General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Second track day - Got to test my leathers

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 07:49 AM
SuperSport

98VTRrider is on a distinguished road
Second track day - Got to test my leathers

Haha, so my first track day was last friday at Summit main. Then Wed this week I went up to Thunderbolt raceway in NJ...First two sessions of the day were great, that track is awesome! The third session I asked a control rider to show me the lines a few laps, so he took me out with two people following me. The second lap I was coming out of a slow tight left, turn 5 I think, and I THINK that I came in hot and I was off the throttle through the begining of the turn then when transitioning into the throttle I may have grabbed a little too much too early while fully leaned over hanging off....rear tire spun and I was on my *** before I knew it...slid off the track over some gravel and into the grass...picked my bike up, it started fine, tires looked good, and rode back to the pits....The leathers did their job, I didn't have a scratch or bruise.

Luckily I was able to keep riding! My clutch lever was curled up and my shifter bent and half of the toe section broke off...I straightened them out and went through tech again, kept riding! yea!

So what it comes down to is I went there with a street bike I was taking to the track, and I came home with a track bike I can ride on the street hahaha.

if anyone has a shifter let me know! I'm trying to go to Nelson ledges next weekend.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:00 AM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
If $85 is in your budget, buy a shifter from Jamie Daugherty.

Glad to hear that the leathers did their job, and your bike wasn't hurt.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:04 AM
SuperSport

I'm trying to work rearsets into my budget, so I don't want to spend a lot on a shifter I will just replace again...
Old 09-24-2010, 09:38 AM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
Glad it wasn't serious. I'm doing my second track day tomorrow and I'm hoping for a good day. In the back of my mind I keep thinking im gonna crash. Damn mental problems on my end lol
Old 09-24-2010, 10:11 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
That's where the braced swingarm would have really helped you out.

Sorry to hear abouty our get off and hope you get everything back together quickly.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:31 AM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
glad your ok.

what tires were you on ?

tim
Old 09-24-2010, 12:03 PM
SuperSport

I'm on pretty fresh Power Pures, maybe 1000 miles on them. It was only the second lap when I went down, so they may not have been up to temp.

How would a braced swingarm have helped? The problem was rider error on my part, I don't think any parts would've kept me from going down.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:16 PM
Banned
MotoGP

Well once you have ridden a SH with one installed you will have a better idea of what I'm talking about.

The stock swingarm is about as stiff as some cooked pasta.... So when you are in a corner and spin up the rear, it tends to snap back straight and cause a lurch in the chassis which is what, more than likely, caused you to lowside.

With the brace installed, that flex is now gone. At that point spinning up the rear is pretty much a non-issue. You hear the motor rev and also the tire spinning but the chassis is completely stable. So the bike goes from being a handful when you break the rear loose to how big of a darkie do you want to leave exiting the corner.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:33 PM
SuperSport

Yea I was thinking about how it would help and thats exactly what I figured it would do...the swingarm flexed while the tire had grip, then when it lost grip the swingarm straightened out and the tire had no chance to get grip again...now I'm wondering if I should wait to get some more work done before going back
Old 09-24-2010, 12:44 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
Well once you have ridden a SH with one installed you will have a better idea of what I'm talking about.

The stock swingarm is about as stiff as some cooked pasta.... So when you are in a corner and spin up the rear, it tends to snap back straight and cause a lurch in the chassis which is what, more than likely, caused you to lowside.

With the brace installed, that flex is now gone. At that point spinning up the rear is pretty much a non-issue. You hear the motor rev and also the tire spinning but the chassis is completely stable. So the bike goes from being a handful when you break the rear loose to how big of a darkie do you want to leave exiting the corner.
Well... I'd say one more part is actually involved in that... The stock rear shock is abysmalic... With a more rigid swingarm it's even worse... But get the shock replaced and tuned in (F4i/Öhlins) and together with a rigid swingarm, and laying darkies is quite fun... It becomes a much more easily controlled bike when only things that should flex does, and more importantly only in the directions it should...

There are times though when you just snap the throttle too much, and then no parts in the world can save you from your own stupidity... Ask me how I know...
Old 09-24-2010, 12:49 PM
MotoGP

If I where you, I'd invest in a pair of T-rex framesliders, and a set of rearsets first... That keeps you from breaking important and expensive stuff when having fun... Then hit the track and practice...

