General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

something fishy about my fairing...

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 11:38 PM
Squid

outrigger is on a distinguished road
something fishy about my fairing...

is there a difference in the top triple clamp or fairing screen brace angle that would account for 2002 clip ons clashing with the fairing on my 1998? I thought it would be a straight swap but I'm thinking I'll now have to mod the steering stops. I can't find anyone else on the forum who's had the same problem, seems to work out for others. Is my fairing badly bent from an unknown crash??

cheers for the help!
Old 04-01-2013, 12:23 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by outrigger
is there a difference in the top triple clamp or fairing screen brace angle that would account for 2002 clip ons clashing with the fairing on my 1998? I thought it would be a straight swap but I'm thinking I'll now have to mod the steering stops. I can't find anyone else on the forum who's had the same problem, seems to work out for others. Is my fairing badly bent from an unknown crash??

cheers for the help!
The 2000-> clip-ons are at a different angle, they are basically wider to allow the new model tank without pinching fingers, so it's kind of obvious that they will hit the fairing on the outside if everything else is left unchanged... Either mod the stops, or just live with it...
Old 04-01-2013, 09:07 AM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
Bars for North American models changed in 2001. The 2001 and later bars are angled upward approximately 7 degrees and are 15.6 mm higher, according to the brochure. The gas tank and fairing didn't change for North American models though and the newer bars shouldn't be a problem. There are tabs on the bars that fit into the gap in the top triple clamp where the bolts tighten the triple clamp to the fork tubes. If the tabs on the bars are in that gap and everything else is stock, nothing should hit the fairing at full lock.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:03 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by Tweety
The 2000-> clip-ons are at a different angle, they are basically wider to allow the new model tank without pinching fingers, so it's kind of obvious that they will hit the fairing on the outside if everything else is left unchanged... Either mod the stops, or just live with it...
I gather that your view is that in later models, the fairing was changed to avoid interference?

Originally Posted by comedo
Bars for North American models changed in 2001. The 2001 and later bars are angled upward approximately 7 degrees and are 15.6 mm higher, according to the brochure. The gas tank and fairing didn't change for North American models though and the newer bars shouldn't be a problem. There are tabs on the bars that fit into the gap in the top triple clamp where the bolts tighten the triple clamp to the fork tubes. If the tabs on the bars are in that gap and everything else is stock, nothing should hit the fairing at full lock.

aaand opposite view. cool the bike was cheap from a deceased estate so no history, it is very likely its had a bodgy repair or similar, I'm open to further discussion but knead-it on the steering stops is looking like the go
Old 04-02-2013, 08:44 PM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
Any close up pictures?
Old 04-03-2013, 12:36 AM
Superstock

cybercarl is on a distinguished road
+1
I use later bars on an earlier VTR with 16L tank and have no problems with clearance. I guess on full lock if your fingers are around the grips then they will hit the the tank but who goes full lock while riding. The bars dont touch the tank as the stop works just fine. There is a bout a 1cm gap between the bar and tank. I also have no problems with clearance the other direction against the fairing.

I use the later clip ons and a HRC throttle tube which takes a bit of wrist ache away that I used to get before. It's amassing how such a subtle difference of 7degrees can make a difference. No difference in length of clip on, just the angle and they are painted Black.

(:-})
Old 04-03-2013, 01:55 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by outrigger
I gather that your view is that in later models, the fairing was changed to avoid interference?

aaand opposite view. cool the bike was cheap from a deceased estate so no history, it is very likely its had a bodgy repair or similar, I'm open to further discussion but knead-it on the steering stops is looking like the go
No the fairing was unchanged... And that makes it tight on the newer models, tight but not actually hitting...
Old 04-03-2013, 07:54 PM
Squid

They clear the tank, but the levers will hit the fairing on both sides at full lock. It's always annoyed me that I have to turn it slightly back from full lock to close the ignition lock, so maybe by layering the stops out a bit I can perfect it. Two birds, and all that. Thanks for the advice guys, sounds like my fairing is outta whack. Upon close inspection its not symmetrical looking from the front, it's slightly skewed, so I'll fall back on blaming the PO
Old 04-04-2013, 05:30 PM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
The front fairing stay which also supports the instrument cluster may be bent. It's an expensive part.