General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

so i took my bike to the shop...

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 07:50 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
so i took my bike to the shop...

i took it to fay meyers in denver to have the bike checked out and throw a jet kit on for me. they had it for almost 3 weeks called me today and said it checks out. no need to re jet it if i only have the stock exhaust. i was amazed by this because its a cali model. to my knowledge bone stock. anyways, the bike gets about 60 miles to the tank also.....i don't know what to do. they said they took apart the carb, checked the fuel system and the bike runs great. i know the gas mileage is off, and i've had this reoccuring and random fuel leak from the fuel tank breather tube, but the tech said he can find no problems and the bike didn't leak any fuel while at the shop.....so i don't know what to think. i am extremely discouraged with the bike right now.

i just need to have a sit down when i go in tomorrow and have everything spelled out to me i guess.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:53 PM
Back Marker

Otto Man is on a distinguished road
Huh?

Am I the only one confused by this post? Why did you get it rejetted in the first place?
Old 07-17-2008, 08:09 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

well i assumed i could get a little more power and fuel efficiency if the jets were set for altitude. i'm in denver around 5-6k in altitude. in my mind that would be a smart thing to do with a california model bike. but if i'm wrong, lemme know.

and i also wanted the bike to be checked out regarding the mystery fuel leak from the fuel tank breather tube and the 60 miles per TANK fuel economy.

how was my post confusing?
Old 07-17-2008, 08:19 PM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

divingindaytona is an unknown quantity at this point
60 miles per tank is bad. I get 85 to 120 miles per tank depending how I cane her.

If your that high in elevation, 5-6K they would need to lean out the carbs.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:24 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

my thoughts exactly.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:31 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Before EFI on cars, most US manufacturers built "High Altitude" models for Colorado. Carbs run richer at altitude.
Old 07-18-2008, 03:32 AM
Back Marker

Hammer7205 is on a distinguished road
Yeah, I'd say you defenitely need the rejet - probably the shitty fuel mileage. I normally get 85 to 110 (usually closer to 85, I don't ride her mellow....) on my '99 which is geared, jetted and piped. I'd also tell your dealer that the bike can't possibly check out if there's a fuel leak. There's guys on this forum that know a hell of alot about these bikes (probably more than most mechanics..) so they ought to be able to clue you in a little more. I'd say right now that if the breather's leaking, there might be a possibility of a the vent being FUBAR'd. Don't give up on her though, the SH is a hell of a runner, 'specially after you do a few tweaks here and there. Good Luck....
Old 07-18-2008, 03:56 AM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
60 miles per tank? That would be less than my 4200 pound F150 4X4 gets. That works out to 14.28 miles per gallon. Unless you've got a hole in the fuel tank, fuel lines or float bowls, I don't see how it is possible.
Old 07-18-2008, 04:24 AM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
California VTRs came with the same main jets as all the other VTRs shipped to North America- 175 front and 178 rear. Honda only specs smaller jets for continuous operation above 6000 ft., so standard jetting should be fine for Denver.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:26 AM
SuperSport

Death Cattle is on a distinguished road
hell, my low gas light comes on at 120 miles, and at that, you still have a gallon left.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:43 AM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

ok lets iron this out some more.....when you say low gas light, what exactly do you mean? when my tank gets low, the digital fuel gauge starts blinking at the lowest bar. last time it took about 65 miles from a full tank to the blinking light....now theres obviously more fuel left. but my impression was that the gauge is supposed to blink when theres about 100 -120 reg. on the tripometer. i was actually thinking about running the thing dry and just going by the trip-o. maybe the float mech. got jacked when i dropped it. (apperently with the breather valve in the tank too)

i'm going to the dealer in a couple hours and i'll lay it out some more and see what they say.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:10 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
The older models had a low fuel light commonly called the RLOD for red light on dash or something like that... You have the newer version like I do (2002) with the LCD display - my bike is stock except for shimming the needles and a K&N filter which gets me 40-43 mpg with a mix of highway/city riding.

Its quite possible that your sending unit is not reading right either which would give you a false reading on the gauge.