And since it seems the one wrenching on that bike has mostly concentrated on the engine... Which is ***-backwards if you ask me, I'd consider a bit of upgrades to the chassi as a future investment... But that comes well into learning to ride that bike...

Either new springs/valves up front and an F4i or Öhlins shock in the back... Or go whole hog and swap the fork and swingarm... But start with the suspension...
Old 09-24-2010, 01:02 PM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
there is a nice Penske shock in the classified section.

tim
Old 09-24-2010, 01:03 PM
SuperSport

Yea frame sliders are the first thing on my list. Hopefully I don't go down again before I get them lol. Over the winter I plan on doing a CBR1000 front end conversion, and now planning to brace the swingarm...Is there a better swingarm that can swap in easily? I'm remembering reading you can swap the RC-51 swingarm in?
Old 09-24-2010, 01:09 PM
SuperSport

Oh here is a picture of the damage...Not too bad really, could've been much worse.

Second track day - Got to test my leathers-p9210939.jpg

Earlier in the day
Second track day - Got to test my leathers-p9210934.jpg
Old 09-24-2010, 01:23 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by 98VTRrider
Yea frame sliders are the first thing on my list. Hopefully I don't go down again before I get them lol. Over the winter I plan on doing a CBR1000 front end conversion, and now planning to brace the swingarm...Is there a better swingarm that can swap in easily? I'm remembering reading you can swap the RC-51 swingarm in?
Yes, you can swap in a RC51 swingarm... Click the image in my link to see the result... A quick search should turn up an old thread where I have posted most of the info needed...
Old 09-24-2010, 06:33 PM
Banned
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Tweety
Well... I'd say one more part is actually involved in that... The stock rear shock is abysmalic... With a more rigid swingarm it's even worse... But get the shock replaced and tuned in (F4i/Öhlins) and together with a rigid swingarm, and laying darkies is quite fun... It becomes a much more easily controlled bike when only things that should flex does, and more importantly only in the directions it should...

There are times though when you just snap the throttle too much, and then no parts in the world can save you from your own stupidity... Ask me how I know...
Very true..... Sorry that I was a bit too simplified with my response. I actually had forgotten how bad the stock shock was. I had mine reworked within 6 months of buying the bike, so that would make it early '98. Then with the new upgrade, no need to even thing about the rear anymore....
Old 09-24-2010, 09:18 PM
medium fast guy
Back Marker

trackdayhawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by uchi
Glad it wasn't serious. I'm doing my second track day tomorrow and I'm hoping for a good day. In the back of my mind I keep thinking im gonna crash. Damn mental problems on my end lol
Had the same problem years ago when I started doing track days. First time at Road America, Turn 5 was freaking me out, I'm gonna crash, I'm gonna crash. First session, first lap what do you think happened? I ran wide and into the gravel. I've gone thru that turn easily 15- 20 mph faster hundreds of times since then with no problems. Riding bikes fast is mostly mental, the bikes are capable, sometimes, we're not.

I see 2 choices for you, one, crash and get it over with, two, slow down to a comfortable pace and work your comfort level and speed up. Take time to learn the track, ride smooth, and find places where you can pick up the pace.
Old 09-25-2010, 07:13 PM
SuperBike

well my track day went good. i was bumped to intermediate by mid day, not too bad for my second track day as i was passing in novice like crazy and chasing guys through corners pretty hard. i worked on my posture, i was "kissing the mirror" and the bike felt fantastic. the rear set spacers worked great but i didnt get a knee down at all today. likely from the raised seat position and the raised rear sets. but i was much faster and much smoother than i was at my last track day. i did go off the track once. on the back straight im probably hitting 4th gear for a few seconds and then this corner is a high rpm second gear corner and i came in too hot, it was cold out, second lap, tires werent up to heat and the bike drifted wide and i stood it up and rode it off the track into the grass. managed to keep her up though. but i pushed a good pace so i was happy with myself. my slipping clutch gave me problems and let guys get past me on the main straight but other than that the bike worked great and i had a great time
Old 09-25-2010, 07:15 PM
SuperBike

also after doing some thinking i didnt push as hard as i could have. the cold air and overcast for most of the day didnt warm the track and im running on tires that are pretty crappy up the middle but have lots of side life so i think i kept thinking id have grip issues and didnt push nearly as hard as i could have. but ive got slicks now and tire warmers coming my way in the winter so ill be sure to get out on those and really push the pace

oh and i got some good vids of the day ill edit and get up in the next few days