General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Sort of new to VTR's.... and new to the forum...

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 09:06 PM
Squid

IronSpadeCycles is on a distinguished road
Sort of new to VTR's.... and new to the forum...

Hey guys, Travis here in Houston. A few years ago I built a VTR for a customer, well actually I started to rebuild a VTR after a major front end collision. The forks were bent, front wheel destroyed and frame cracked at a couple welds. Also the fairing was in 14 pieces and left in the trash. We tried to build her back into a cafe racer, and I started a build thread on the streetfighter forum only to get busy with other projects and I forgot to keep up with the build thread. The project got shelved due to lack of funds by the owner but things are looking up and I plan to finish it by the end of the year. A lot of work was needed to put all the pieces back together. When finished it will have the appearance more like a 70's GP racer than a 90's superhawk. I'm making an alloy full fairing and solo seat similar to an older Yamaha TZ 750. Sorry no pictures as of yet but I will post some sooner than later.

So a couple weeks ago I stumbled onto a smoking deal for myself while searching Craigslist for a few random VTR parts. A guy that I actually knew already was liquidating his collection of Superhawk parts as well as a complete streetfighter VTR that only needs a new valve job. After some horse trading an agreement was struck. I build custom frames all day long and to help him fit into his HD Sportster 1200 a bit better, we're going to gooseneck his frame 6"x4", a straight trade for all the VTR parts and the project bike.

With this almost finished bike is a bunch of spares including 2 complete engines and a slew of random parts. One item I noticed is an RC51 dash cluster. I wonder if this is a straight plug and play replacement for the larger analog gauges on the VTR? I'm sure if he had it, he was going to try to make it work at some point. I'm sure I'll be asking you guys a lot of other questions along the way. I'm planning on finishing the customer's bike and maybe making mine in a similar fashion. We'll see.

Thanks for all the help in advance. Talk soon, Travis.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:07 AM
Superstock

FTL900 is on a distinguished road
Welcome... and post pictures! We like pictures.