General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

shorter wheel base

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 05:42 PM
gab
Squid

gab is on a distinguished road
shorter wheel base

hi guys im about to change my chain/sprockets and im looking for a shorter wheelbase without reducing the already small gear ratio ..Anyone try a 17 front or can we just remove a link with stock sprocket ?
Old 12-19-2013, 11:30 PM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
Never heard of anyone doing 17 front... Not sure that you even have the room for larger sprocket in the front, but why would you want to do that? You will get effectively higher top end speed and loose usable torque at lower RPM where you really need it.
As for the link removal, wouldn't work, it will get too short, the 102 link standard is as short as you can get it.
Best way to achieve shorter wheel base is to do a front swap to one of the options like CBR1000RR front end, shorter and lighter as well.
Old 12-20-2013, 01:29 PM
SuperSport

sailorjerry is on a distinguished road
The only way you can go shorter is to change the gear ratio to 16/43 this will allow you to run the 102 link chain with the adjusters run all the way in. This is the perfect gearing IMO picks up the lower end a bit and makes 6 gear top out better. Not to mention the slightly (remember we are talking millimeters) gives slightly better turn in and loves to pull the front wheel up.

There is no way a 100 link chain would fit with stock gearing.
Old 12-20-2013, 03:17 PM
Superstock

insulinboy is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by NHSH
Never heard of anyone doing 17 front...
I thought about doing a 17 front to keep the front wheel down with passengers and to lower highway RPM's a tad. The Hawk has enough torque that while yes it would feel sluggish from stock it still wouldn't have any less power on the highway than my YZF600 would at speed in 6th. I looked though and I don't think anyone even makes a countershaft sproket for the hawk that big.. Also I decided that I could keep the front end down just fine with my right hand and go 15t on the front and have more fun by myself
Old 12-20-2013, 04:01 PM
Back Marker

ascothawk is on a distinguished road
I run a 17 for long trips, it knocks the rpm down about 250-300 rpm at 70mph. I put it on for a trip to the Barber Museum and left it on for a couple of years. When you go from the 17 back to a 16 you can barely tell the difference, but go from the 17 to 15 and you will be looking for a 7th gear. It's barely noticeable in 1st gear, but allows you to run the lower gears out a little longer.
Old 12-21-2013, 01:45 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by gab
hi guys im about to change my chain/sprockets and im looking for a shorter wheelbase without reducing the already small gear ratio ..Anyone try a 17 front or can we just remove a link with stock sprocket ?
It's a far better idea to stick a spacer on the rear shock... It raises the rear, which also effectively reduces wheel base, and done right, to reasonable levels, improves handling in many ways, not just the shorter wheel base... Without the downsides of the gearing change... Yeah, granted, for special occasions like long haul, it has positive effects... But in general, I'd say it's a downside mostly...
Old 12-22-2013, 05:26 AM
gab
Squid

thks guys im gonna look for a spacer first. i hear some have use body spacer ...oherwise where can i find one?
Old 12-22-2013, 09:59 AM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by gab
thks guys im gonna look for a spacer first. i hear some have use body spacer ...oherwise where can i find one?
Just make one from stacked fender washers. Cut one side open to save pulling the shock top bolt fully out. Might cost $2 at the local hardware store plus an hour of your time. 5 to 6mm max height.

Last edited by CrankenFine; 12-22-2013 at 10:01 AM.
Old 12-22-2013, 11:44 AM
Superstock

insulinboy is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by gab
Im using a pair of chevy body spacers on mine. Its handy because you just have to loosen the nut, lift the rear and slide them in, you don't have to completely disassemble it

My buddy just had them laying around in the garage, I wouldn't know where to find it
Old 12-22-2013, 01:25 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

thedeatons is on a distinguished road
I ran a compact drivetrain on my cbr900rr. Managed to get the same ratio with smaller sprockets and less chain for less unsprung weight.

Gearing on the way! Compact Drivetrain!!

James
Old 12-22-2013, 02:13 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Here is a chart i used on my cbr900rr build. Find the ratio you want, then write that number down (.???). Try and find a number that closely matches that, but in a smaller sprocket set.

As long as they fit the bike, then it will work

Name:  7437A59A-906A-41BA-B4DF-3FF70084A17D_zpseufnyiin.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  184.6 KB

James
Old 12-30-2013, 06:11 PM
gab
Squid

thks guys

btw i found that...
Honda 6mm Rear Shock Shim Spacer VTR 1000 Firestorm CBR 1100 XX Blackbird New | eBay
Old 12-31-2013, 12:11 AM
Superstock

CaryDG is on a distinguished road
gab, most hardware stores stock Body Shims in their Hillman or Crown fastener drawers. They come in several thicknesses and slot dimensions (3/8" work perfect)are pre-slotted and exactly the right width and length for the SH fitting. They are only $1.25 ea.! I found two that combined to make a 5.89mm thickness. Lift the rear of the tank , loosen the shock upper nut, jack up the bike slightly via the slip them in place between the cross member and the upper mount, torque it, and you're good to go.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:55 PM
mad skill collector
Squid

YOUNGJESTER is on a distinguished road
gab,
I run a 17F-16F/43R for some time now-it is slightly taller than stock but not much. I like it because its just so easy to change ratio's now, Slip off the 17, and replace with the 16 in the tank bag. - I have yet to see any drawback to this setup- weight is all I can come up with chain lasts longer just keep tension on the taught side or you'll risk chain whacking the cover..... Shim worked wonders as well- and your asking because of performance needs not rpm/economy I just thought I'd chime in about my experiance is all..
Old 01-09-2014, 08:34 PM
Deals Gap is a Hoot!
Back Marker

SIRR1 is on a distinguished road
Shorter wheel base

Simply raise the front forks in the triples in 1/2 inch increments till you find the desired ride you are looking for.

SIRR1
Old 01-10-2014, 06:21 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

1/2"!!! Most forks have engravings about 1/8" apart... I would try that first. 1/2" is quite a lot...

James