regret paying 300 for my sargent....I'm sure the corbin is leagues ahead of the stock seat as well.

I've put in 500 mile days on the hawk with the aftermarket seat...and also FYI it is still a two person seat, the cowl just covers the passenger area.

-N

Last edited by blamecanada; 06-05-2012 at 03:44 PM.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:23 PM
Slacker
Superstock
Superstock

BeerHunter is an unknown quantity at this point
The Sargent helped me out also, +1! I went from unbearably sore after 20 miles with the stock seat, to mildly uncomfortable after 40 miles. I stand 6'5".

Next for me, to improve the comfort, will be a rear shock upgrade. It feels like the shock is so stiff that the road bumps just go right into my tailbone.

A throttle lock may help with your arms.

The Corbin is said to be comfy too, no experience with that, but it is also said to be HEAVY. That is the main reason why I chose the Sargent.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:24 PM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
Take ibuprofen before the pain starts. Try raising your wrists and use back muscles to reduce the amount of pressure you're putting on the grips. Some people use Buell footpegs which are lower than stock, aftermarket bars which are higher than stock and add padding to the stock seat to decrease the amount their knees bend and reduce the amount of forward lean.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:54 PM
Connie Demico does toad?
Superstock

GlockPointer is on a distinguished road
Sargent seat is good for hundreds of miles a day. Helibars with foam grips felt like a luxury compared to stock.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:56 PM
Superstock

speedkelly@aol.com is on a distinguished road
One word. Sargent seat. In my opinion, and I have owned both, the sargent seat is better than the corbin for this model bike. I like corbin seats, just for some reason the sargent works better on the Superhawk.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:46 PM
aja
SuperSport

aja is on a distinguished road
You bunch of sissies. I'm 6'1", stock seat, bars, and pegs, and I can do 200+ miles and only be mildly sore, mainly in my knees from keeping them bent and switching side to side for corners. I'm relatively young so maybe that helps, but the stock seat isn't as bad as its made out to be, at least one in good condition. I have not tried an aftermarket seat yet, so my opinion may change when I do.

Strengthening your core muscles will help with your wrists. There are solo seats and tails out there, but the stock set up is a cowl over the passenger seat.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:59 PM
Squid

George H Hill is on a distinguished road
I'm 42 and a trip of 200 miles kicks my ****... through my knees. But I didn't get this machine for Long Range riding. Not with it's Thimble Fuel Tank.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:15 PM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
Guy's, what's with the complains? This is not a Goldwing, you knew that when you got it, didn't ya?
Old 06-06-2012, 12:40 AM
SportTouring
Superstock

Onomea is on a distinguished road
Rode the stock seat and clip-ons for years. First up was a Throttle lock and Pro Grips 719 Gels. Lots better on longer rides. Next up, helibars( getting older). Does not look like much but feels lot better. Next the Sargent seat, (still have the stock one with cowl).
I use a LP tank bra and always rode right up on the tank. Used the bra as additional grip on the tank. Moving around on the stock seat helps a lot(curves-sweepers, ect.). Now that I am doing more sport-touring duties on the S/H( and getting older), the sargent really is a treat. I am 5'10-180lbs. Using your core muscles is Primary. Longer rides for me in Hawaii are about 110-250mi, just stopping for fuel.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:55 AM
Squid

raceruss2003 is on a distinguished road
I think after this thread that the Sargent is the way to go. I will give it a whirl to see where I get with it.

Thanks for all the advice!
Old 06-06-2012, 11:58 AM
GTS
Seasoned tech
SuperSport

GTS is on a distinguished road
Only problem with it is that your *** might not hurt so bad but your pocketbook is going to be pretty sore for awhile at $430 for the seat!!!!
Old 06-06-2012, 01:50 PM
99 superhawk
Superstock

wsharpman is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by GTS
Only problem with it is that your *** might not hurt so bad but your pocketbook is going to be pretty sore for awhile at $430 for the seat!!!!
did a search on these last night and you can get them new for $365. just have to look (oh and same company but it advertises on different sites and different prices.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:01 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
I LOVE my Sargent!
Old 06-06-2012, 03:03 PM
Superstock

archaicguy is on a distinguished road
I'm 42, 6'2" 200 lbs and pull routine 600 mile round trips with a couple hour break half way between on stock seat and bars and never complain about any pain. Now if I ever got to ride on an aftermarket seat I may think I was in total pain on the stocker but at that cost I will be with the stock seat forever.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:31 PM
aja
SuperSport

aja is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Onomea
Rode the stock seat and clip-ons for years. First up was a Throttle lock and Pro Grips 719 Gels. Lots better on longer rides. Next up, helibars( getting older). Does not look like much but feels lot better. Next the Sargent seat, (still have the stock one with cowl).
I use a LP tank bra and always rode right up on the tank. Used the bra as additional grip on the tank. Moving around on the stock seat helps a lot(curves-sweepers, ect.). Now that I am doing more sport-touring duties on the S/H( and getting older), the sargent really is a treat. I am 5'10-180lbs. Using your core muscles is Primary. Longer rides for me in Hawaii are about 110-250mi, just stopping for fuel.
How many times do you circle the island to get to 250mi?
Old 06-06-2012, 03:40 PM
Superstock

blamecanada is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Onomea
Rode the stock seat and clip-ons for years. First up was a Throttle lock.
do you have a link to the lock you bought? I plan to ride the hawk 2400 miles and I have been looking for one...
Old 06-07-2012, 03:31 AM
SportTouring
Superstock

Originally Posted by aja
How many times do you circle the island to get to 250mi?
250 miles would just about take me right around the island once. This is going on the main highway(mostly 2 lanes). I am getting est. 42 miles/gal
at 55-65mph 5/6th gear. Usually fill up once at the 110 mile(odometer)
just to be comfortable. Running stock/+2 gearing. If you are ever in town
P.M. me, I live on the Big Island of Hawaii.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:48 AM
SuperSport

Crashrat is on a distinguished road
I had a Buell M2 before the Hawk. That seat was a hemorrhoid wrapped in a wedgie and the OEM VTR seat is joy in comparison.

