General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Should I Take the Plunge?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 06:47 AM
Back Marker

thusspakebenji is on a distinguished road
Should I Take the Plunge?

http://albany.craigslist.org/mcy/1698410614.html

Thinking about trading my KLR650 for this. Any input? Is 44k a lot for one of these motors? Anything I should look out for?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ben
Old 04-21-2010, 07:12 AM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
you will find alot of supers with alot more then 44k miles, but I wouldn't say it is low or anything. Mine has 56k and is still running great. Well obviously there is a good chance it has been crashed hence the street fightering. So check for important things being bent like forks and frame. You will have to do some measuring just in case t is not obvious. I would check it out and offer a little less then what he wants and see what happens. You can find nearly pristine hawks for 3k. My dad did had 6k miles and still looked brand new.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:41 AM
Back Marker

SD Hawk is on a distinguished road
My advice.....throw another $500-$1000, keep looking for a low mileage hawk.
You see them come up here on the forum for around $3k, generally lower miles, great condition and more often than not some if not all mods complete.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:10 AM
SuperBike

Old Yeller is on a distinguished road
Just for reference, I bought mine for 2500 with only 18k on it. it had several upgrades, including an Staintune exhaust, which runs close to $1200.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:36 AM
Back Marker

I thought crash too, but the guy is legit and has a clean title, gave me the VIN to check and everything. I've seen the hawks for 3k or so but my only issue is that A) I want to trade mine because selling is a hassle, and B) I'm a broke *** law student that doesnt have that extra 500-1000 to spend. Other than the fightering the bike is bone stock with no leaks, problems, etc.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:50 AM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
Welcome - Are you local? at Albany law?
I've seen this on craigs list myself. I don't think 44k is so terrible, but i'm not convinced that $1900 for that bike is the best deal.
Is this a straight trade for yout KLR? is your bike a '99? Could be my own bias - I'm not a fan of the fighter style. If all your looking for more of a sport ride this could be it
PS - is your ride in good shape? I've been thinking about a dual purpose. I might throw some cash your way

Last edited by Stevebis1; 04-21-2010 at 09:52 AM.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:53 AM
SuperSport

residentg is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by SD Hawk
My advice.....throw another $500-$1000, keep looking for a low mileage hawk.
You see them come up here on the forum for around $3k, generally lower miles, great condition and more often than not some if not all mods complete.
+1, do an ebay search too
Old 04-21-2010, 10:31 AM
Back Marker

@Stevebis1
I am local, I live in Saratoga. My KLR is a 99' with a bunch of mods (seat, exhaust, bodywork, etc), 10k, and strong like bull. Unfortunately that hard mounted big single shakes my brain a little more than I'd like, plus I realized that I do little if any off roading (aside from my dirt road). I want to switch to a sport bike but dont want to dump 3k into something that I might not like. I'm also not a fan of those inline 4s and see every yuppie douche that can take out a loan driving a "Gixxer around brah" and I dont even want to associate myself with that. The trade would be straight, 1 for 1, so I wouldnt have to spend any extra cash. And I go to Buffalo Law (state prices ) but am hopelessly addicted to the ADK mountains so I stick around here whenever I can.

@residentg
Refer to earlier post about me being a broke *** law student

EDIT: Then again, if someone wants to trade their bike for mine, we can work something out

Last edited by thusspakebenji; 04-21-2010 at 10:40 AM.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:56 PM
pragmatic anarchist
Superstock

peterpanic is on a distinguished road
I would probably try to get a bit of cash my way on that deal. Bone stock VTR without fairings seems like a $1500 bike to me at the most, and you'll want to spend a few bucks on it (thousands if you end up in the OMCD ward). But if I didn't ride off road and didn't have a Shawk I would probably do the deal somehow or other. Your bike seems pretty nice to trade even is all I'm saying. Then again you will have TWO big cylinders to work with. Lots of fun on a dirt road!!
Old 04-21-2010, 03:13 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by peterpanic
I would probably try to get a bit of cash my way on that deal. Bone stock VTR without fairings seems like a $1500 bike to me at the most, and you'll want to spend a few bucks on it (thousands if you end up in the OMCD ward). But if I didn't ride off road and didn't have a Shawk I would probably do the deal somehow or other. Your bike seems pretty nice to trade even is all I'm saying. Then again you will have TWO big cylinders to work with. Lots of fun on a dirt road!!

