Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

shorter throttle turn

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 10:03 PM
SuperSport

jscobey is on a distinguished road
shorter throttle turn

are there any aftermarket throttles to get a shorter throttle turn for the VTR. im looking for maybe 1/2 turn to WOT compared to what i have now. i dont want 1/6 or anything nuts. just enough to be able to get to WOT comfortably

at the track, down the front straight, i litteraly had to let go of the throttle while pinching it with 3 fingers and quickly reposistion my hand to keep WOT going down the straight, all while shifting gears. PITA!

im wondering what you guys have done to get a shorter throw, or if there is any throttles with shorter throws that fit in the stock housing, if not is there anything i can do with a different housing and throttle to get a shorter throw?

any other bikes compatible? ive read that the RC throttle works but what is required to use this and how much shorter is the turn?

Last edited by jscobey; 04-03-2014 at 10:13 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:36 PM
SuperSport

after more research the RC45 tube fits right up. although supposedly its 1/4 (some say 1/5) turn. 1/4 seems good. 1/5 maybe too much, although i know Mik has a 1/6 and gets on.

think ill try my hand at the RC45 tube and see how that goes.

Thanks to myself for posting before researching enough, and then inevitably finding my own answers!
Old 04-03-2014, 11:31 PM
Back Marker

rick is on a distinguished road
Have you looked at the motion pro revolver kit?

If you only need to shorten it just enough to be able to go WOT without re-positioning your hand, you can use some epoxy and plastic mix to increase the diameter of your stock throttle tube. I think there is enough clearance in the housing to make it large enough for that. It is probably not worth the time though.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:58 AM
SuperSport

Is it just the RC45 throttle tube I need or the whole housing as well?
Old 04-04-2014, 04:47 AM
ole dirty bastard
SuperSport

hawxter996 is an unknown quantity at this point
Just the tube
Old 04-04-2014, 04:52 AM
SuperBike

scottiemann is on a distinguished road
In my case im running a complete 04-06 CBR1000RR front end and opted to use the CBR throttle tube, it is larger then stock although i dont know by how much(couldnt find my calipers when i was assembling), although that info could be easily obtained...

I havent had the chance of REALLY opening her up but so far my thoughts are this, in stop and go traffic it can be a bit twitchy, although ive only been riding with it for about a collective week so im sure ill get used to it. Everywhere else it feels great, quicker accel through the gears and when i wanna open it up for a quick burst of speed it does that with the quickness...
Old 04-04-2014, 08:54 AM
SuperSport

will any other throttle tubes do the trick? what about an RC51 tube? the RC45 tube is hard to find.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:16 AM
SuperBike

Ok... sorry its an 04-05 and its a 1/4 turn throttle i believe, alot of the cbr guys use r6 throttle tubes which i believe are 1/6 turn, however im also running a cbr housing cant gaurantee fit on the vtr but they are probably very easy to find for cheap
Old 04-04-2014, 09:18 AM
SuperBike

Wait scratch that, may be running the vtr housing now that i think about it, ill be home at 330 and ill verify for you
Old 04-04-2014, 09:34 AM
SuperSport

has anyone tried an R1 or R6 throttle tube? what years work? whats the turn made by those... 1/4, 1/5?

i ordered the rc45 from bikebandit, but they said its backordred so id rather cancel it in favor of something else that will work but so far i havnt heard anyone say that theyve used the R1 or R6, just that they think it will work. im sure and R6 tube is much easier to get than an RC45...
Old 04-04-2014, 09:55 AM
SuperBike

Are you not seeing my posts? The r6 is a 1/6 turn which you said you dont want r1 is 1/5 which im not sure about fitment... the cbr1000rr is a 1/4 which you will probably like and i can verify fitment in a couple hours
Old 04-04-2014, 10:04 AM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by scottiemann
Are you not seeing my posts? The r6 is a 1/6 turn which you said you dont want r1 is 1/5 which im not sure about fitment... the cbr1000rr is a 1/4 which you will probably like and i can verify fitment in a couple hours
sorry i was a little confused by your posts.

