Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues
View Poll Results: Should I start modding my ~38000 mile VTR?
No way -- waste of $$$
16.67%
Just the necessities (exhaust, springs, other to specify)
37.50%
Hellz yeah go all out!!
45.83%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

'98 VTR w/~38000 mi ... should I mod or not?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 08:05 PM
FNG
Squid

Streeter1981 is on a distinguished road
Question '98 VTR w/~38000 mi ... should I mod or not?

Hi, I've got a '98 VTR with almost 38000 miles. I haven't ridden it for about a year (needed new tires, moving, getting married, graduating, starting job, buying house, many other excuses) because I was too busy to just get new tires for it.

Now, it was sitting for a year and I decided to get new front and rear tires (Dunlop Roadsmarts) and a full servicing from a local dealer (near Denver). It feels pretty sluggish right now (on the way to the shop) and needs a lot of cosmetic help (cracked right fairing, messed up turn signal, broken seat cover cowl, foggy/ugly windshield) and probably some functional help as well. I'll do enough to keep riding it because it's an awesome bike, but I'm wondering if I should go the extra mile and start with some mods?

For instance, exhaust, suspension, jet kit, etc? Do you think it'd be worth it at ~38000 miles or should I just wait and get a new bike? Any input is welcomed. Thanks!
Old 04-27-2009, 08:08 PM
hardened stihl
Back Marker

vermontzx6r is on a distinguished road
If I were you I'd have it serviced and keep it for your trusty roadtrip/ tourer and get a low mileage RR to rip around. No point in polishing a turd.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:34 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
It al depends on how long you plan on keeping it. My VTR is nearing 70,000 miles and the mods are still going strong...
Old 04-28-2009, 06:09 AM
Post Whore Junior
MotoGP

Cleveland is on a distinguished road
That's totally up to you.. Do you have a lot of money to throw at it, or are you on a tight budget? Are you using the money that would better be set aside for retirement, or investing? Will you track day it, daily drive, tool about town on weekends, or weekend trip it? Do you plan to keep it forever, and just rebuild it as you need to to keep it running? Do you need a hobby (there are less expensive ones)? I think you see where I'm going with this.. There are alot of questions ytou have to ask yourself..

Ultimately you wont get but maybe 10 more horses from it. A REALLY good running on you might get 15-20 (but to get here you ahve to do many engine mods also).. so HP to money return is not there...

Exhaust to make it sound better = Yes
Jet kit to make it run better = yes
Suspension = 50/50 I am a heavy guy (200lbs) I dont track day, not trying to hang in the corners.. so I'm ok with the stock suspension.. so I say no on the suspension..

remember the people that are voting "hell yeah" are spending YOUR money.. not theirs.. lol. It's easy to spend other peoples money.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:54 AM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
^ well said!
Old 04-28-2009, 08:38 AM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
Personally, I get a kick out of modding (personalizing) my bikes... it's just fun. If 38k miles is the only thing holding you back, don't let it. 38k is a drop in the bucket for a well maintained VTR. Even if the motor does go out, a low mile VTR motor is not hard to come by at a decent price. If you like the bike keep it and make it your own.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:42 AM
FNG
Squid

Heh definitely well said Cleveland. I definitely have other things I could spend money on ... and no I don't have tons of money to throw at it. I'm just wondering if this bike is gonna keep going strong or not! But from mikstr's post, it looks like there's a chance!

I mostly plan on using the bike for to/from work and the occasional weekend trip to the mountains. I want to make sure it keeps running well and if there's anything I can do to increase the gas mileage. I know that most mods decrease mileage but improve performance/horsepower -- don't really need that.

I also want it to look pretty though! The biggest issues cosmetically are the cracked upper right fairing and the seat cover and seat itself ... can't find good deals on those anywhere!
Old 04-28-2009, 09:13 AM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
Be patient, I bought a whole front clip from a member here who wanted to go streetfighter. Insane deal, but I waited for it for almost a year. Check out superhawkparts.com and watch ebay closely, lots of peeps are unloading right now because of the economy.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:19 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
I started modding mine post 50,000 miles. The way I see it, it is good for another 50k easy and it's already devalued (and you never get your modding $ back) so why not?

BTW there is a VTR on Craigslist in California right now for sale with 105,000 miles on it.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:22 AM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
Let ebay be your friend - and this forum too. Finding the plastic bits in decent shape cheaply will take a bit of time but it is more than possible to replace everything that is painted (tank too) for under 5 bills.
IMHO I would get it looking like new before any mods, excepting CCT & RR.
As far as gas mileage? try not to let it bother you. Ultimately the difference between 37 mpg and 45mpg over 5000 miles is only 24 gallons. Take into account our Bird drinks regular and the true $$ is even less.
Polishing a turd? F that. This is probably the easiest and most cost effective bike out there to bring back to looking new...
Old 04-28-2009, 09:30 AM
Superstock

dshakes is on a distinguished road
If you love the bike put some love into it. The guys on this forum are great and they answer any question gladly no matter how minor. I say go for it.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:08 PM
Back Marker

MOONSTER is on a distinguished road
DITTO ON WHAT MOST OF THE GUYS ARE SAYING. IT'S AN INDIVIDUAL THING. DON'T HAVE TO DO EVERYTHING @ ONCE. ALOT DEPENDS ON YOUR BUDGET. IF IT'S ANYTHING LIKE MINE ONE OR TWO MODS A YR I FEEL LUCKY. CCT'S MY NEXT PRODJECT. I'VE OWNED 8 BIKES, MOSTLY I4'S, & PERSONNALY I THINK THE SH IS THE MOST FUN.
I'VE OFTEN WONDERED IF THE INFLECTION OF TINKERITIS IS A PREQUIL TO THE DREADED LAKANOOKITIS, OR IS IT THE OTHER WAY AROUND!
Old 04-28-2009, 05:21 PM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
It really depends on how long you plan on keeping it, and not on what the bike is worth. The mods won't really add any value whether it's high mileage or not.

Like lazn said, the bike isn't worth squat with that many miles, so you can just enjoy it and maintain it and not worry about hurting resale.

33K and counting here.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:34 PM
FNG
Squid

Thanks for the help everybody! I got it back from the shop today after getting new tires and a full service, and it feels and runs great! It definitely reinforces my love of the bike!!

However, my speedometer stopped working for about 5 mins on the way home ... I'm guessing this might be a known issue?
Old 04-29-2009, 04:59 PM
Squid

TODDSPEED is on a distinguished road
To mod or not to mod, is that the question.

How about this; make an informed decision, get the engine checked by a pro. If it looks like you have plenty of miles of riding left in the engine, go ahead and start improving the other parts.