You really hit the main point there, why have a dual sport when I never go off road? By "I live on a dirt road" means "it's a half mile stretch of dirt before I get to a major roadway," which is no big deal (I owned a Ninja before the KLR). What I'm really concerned with is that the bike doesnt explode at 45k but from what I've read and seen in here, they're capable of much more than that. I'm going to meet the gent' soon so we'll see how it goes.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:35 PM
pragmatic anarchist
Superstock

Originally Posted by thusspakebenji
What I'm really concerned with is that the bike doesnt explode at 45k
Keep in mind it IS a Honda. Look after the CCTs and it just goes and goes. My Civic has 232,000 miles and ALOT of them were my son bouncing it off the limiter (I would never do such a thing!). I lived on a dirt road off a 5 mile gravel road outside of BingNY and it was so cool hearing the straight pipe harley guys going up and down the dips in the morning. Better than a rooster or alarm clock. If the guy wants your bike enough you should be able to come to some agreement. Post a bunch now, once your a lawyer we can't be held accountable for what we say!
Old 04-21-2010, 03:40 PM
Back Marker

Because you dudes are so damn cool, you all get a pro bono thrown your way

Really though, I was in the KLR forum a few times, nowhere near as helpful and speedy as this forum, keep up the excellent work!
Old 04-21-2010, 03:52 PM
pragmatic anarchist
Superstock

Because you dudes are so damn cool, you all get a pro bono thrown your way
It's only fair you get to retract that offer. You have no idea how busy you'll be!
Old 04-21-2010, 06:38 PM
Back Marker

Got it! Rode it home, giant grin. It's a lot of bike, cant wait to start doing stuff to it
Old 04-21-2010, 06:48 PM
pragmatic anarchist
Superstock

official welcome. Happy Honda owner= bugs in the teeth.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:39 PM
Back Marker

my bike was worth no more than 1500 so I'd say I got a decent deal. The mileage and streetfighter-ness are kinda funky but whatever, it pulls like a **** and makes no funky noises. I've been reading about these cam chain issues you guys are talking about, any good thread to read up on that?
Old 04-22-2010, 05:45 AM
pragmatic anarchist
Superstock

nope, sorry. it's top secret!
Old 04-22-2010, 05:57 AM
pragmatic anarchist
Superstock

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=11275 start here. many more posts in Knowledge Base and probably elsewhere. Real nice Avatar BTW!
Old 04-22-2010, 08:58 AM
SuperSport

Glad you got the SHawk. Toss up some pics so we can see whats doin.
As you browse the forum you'll see the key things - R/R and CCTs. RR is simple. Look at yours, if it has fins prolly no worries. If it doesn't pick one up - couple ideas on this. Honda makes an updated one with fins or you can go the R1 route others have written up.
CCTs - well as you read you will see there is a slight bit of controvercy. Most look at it as insurance, others suggest the risk of putting them in may be equivalent to the risk of the OEM.
Everyone has an opinion...
What oil are you putting in?
Gas? 87? 93? mix your own?
Have fun and keep the shiny side up

PS. Pro Bono works for me! Although I'm pretty experienced talkin to the ocifer...
Old 04-22-2010, 09:49 AM
Back Marker

RR? What's that?

I read that using regular gas is the way to go unless you have high compression pistons (which I most certainly dont) so I think I'll stick with the 87 pee-gas.

I was actually going to ask about what oil I should use. Some people on here have been talking about Rotella (which I used on my KLR, 15-40) but which kind of Rotella should I use? Any info would be great.