if the CBR1000 is 1/4 that sounds bout good, but i thought i read that it was the same as a VTR in terms of turn. i also havnt read of anyone else using it. seems like it would be much more common that an RC45 tube if it was a shorter turn. let me know if it fits and if it is a shorter turn.

if im gonna put in a new tube i want it to actualy do something. its not that i just want to be able to get to WOT without having to reposition my hand, its that i want to be able to do it comfortably without having my wrist cocked all weird. after reading more about the RC45 tube it sounds like what im after, but unfortuantly i ordered it and they told me its backorderd. hopefully it wont take long t=for them to get it.
Old 04-04-2014, 01:29 PM
SuperBike

i have an answer for you... and this tube comes from an 04-05 CBR1000RR

as far as i can tell the housing is identicle except for a little weep hole in between where the throttle cables come out.. they are different part numbers in the fiche however but I was actually mixing and matching the halves...

as for the tube itself, taking measurements with a caliper and comparing/contrasting by holding them up to eachother, the tubes are identicle except for the diameter where the cable wraps around...

as for the turn, the CBR is less then 1/4 turn, it may be a 1/5 (see pictures below)

CONFIRM CONFIRM CONFIRM!!!! 100% this tube will work

full close to full open, note silver sharpy at the end of the grip

shorter throttle turn-cam00175.jpg
shorter throttle turn-cam00176.jpg
Old 04-04-2014, 01:34 PM
SuperBike

lets try this again...

shorter throttle turn-cam00175.jpg
shorter throttle turn-cam00176.jpg
Old 04-04-2014, 01:50 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Luv my HRC (1/6th turn) tube (though it seems obvious there are less expensive options out there)....... teaches you good throttle control

Be aware that in order to get it to fit, you have to use up virtually ALL available slack from yoru cables. That being said, I have been running it this way for a few years now and never had any issues.......
Old 04-04-2014, 02:04 PM
SuperBike

i bet... and i also think your bike is legen...wait for it...

so after doing some research it seems that to get the R6 1/6 turn throttle to work there is just slight grinding to be done see this link R6 1/6-turn Throttle Tube Install - Lots of pics! : Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycle Forums: 1000RR.net

...dary
Old 04-04-2014, 02:17 PM
SuperBike

it also seems to be that the so called "1/4 turn" cbr throttles are in fact on our bikes more like 1/5 turn throttles so the R6 might act differently on our bikes...

this is probably due to various size throttle bodies and how far the butterflies open...
Old 04-04-2014, 03:47 PM
MotoGP

Here you go... HRC 1/6th turn throttle tube (new) for $40 shipped:

HRC 1/6 Turn RC51 Throttle Tubes - Page 7 - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

Thi is the chap I bought mine from (though IIRC I think I paid $60)

cheers

P.S. thanks for kind words
Old 04-04-2014, 06:21 PM
MotoGP

Here's an even better deal: look up "simonkobe" on Speedzilla, he is selling said HRC tubes for $25 plus shipping (est. at @ $5). He is a reliable seller as I have bought from him on a few occasions

Hope this helps
Old 04-04-2014, 10:38 PM
Squid

CrickiKaze is on a distinguished road
Pending where you are located you can get a new R1/R6 tube for under $20 from the dealer.
Keep in mind(at least on my GSXR) that the bigger the cam profile on the tube the more of a PITA it will be to mount the cables on it unless you disconnect the cables to the TB, and what was mentioned before you may need to modify the inside of the housing to get it to work.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:48 AM
SuperSport

i have an answer for you... and this tube comes from an 04-05 CBR1000RR

as far as i can tell the housing is identicle except for a little weep hole in between where the throttle cables come out.. they are different part numbers in the fiche however but I was actually mixing and matching the halves...

as for the tube itself, taking measurements with a caliper and comparing/contrasting by holding them up to eachother, the tubes are identicle except for the diameter where the cable wraps around...

as for the turn, the CBR is less then 1/4 turn, it may be a 1/5 (see pictures below)

CONFIRM CONFIRM CONFIRM!!!! 100% this tube will work

full close to full open, note silver sharpy at the end of the grip

Attachment 16855
Attachment 16856
cancelled my RC45 tube that is still backorderd and going for the CBR tube which im sure will be availbe right away. THANKS!!
Old 04-08-2014, 11:26 AM
Back Marker