Originally Posted by j shizzy wizzy
ok lets iron this out some more.....when you say low gas light, what exactly do you mean? when my tank gets low, the digital fuel gauge starts blinking at the lowest bar. last time it took about 65 miles from a full tank to the blinking light....now theres obviously more fuel left. but my impression was that the gauge is supposed to blink when theres about 100 -120 reg. on the tripometer. i was actually thinking about running the thing dry and just going by the trip-o. maybe the float mech. got jacked when i dropped it. (apperently with the breather valve in the tank too)

i'm going to the dealer in a couple hours and i'll lay it out some more and see what they say.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:59 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

ok guys this is strange or maybe i'm a dumbass......i 've been experiencing slight fuel leakage randomly with my hawk, not a ton but drips of fuel under it every now and then...seems to be when the temp. swings outside fast.

the tech at fay meyer said it was normal, that if i take notice next time i'm out on a hot day, i will see fuel drippage under most bikes?

i told him the fuel drips are coming from the tank breather tube and he assured me this is normal. I've always been under the impression that only fuel vapor should come out of that tube!?

so does everyone else experience these "Normal" fuel leaks from time to time?

he also didn't under stand me when i said 60 miles per tank.....he thought i meant 60 per mile.... so he's gonna check out the sending unit and look for an answer to that.

his name was John, service dept. at fey meyers....seems like a great guy.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:01 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

oh and by the way, my avatar chicken is wearing racing leathers!...i was laughing pretty hard when i saw that. had to post it here, thought it would be perfect! lol
Old 07-18-2008, 02:32 PM
Shredding Asphalt
Superstock

MisfitToy is on a distinguished road
just outa curiosity when your light comes on and you get gas how much gas are you putting in?
Old 07-18-2008, 06:55 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

i can't recall. about 3 gallons......def. more than i should be.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:03 PM
I could ride in
SuperBike

LineArrayNut is on a distinguished road
that's actually about right, I get 3.6 gallons after the red blinking bar filling on level ground w/ the sidestand to the stamped bar is just awash, not completely covered. i've never actually packed it full to the neck. that's about 120 miles slabbing easy on it or 100 ***** out. you've definitely got a problem somewhere at 60 per and i've NEVER had a bike leaking fuel *normally* - what a crock...
Old 07-18-2008, 07:20 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

well i don't go ballsout, i like to cruise mostly. yeah i don't know what to think about the dripping issue. i mean the place i took it is considered the best shop in town for hondas. but they are abit more expensive. the guy that helped me seemed to be very honest and made complete sense to me about everything else. i didn't get the feeling he was bullshitin' me either, i have a knack for picking out people who are not being honest with me.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:30 PM
MotoGP

If you fill to the top, then without riding much park in the sun, the gas will expand and run out the overflow tube. Unless you have a CA bike with the EVAP canister.
You should not fill above the collar in the fill neck.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:36 PM
MotoGP

oh and by the way, my avatar chicken is wearing racing leathers!...i was laughing pretty hard when i saw that. had to post it here, thought it would be perfect! lol
I'd like to see that chicken on a SuperChicken. Doing a wheelie.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:41 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Unless the bike is exposed to daily heating and cooling in a parking lot - I think "normal leaking" is the same as the same **** you get out of the normal mechanics in almost any shop. They haven't seen a Superhawk since your Momma rode one.

I had to laugh last weekend. We went out to breakfast. My riding pal tells me when we get there, "everytime you get on it - there's a little puff of smoke."

I ask him if it's blue or black and he runs a smoke helmet like me and you can't tell. We cackle about it a little more and decide she's just a little rich.

My RLOD (that's red light of death) comes on at about 87 miles. I put in about 3 gallons and she's happy. I have run the bike dry. With stock gearing, once the light came on during a spirited ride I was on the side of the road in 18 miles.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:50 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

it is a cali bike, are you saying the evapcanister can be full of fuel ?
Old 07-18-2008, 07:52 PM
MotoGP

Next chapter, then I dropped to 15t front. left the rear alone. As it sits, it's rich in most circumstances. But when you're on it, it pulls like a dogsled and never looks back. The engine brake is also awesome. I am in hopes that the TPS mod and the PAIR will cure some of the rich properties that the bike exhibits but if it starts to cut into the pull off throttle it will not happen.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:59 PM
MotoGP

You sure you don't have water in your fuel? I would start stripping **** off the bike until it ran clean. Then I would apologize to the neighbors and go buy parts.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:00 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

well it sits outside so it does get the hot and cold. and it does seem to do it after a fillup. so i guess the guy isn't full of it, no?
Old 07-18-2008, 08:02 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

stripping stuff off and buying parts? please elaborate what you mean.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:11 PM
Crash
Superstock

COLE is on a distinguished road
i totally agree with dude that said 85-120, my lights actually blinkin way b4 120 but i had to push it that far a few times makin long trips, i make extremely good timing on long trips ha ya'll kno wut i mean
Old 07-18-2008, 08:45 PM
MotoGP

That should not happen. When Honda came out with the 500 Intercepter in '85, I think, they did a recall about 6 months later because the canisters were filling up with fuel.

Just fill to the bottom of the collar, as recommended, and it shouldn't be a problem.
If you want to check it, just remove the canister. If its full of gas it will weigh a ton.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:14 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

good info......i sure didn't think that could happen. yes i fill up properly too