Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

sorry guys! i took the rc51 plunge!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 11:42 PM
Superstock

thefauxnarchist is on a distinguished road
sorry guys! i took the rc51 plunge!

just picked up my SP1s today (thats right, plural) one's running as normal, obviously, but the other is a rolling chassis + unmounted motor. the latter definitely needs a lot of work, but hell, im gonna see it through and restore some of its glory, especially having ridden the sucker home earlier. all i have to say is WWWOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWW

dont worry, im still keeping the hawk though...hopefully LOL
Old 10-26-2008, 01:58 AM
Back Marker

HisHawkiness is on a distinguished road
Iv always loved the RC51, its got a killer look to it, seems somehow exotic compared to other Hondas and Japanese bikes in general. What does it compare to powerwise? id imagine it would be kind of like a GSXR750, just with more torque/down low grunt.

Good luck with the restore.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:42 AM
Back Marker

Scoutpilot is on a distinguished road
I am totally jealous X2
Old 10-26-2008, 08:25 AM
Superstock

thefauxnarchist is on a distinguished road
@hishawkiness

oh brother, the power is unbelievable. i hate to say this, but it almost feels like it puts the hawk to shame with how the torque has an early bump low in the rev range AND how fast the damn thing spins up! it was totally intimidating seeing how it spins up so quickly. this is a poor analogy, but its almost like the hawk spins like a harley and the rc spins like a SS I-4. i didnt really think there was that much difference in the character of the 2 honda twins, but there is.

anyways i think the "factory" numbers for the rc put hp @ 120 something and torque @ 75 ish lb-ft. on the SP1's the power curve is a little different due to mapping and throttle bodies, but theres an early load of power, a small plateau and a pretty steep (though linear) build of power towards redline. it sure feels that way riding it too on first riding impressions. i havent wound out the motor yet though, that will wait until after i do my first full fluid flush later today haha!

when i first saw the bike and give it a few pumps of the throttle (it has carbon jardines mind you!) my friend standing next too me i swear jumped back cuz it startled him so much. its friggin LOUD. dunno if its me, but the exhaust sounds totally different than a hawk. but then again, i have stainless yoshis on my hawk.

ill keep you guys posted! oh, and if you guys want, maybe ill bust out the cam and do some HI QUAL walk arounds and upload them. no low qual youtube flicks ahhaha
Old 10-27-2008, 12:24 PM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
thefauxnarchist- Good call on keeping the 'Hawk. Some days you won't feel like sacrificing your soul to the RC and rip around everywhere you go like you're Nicky Hayden. It's nice to have each and you will appreciate the 'Hawk more and more after every ride on the RC. You have 2 out of 3 best bikes Honda ever made.