General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Seat Cowl Removal Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 06:35 PM
Squid

tomb393 is on a distinguished road
Seat Cowl Removal Problem

I bought an upgraded rectifier and am having an issue removing the cowl to get access to remove/install the rectifier. One of the collars that the bolt screws into (near the battery) spins in the sub frame when I try to unscrew the bolt.
Does anyone have any suggestions how I can secure the collar while unscrewing the bolt without damaging the cowl?
The collar (#22 in the link) is the item in question.
Thanks guys!
Old 08-09-2013, 06:40 PM
Superstock

KCCO is on a distinguished road
No link. Impact drivers sometime work, once the link is up we can help more
Old 08-09-2013, 06:50 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
I had that problem a long time ago and simply got fed up and drilled a very small hole in the top bar of the subframe so I could hold onto the spinning collar with a small flat blade screwdriver. Worked for me. I normally don't go around drilling random holes in things but it's not like anyone can see it...
Old 08-09-2013, 06:59 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by tomb393
I bought an upgraded rectifier and am having an issue removing the cowl to get access to remove/install the rectifier. One of the collars that the bolt screws into (near the battery) spins in the sub frame when I try to unscrew the bolt.
Does anyone have any suggestions how I can secure the collar while unscrewing the bolt without damaging the cowl?
The collar (#22 in the link) is the item in question.
Thanks guys!
Last time that happened to me, I drilled out the bolt head/ cut with carbide burr... once the cowl is off, you can grab the threaded insert and unscrew the rest of the fastener..

I tacked the blind hole threaded insert in place and touched up with silver paint, so it would not be an issue again.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:24 PM
Squid

Here is the missing link. Part #22 is the collar in question.

Honda VTR1000FW 1998 SUPER HAWK SEAT/REAR COWL - Original Honda Parts | Lings Honda

Those both seem like viable options and confirm what I suspected that there is no easy fix without removing some metal. So far the last idea sounds like a little project that I won't regret....especially tacking it in place. Thanks for the feedback!
Old 08-09-2013, 11:12 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by tomb393
Here is the missing link. Part #22 is the collar in question.

Honda VTR1000FW 1998 SUPER HAWK SEAT/REAR COWL - Original Honda Parts | Lings Honda

Those both seem like viable options and confirm what I suspected that there is no easy fix without removing some metal. So far the last idea sounds like a little project that I won't regret....especially tacking it in place. Thanks for the feedback!
Uhm... Nope... You are way off there... #22 is indeed a metal collar, sitting in a rubber grommet, and it really, really should spin on the bolt since it's not fastened at all... What is spinning is the blind threaded insert into the subframe hidden behind it... That has no partno...
Old 08-09-2013, 11:20 PM
Superstock

KCCO is on a distinguished road
Whoops, just noticed this is in forum feedback. Admin, should this be moved? Hate to point out the mistake. On the topic of the post, I would try using an air tool if you have one, or drill out the center of the screw and try to bend out the threads. Then clean up the threads in the subframe and use a new bolt.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:19 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
I'm with ya on that Mr. Chive. That has worked for me several times. A high speed drill or a pneumatic powered tool will sometimes spin it right out. Pull the trigger in short bursts and you might get lucky. If that doesn't work, then you are just back at square one. Worth a shot.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:53 AM
Squid

Sorry, I guess this was not posted in the proper place. Anyway. I wanted to thank you guys for the suggestions. I finally had time to tackle this issue. I didn't get lucky with the pneumatic wrench but the drill / burr method worked great. I don't have any welding experience so and am gonna try a little JB Weld to hold the insert in place before I screw in the new bolt. I really appreciate the suggestions!