Aquasnake is on a distinguished road
After having gone through different throttle tubes, (Motion Pro R1/R6, pvc'd stock tube), trying to find the right one for me, I have, for now, settled on a 2007 R6 stock tube, part number 2C0-26240-00-00. I'm not sure what the turn is but at 40.5mm diameter, it is the quickest one that I have used so far. Takes a bit of minor clearancing in the stock VTR housing but nothing that a Dremel or a bit of sandpaper wrapped around the R6 throttle reel can't accomplish quickly. Followed, of course, by a thorough cleaning and lubing of all the various parts. I'm quite satisfied with it for now, THOUGH..... for my personal preference, I'd actually like to try something even more aggressive in the future.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:40 PM
SuperSport

well i just put on the 05 CBR tube, but i think im gonna go for the R6 tube. the CBR tube didnt shorten the turn as much as i was looking for...

i dont think the CBR tube is 1/5 or even 1/4. its slightly less turn than the stock tube. but as im having my shock rebuilt right now ill have to wait till i get the shock back to test it out.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:12 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by mikstr
Here's an even better deal: look up "simonkobe" on Speedzilla, he is selling said HRC tubes for $25 plus shipping (est. at @ $5). He is a reliable seller as I have bought from him on a few occasions

Hope this helps
just purchased from him. the CBR tube is BARLEY any different than stock based on before and after pictures i took. maybe just maybeeeee he can get it to me before the track on the 26th
Old 04-15-2014, 05:58 AM
SuperSport

sailorjerry is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jscobey
just purchased from him. the CBR tube is BARLEY any different than stock based on before and after pictures i took. maybe just maybeeeee he can get it to me before the track on the 26th

Thanks for the thread on this, I ordered mine from simonkobe last night as well. Just another thing to add in this round of mods.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:05 AM
SuperSport

yea, well im sure the CBR tube is an improvment, lets say the stock tube is 1/3 turn. the CBR is less than 1/3 but not as small as 1/4 turn. IMO not enough to even notice. still puts my hand cocked al funny at WOT.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:39 AM
SuperBike

Hmmmm.... interesting... does the stock cbr turn match what my pictures show? Maybe the previous owner of my front end swapped tubes
Old 04-15-2014, 08:54 AM
SuperSport

Hmmmm.... interesting... does the stock cbr turn match what my pictures show? Maybe the previous owner of my front end swapped tubes
Yea it seems to match ur picture pretty spot on. I guess I didn't realize that even the before as in the stock tube is very similar to ur picture. I'm looking for maybe half of what is in ur picture. Anyway we will see with the HRC tube

What I'm wondering is does yours feel that different from the stocker?

Last edited by jscobey; 04-15-2014 at 08:58 AM.
Old 07-03-2021, 03:38 AM
Squid

IanB is on a distinguished road
Just a thought on the throttle tubes; every one I have seen has been linear, ie. x degrees of twist = y mm of cable pull. But throttle response is anything but linear - it feels like 1/2 the power comes with the first 1/4 of carb slide travel. As the stock handlebar throttle unit has plenty of space inside, it would be possible to make a throttle tube with an eccentric cable pulley. By timing it correctly, something like the first 50% of turn could open the carbs 25%, and the last 50% of turn could give the remaining 75% of carb slide travel. Cable length wouldn't be affected, it should just fit straight in.

This would then work much like a "pedal box" that can be fitted to modern cars.

Has anyone tried this?

Ian
Old 07-04-2021, 07:09 PM
Superstock

CaryDG is on a distinguished road
You can get the concentric type for many bikes, Suzuki SV1000 as an example, unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any out there for the VTR1000F. I tried a HRC quick turn tube on mine and it definitely opened the butterflies quicker. The down side is that it shut them quicker as well, making throttle modulation difficult, for my old *** anyways. I still have it if anyone out there needs a quicker throttle on their VTR. One of my Super Hawk buddies loves his, I just couldn't get used to it.

Quick Reply: shorter throttle turn