But I still swapped it out for a stock re-covered Sargent. This is NOT the replacement seat, but it does have their supercell foam, etc… I also had them lower the seat a quarter inch.

It’s a good option if you don’t have deep pockets because it’s still much better than stock and only $200. The downside is you either need to pick up an OEM seat to send them – around $20-40 on Ebay -- or take your bike off the road for about three weeks while they work on it. They’re great guys to work with…
Old 06-07-2012, 07:06 AM
Slacker
Superstock
Superstock

Originally Posted by blamecanada
do you have a link to the lock you bought? I plan to ride the hawk 2400 miles and I have been looking for one...
I bought the Vista Cruise first for the SuperHawk, since one of my previous bikes had one installed and I thought I liked it. Once fitted to the SH the Vista would make contact with the gas tank at full tilt while mounted on my stock clip-on. The Vista will also discolor over time.

Vista Cruise

Then I remembered riding my Dad's old Goldwing, which had a NEP throttle lock on it. It worked so very well and left a lasting impression. So I bought an NEP and installed it on the SH. I did not care much for the looks of the unit, but as far as function goes I am absolutely happy with this unit. It fits around the throttle tube better and gives far more precise engagement over the Vista and will not interfere with motorcycle operation in any way. It also has fewer parts to install and never slips due to vibration. Set the tension and forget about it. With the Vista I would need to adjust it relatively often.

NEP Cruise Control

So that is my experience with both of these low priced throttle locks. I prefer the NEP. Whichever you decide on, be sure to buy one that fits Hondas with dual throttle cables since they make locks for various motorcycle configurations.

There are other more expensive devices on the market, and I have no experience with any of them.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:23 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by wsharpman
did a search on these last night and you can get them new for $365. just have to look (oh and same company but it advertises on different sites and different prices.
Got a link?
Old 06-07-2012, 10:09 AM
GTS
Seasoned tech
SuperSport

GTS is on a distinguished road
Those throttle locks are kind of cheap and cheesey. But they are cheap! LOL! Throttlemeisters are really nice and they look good too and best of all they work great! I've installed a handfull of them. Only downside is they are EXPENSIVE! Worth if if you do a lot of long distance riding.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:25 AM
99 superhawk
Superstock

Originally Posted by E.Marquez
Got a link?
Sargent World Sport Performance VTR1000 Seat - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

another site
http://www.shopmotorcycleonlinestore...roductId=78772

Sargent World Sport Performance Seat for VTR1000 97-05 - Seats & Seat Covers - Street Accessories - SoloMotoParts.com - Motorcycle Parts, Accessories and Gear

best price found so far
vtr1000
Old 06-10-2012, 06:20 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Thanks

I know who makes the seat and that it can be ordered from the manufacture,, I was hoping for the link to a site you can actually get one from for $365.

the last link you posted Sargent Bike Seat for Honda VTR1000 97-05.
Has red flags all over..
This product was added to our catalog on Friday 21 July, 2006.
User Rating:

(0 votes)
There are currently no product reviews.
CONTACT UP link
Contact Us
is a blind email form wizard, no real email address, no phone number and no physical address.
But I'll look at the others.. THANK YOU..
Old 06-10-2012, 06:31 AM
99 superhawk
Superstock

sorry bout that those were search,s I had done in the past (guess that last one was too old and discontinued? sigh! as I was looking to get one myself (when money becomes available to do so) but there are other more important things to do to the bike first lol.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:59 AM
Back Marker
Back Marker

Hopey is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Just got my ebay Sargent last week,one word .WOW!
Old 06-11-2012, 01:51 AM
SportTouring
Superstock

My Sargent has really helped make the longer rides(probably shamefully short on the mainland) an absolute joy. Wish I had gotten it earlier. Although my stock seat was fine early on, I don't know, maybe age makes the seat harder? . The slant to the tank also seemed more defined.

(Sorry for the thread jack also).(to be moved)
Good memories .

Last edited by Onomea; 06-11-2012 at 06:14 PM.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:08 AM
Back Marker

HawkRider98 is on a distinguished road
I had a Corbin for a couple years and it was a way better than stock. Swapped it for a Sargent which is so comfortable. I installed GenMar bar risers right after I bought the Hawk which raised the bars just enough(also allows more rotation of clipons). Bought some Buell pegs and got them installed which lowered 'em about 1 1/2" and little back. then I sent in a rear shock to JDM which, if I had done before the new seat purchases, I probably would have waited on the new seats. Made that much of a difference. I also use a NEP throttle lock. Looks a little goofy but works great. I like to ride up close to the tank and the current riding position feels perfect. Need to get the forks set up and I will be done with tuning position and suspension.

Last edited by HawkRider98; 06-11-2012 at 07:11 AM.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:33 AM
Squid

wshski is on a distinguished road
I had my seat redone at Mean City Cycles. I had the double foam option done and can ride all day 500 to 600 miles. www/meancitycycles.com
also I use this throttle lock. cheap and works great http://www.2wheelride.com/throttle_pro.html
Old 06-11-2012, 02:54 PM
Slacker
Superstock
Superstock

Originally Posted by wshski
also I use this throttle lock. cheap and works great http://www.2wheelride.com/throttle_pro.html

I don't believe that I would use that device, even if it was free. It looks like the grip might get chewed up after lots of usage. The larger issue though, is functionality. Making micro adjustments to the throttle would be annoying at the very least.

Quick Reply: Ouch, my ass hurts....