General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Second gen stock bars

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 09:00 AM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
Second gen stock bars

Have been wanting to improve riding position since my first ride. Was going to do the VFR swap but missed out on all the good deals here, forgot to go back to bid on ebay or just put off by the too high price, and then couldn't justified the money for a set of VFR bars because they won't fit the fork swap in progress (didn't occur to me that I could easily sell them, duh). Until just recently I did not know that 2nd gen VTRs have different bars. Thought what the hell the price is low (thanks sailorjerry) I'll give them a try.
I have read that a small change in bar geometry is very noticeable, but hard to really understand until you experience it. The bike has a completely different feel now. Much more confidence inspiring. Better feel of the front end, less vibration and a much more solid feel overall. No idea that such a small change would make such a large improvement. I'm sure that YMMV as my riding position and body dimensions would be different from someone else. Very, very pleased with the results. I really want to try some VFR bars now.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:58 AM
Superstock

cybercarl is on a distinguished road
I run the later bars too and like you say hard to understand. It seem small amounts of degree changes can make a vast difference on motorcycles.

Personally I wouldn't bother with VFR bars. IMO that's a step too far away from the sport feel and style, plus it compromises the fairing. Yes there is more comfort being more upright but for me the next step would be Apex bars if only I could justify the price. That gives one the best of both worlds then with positioning them with whatever works for the riding style ones doing at the time.

For now I am more than happy with the later VTR clip on's and there's the added bonus of them being fast Black LOL. IIRC there is 7 degrees more rise with them. Combine that with a HRC quick action throttle tube and your laughing, no more wrist strain.

There's quite a lot of subtle differences between the early and late models. Only the other day I discovered that the later model (Black) top yoke sits slightly higher over the headstock adjuster rings, allowing one access with a hammer and flat blade screwdriver to fine tune bearing adjustment if needs be. On the early model top yokes there is a recess cut into the base so it sits further down and over the rings more. This means having to loosen the clip on's, top yoke etc and then tap the yoke up a bit to gain access. The thickness of the yokes are the same but because the later one is cut more flush underneath and the early ones are recessed, the later one's appear to sit slightly higher. This suggests to me that it's going to also have a slight affect on handling/rake and trail or at least may affect the amount one drops their forks if fine tuning suspension set up.

(:-})
Old 10-24-2014, 12:42 PM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
Would have gone with Apex or Converti but the price just too much since I plan on changing the forks sometime in the near future (just need the spare funds for a proper tune and service on the USD forks and I'm ready to install). That maybe my option after I get the USD forks on. Depends on if I can live with the bars that I will be using (cbr954), I'm thinking not, but just a guess for now.
Thanks for the thoughts on VFR bars. On that advice I'll stick with the gen 2 till swap time.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:19 PM
SuperSport

jerryh is on a distinguished road
Hey I cut the nubs off my '03 bars and rotated them out a bit. Drops your chest closer to the tank (I like that) and helps with the wrists. Read that tip on this forum somewhere