SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   something fishy about my fairing... (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/something-fishy-about-my-fairing-30079/)

outrigger 03-31-2013 11:38 PM

something fishy about my fairing...

is there a difference in the top triple clamp or fairing screen brace angle that would account for 2002 clip ons clashing with the fairing on my 1998? I thought it would be a straight swap but I'm thinking I'll now have to mod the steering stops. I can't find anyone else on the forum who's had the same problem, seems to work out for others. Is my fairing badly bent from an unknown crash?? :shock:

cheers for the help!

Tweety 04-01-2013 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by outrigger (Post 351793)
is there a difference in the top triple clamp or fairing screen brace angle that would account for 2002 clip ons clashing with the fairing on my 1998? I thought it would be a straight swap but I'm thinking I'll now have to mod the steering stops. I can't find anyone else on the forum who's had the same problem, seems to work out for others. Is my fairing badly bent from an unknown crash?? :shock:

cheers for the help!

The 2000-> clip-ons are at a different angle, they are basically wider to allow the new model tank without pinching fingers, so it's kind of obvious that they will hit the fairing on the outside if everything else is left unchanged... Either mod the stops, or just live with it...

comedo 04-01-2013 09:07 AM

Bars for North American models changed in 2001. The 2001 and later bars are angled upward approximately 7 degrees and are 15.6 mm higher, according to the brochure. The gas tank and fairing didn't change for North American models though and the newer bars shouldn't be a problem. There are tabs on the bars that fit into the gap in the top triple clamp where the bolts tighten the triple clamp to the fork tubes. If the tabs on the bars are in that gap and everything else is stock, nothing should hit the fairing at full lock.

outrigger 04-02-2013 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Tweety (Post 351802)
The 2000-> clip-ons are at a different angle, they are basically wider to allow the new model tank without pinching fingers, so it's kind of obvious that they will hit the fairing on the outside if everything else is left unchanged... Either mod the stops, or just live with it...

I gather that your view is that in later models, the fairing was changed to avoid interference?

Originally Posted by comedo (Post 351840)
Bars for North American models changed in 2001. The 2001 and later bars are angled upward approximately 7 degrees and are 15.6 mm higher, according to the brochure. The gas tank and fairing didn't change for North American models though and the newer bars shouldn't be a problem. There are tabs on the bars that fit into the gap in the top triple clamp where the bolts tighten the triple clamp to the fork tubes. If the tabs on the bars are in that gap and everything else is stock, nothing should hit the fairing at full lock.

aaand opposite view. cool :) the bike was cheap from a deceased estate so no history, it is very likely its had a bodgy repair or similar, I'm open to further discussion but knead-it on the steering stops is looking like the go

NHSH 04-02-2013 08:44 PM

Any close up pictures?

cybercarl 04-03-2013 12:36 AM

+1
I use later bars on an earlier VTR with 16L tank and have no problems with clearance. I guess on full lock if your fingers are around the grips then they will hit the the tank but who goes full lock while riding. The bars dont touch the tank as the stop works just fine. There is a bout a 1cm gap between the bar and tank. I also have no problems with clearance the other direction against the fairing.

I use the later clip ons and a HRC throttle tube which takes a bit of wrist ache away that I used to get before. It's amassing how such a subtle difference of 7degrees can make a difference. No difference in length of clip on, just the angle and they are painted Black.

(:-})

Tweety 04-03-2013 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by outrigger (Post 351957)
I gather that your view is that in later models, the fairing was changed to avoid interference?

aaand opposite view. cool :) the bike was cheap from a deceased estate so no history, it is very likely its had a bodgy repair or similar, I'm open to further discussion but knead-it on the steering stops is looking like the go

No the fairing was unchanged... And that makes it tight on the newer models, tight but not actually hitting...

outrigger 04-03-2013 07:54 PM

They clear the tank, but the levers will hit the fairing on both sides at full lock. It's always annoyed me that I have to turn it slightly back from full lock to close the ignition lock, so maybe by layering the stops out a bit I can perfect it. Two birds, and all that. Thanks for the advice guys, sounds like my fairing is outta whack. Upon close inspection its not symmetrical looking from the front, it's slightly skewed, so I'll fall back on blaming the PO ;)

comedo 04-04-2013 05:30 PM

The front fairing stay which also supports the instrument cluster may be bent. It's an expensive part.