As to the CCT, I think I'm going to leave it as it, I'm not hearing funky noises and the chain tension appears to be perfect.

....could use some new sprockets after this season though

For now I'm going to change all the fluids (brakes, clutch, oil, etc), shine it up and go slap some grins on my face

But please heap tons of info on me, I love it.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:55 AM
Back Marker

offroad_rider2008 is on a distinguished road
congrats on getting a super nice bike, i just got mine a few months ago and love it more than any of my other bikes, im on it every day its not bad out, get used to that grin, it only gets bigger, lol
p.s. i have family in up state ny, around Cobleskill

Last edited by offroad_rider2008; 04-22-2010 at 09:57 AM.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:05 AM
SuperSport

Time to do some more searches and read up - we can be very helpful, but only to those who first help themselves...

The oil & gas was a forum joke. Search on it and you will find TONS of information and opinions. Short answer? I tend to agree with both your choices. Others may not...
R/R - Regulator rectifier. Keeps your battery and other stuff happy with the voltage from the stator. Search on it, you'll find plenty.
On the CCT, I strongly suggest you read all the threads, then make up your mind for yourself.
Sprockets? lots of brands and metalurgy's out there. Most stay away from aluminum. +2 works for me on the back, others like -1/+2
Don't skip the coolant either. I've not had a problem but some others report they are a bit warm blooded
Now go have some fun
Old 04-22-2010, 10:15 AM
Deus vult!
Back Marker

Mr Toad is on a distinguished road
The CCT is the VTR's version of the KLR's Doohickey. I had and '05 KLR before the VTR. It's a good swap.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:16 AM
Back Marker

Definitely agree with the help yourself first thing. I have been doing lots of searching on this forum and around the net, but being that I'm a new comer to the land of the hawk, having a jump off point is awesome, so thank you guys very much for your time, it's greatly appreciated. I've already bought a service manual and the oil filter, now I just need to find out which oil would be the best. Decisions decisions....
Old 04-22-2010, 10:19 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by Mr Toad
The CCT is the VTR's version of the KLR's Doohickey. I had and '05 KLR before the VTR. It's a good swap.
Now that's what I wanted to hear! Haha! Awesome, thanks Mr Toad I stressed over the doohickey, took it to a shop, opened it up with the mechanic (buddy of mine), and it was perfectly fine. And yet it still put my brain through a blender from those big single vibes. The KLR was nice, but after riding the hawk home, I am overjoyed with my choice (aside from the slight brake squeak when paddle walking, but I'll fix that), the difference is night and day, and it's a beautiful thing.

Looks like I've found my new addiction!
Old 04-22-2010, 12:31 PM
SuperSport

Also check out out Greg's web page http://www.superhawk996.net/ Lots of good stuff there.

You mentioned you are poor...
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...art+oil+filter
Walmart is good for filters too.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:37 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
As to the CCT, I think I'm going to leave it as it, I'm not hearing funky noises and the chain tension appears to be perfect.
FYI: it's not the drive chain, it's the cam chains, and you can't see them without removing the valve covers.

Also you usually won't hear it in time, when they go, most people get about 1/2 a second noise warning before the valves become intimate with the pistons and the top end of the engine is toast.

But really it is probably less than 10% of the bikes that suffer from this, and I didn't do mine till 46k miles so it's your own choice. (but for ~$110 and a few hours wrenching for the peace of mind it was worth it in my book)
Old 04-29-2010, 06:40 AM
Back Marker

Righto, my bad. Brain all mixed up from the high I'm getting from this bike Cam chain, not drive chain. Odd thing is, I know what's what from my old KLR. Love when I think one thing and type another, or vice a versa.
Old 04-29-2010, 03:24 PM
Deus vult!
Back Marker

Mr Toad is on a distinguished road
My KLR only had about 5k on it when I did the Doo, and sure enough the tension spring was broken - not a big deal at the time but if I had gone and tried to adjust it - Boom!