General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Should I trade?? Or not??

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 07:48 AM
ride it out
SuperSport

nothing is on a distinguished road
Should I trade?? Or not??

I have someone who wants to trade his 03 YZF600R for my 98 naked Hawk. I have a bit done to it (nothing too expensive), but still it's 11 years old... The other bike is an inline 4 which I have been looking for but it's only a 600 and I would have to mod it because I'm like that. What does everyone think? Now don't get me wrong I LOVE my hawk just time for something new I think along the lines of 4 cylinders. I'm also going to meet up later on today to swap bikes and go for a ride...
Old 06-10-2009, 07:57 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Assuming we are speaking of the YZF600 (and not the R6), I struggled with the same question a few years back. The YZF is generally acknowledged as being a very capable all-rounder with decent performance and excellent comfort for long rides. Assuming teh YZF is in good shape, there is no real right or wrong answer to the question. It all depends on what you value in a bike and if you really do want a change. The 600 (in stock form) is likely a slightly better handler and a bit more comfortable. The instantaneous torque of the VTR would be absent, however.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:04 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
If it were me I'd tell him to go pound sand because I couldn't stand twisting the 600's throttle and waiting for something to happen...my 2 cents...good luck whattever you choose
Old 06-10-2009, 08:07 AM
MotoGP

In the words of famous Seinfeld lawyer Jackie Chiles "The ride will help you decide"
Old 06-10-2009, 08:07 AM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mikstr
Assuming we are speaking of the YZF600 (and not the R6), I struggled with the same question a few years back. The YZF is generally acknowledged as being a very capable all-rounder with decent performance and excellent comfort for long rides. Assuming teh YZF is in good shape, there is no real right or wrong answer to the question. It all depends on what you value in a bike and if you really do want a change. The 600 (in stock form) is likely a slightly better handler and a bit more comfortable. The instantaneous torque of the VTR would be absent, however.

+1

standard YZF will have just about the same 100 HP but makes it's torque higher in the RPM range ( listed @ 9500 rpm's ) so it will seem like a dog down low...

tim
Old 06-10-2009, 08:20 AM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
it won't hurt anything to try the yzf out, at least there is no commitment until after you ride it. My guess is if you have spent some time on the hawk the yzf will feel anemic. What about an I-4 appeals to you? What specifically are you looking for that the hawk doesn't have? Like better handling harder top end hit? Or just something new to mod?
Old 06-10-2009, 08:23 AM
MotoGP

The high-rpm rush of an I4 does hold a certain appeal too IMO
Old 06-10-2009, 08:28 AM
Duc Hawk
SuperSport

Moto Man is on a distinguished road
Unless your headed to the track I would say stick with the hawk. It's better for most riding that you will likely do on the street.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:26 AM
Back Marker

malahhaor is on a distinguished road
My .02c
After having the superchicken, i would not go for anything smaller than a newer 750s I4.
For my taste it's not the speed but the acceleration, and that's what hawk delivers. I would need an advanced I4 750cc and up for such accel...
Old 06-10-2009, 10:25 AM
ride it out
SuperSport

hmm well realistically I am looking for that top end power out of a 4. the hawk has a ton of torque on the highway, but there is no way I'm getting it up on 1 wheel at highway speeds. when i WOT it in 6th the front suspension will max out (that's torque) but an i-4 will give me a good lift. but I'm not too sure still because i'm in love with the full range torque this bike's got just with the new sprockets it kinda flattens out higher up..,.thus the 11.8@112 1/4 time
Old 06-10-2009, 10:56 AM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
My opinion based on what I've read, 'cause I haven't ridden a YZF600R.

It's a really good sporty sport 600 all rounder. It makes a bit less peak power than a VTR, weighs same or a bit more than a VTR, is a bit slower in the quarter mile.

Big difference for me? The VTR makes more grunt/torque just off Idle than the Yami makes at its peak.

His YZF is 5 years newer but since the only difference between a good first year and last year VTR is the gauge cluster, that wouldn't mean anything to me.

I've ridden a friends '07 R6, it's a very cool bike but I wouldn't trade my VTR for it either.

Last edited by RK1; 06-10-2009 at 10:58 AM.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:00 AM
ride it out
SuperSport

good input, I'mm just check it out today and take it for a spin then decide after...
Old 06-10-2009, 11:06 AM
MotoGP

If I remember correctly, the YZF received its last update in 1997 so a 2003 is the same as a 1997. That being said, it has often been compared to the VFR for its all-around capabilities (with some saying it is actually superior).
Old 06-10-2009, 12:42 PM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

divingindaytona is an unknown quantity at this point
A couple of years ago I borrowed my friends YZF600 (not the R6). I was not impressed. I thought that it was lacking. I may be bias because I love the shawk for the real world power, torque, that it has.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:02 PM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
I rode my buddy's a few years back. but at the time, the only bike I had owned was a suzuki '82 GS450L. so it felt pretty strong to me. but compared to the hawk, well its a sportbike for people who want to look like they ride sportbikes. its the tame version of the R6 and frankly, it feels like it. you are going to be frustrated by it unless you are ringing its neck constantly. I had a friend's 636 at my house for a while. (a bike that would eat the yzf alive) and when I took it for a spin, I found it annoyng as hell. for street purposes anyway. wanna pass a car? ring its neck. wanna beat a light? downshift and ring its neck. basically if you want to do anything that requires more than 40 hp, ring its neck. I think unless you are gonna be tracking it often, you'll want the hawk. and if you were gonna track it often, you'd be better off with the R6 anyway. it doesn't provide anything that the hawk doesn't. unless you are gonna live above 8,000rpm. my $.02
Old 06-10-2009, 03:40 PM
Superstock

t-dogg is on a distinguished road
I actually know of 2 people with an 03 R6 (still not sure if your talking about the yzf or R6) and they beat the **** out of them. I know my one buddy's is always having problems with his and he keeps on trying to sell it to me. If its been riden hard I would stay away from it. Plus you will look like all the others out there on the road and thats no fun...
Old 06-10-2009, 04:01 PM
Back Marker

super duper hawk is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by nothing
I have someone who wants to trade his 03 YZF600R for my 98 naked Hawk. I have a bit done to it (nothing too expensive), but still it's 11 years old... The other bike is an inline 4 which I have been looking for but it's only a 600 and I would have to mod it because I'm like that. What does everyone think? Now don't get me wrong I LOVE my hawk just time for something new I think along the lines of 4 cylinders. I'm also going to meet up later on today to swap bikes and go for a ride...
The YZF 600 is a girls bike its early 90's tech. I would not do it...
Old 06-11-2009, 04:44 AM
ride it out
SuperSport

well thanks for all the input fellas, we didn't trade, he said he'd let me know but I think I'll be sticking with my bike anyways. his sounded great though, but so does mine!
Old 06-11-2009, 06:31 AM
Back Marker

malahhaor is on a distinguished road
I was up in Wisconsin for Superbike weekend, and my Hawk was getting all kinds of looks even at it was standing between my friends 1098 and my other friends 749S.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:33 AM
Superstock

t-dogg is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nothing
well thanks for all the input fellas, we didn't trade, he said he'd let me know but I think I'll be sticking with my bike anyways. his sounded great though, but so does mine!
Good choice man. That would have been a shame..