General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

rotor talk

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 05:21 AM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
rotor talk

im gonna need some rotors for ther wheels i bought from noob, super guy btw, money isnt free flowing so i may just use the ones on my bike and keep swapping them over for track days for the time being, but eventually id like to get my hands on some that i can leave on there. whats a decent set of used stock rotors worth? ive been scouring ebay and im not sure if id like to test my luck buying aftermarkets through there incase theyre knock offs or something. also i cant remember who it was but they mentioned something about iron rotors, cant find any info on that so maybe he'll chime in a little when he sees this

i just wanna make sure i dont overpay for rotors and also that i dont buy something from a company that makes crap if i do end up buying aftermarket. i know were limited to what we can use for our bikes and during my ebay travels i could have sworn it said that rotors for our bikes were also the same rotors a cbr 600 used and one or two other bikes but i cant be for sure. any info on that? i did a quick search but im tired and sore from yesterdays track day so im in easy mode today still lol
Old 09-26-2010, 05:23 AM
SuperBike

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Front...mZ390244818813

prime example here. cheap rotors, not sure if these are good, but theyre listed to fit several other bikes. now i dont know if id trust my life with a 150 dollar pair of rotors when you see galfers going for like 500+ and really at the speeds we can hit at some local tracks i really wouldnt want to trust my life with these.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:21 AM
Destructive Tester
Superstock

bjorn toulouse is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by uchi

Think about it.......much of the stuff coming from China these days is pretty to look at but fails to perform in a "real world" application.
The quality of the materials used in the products can vary dramatically, as can the workmanship.

The rotors in the link (and I think the price is for one rotor, not a pair) may be of excellent quality but I'll be dammmmnnned if I'm going to spend any of my money to find out!

Brakes are, to my way of thinking, the most important system on a motorcycle! It is not an area to use less than known good quality components! I think this is even more important if you are going to the track.

Just my $.02 US

Rex

Last edited by bjorn toulouse; 09-26-2010 at 07:25 AM. Reason: speeelage
Old 09-26-2010, 07:22 AM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
Amazing prices for motorcycle rotors isn't it? Not like these things are super-engineered or require clean room manufacturing. I can get get rotors for my truck all day at less than 200 bux for the pair but motorcycle rotors, that won't even buy one. That being said Uchi, I don't think I'd want to trust my life to the cheap ones either. If it should heat up and disintegrate the results would be disastrous. Maybe that's why good rotors cost so much?
Old 09-26-2010, 10:43 AM
SuperBike

oh i agree, i wasnt going to buy those i was just pointing out the cheap no name crap ebay has and i think i mentioned above i wouldnt trust my life on cheap rotors. that being said whats a good set of used or new stockers worth to buy? also that link was there because its claiming that you can use the same rotors off a half dozen different bikes and i wanted to varify that was the case just so that it gives me more options when it comes time to buy rotors

but trust me i wouldnt buy cheap brakes not for the bike, not when yesterday i was hitting 120 mph or just over on the main straight and the corner is taken at the top of second bottom of third, lol
Old 09-26-2010, 11:48 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
oh i agree, i wasnt going to buy those i was just pointing out the cheap no name crap ebay has and i think i mentioned above i wouldnt trust my life on cheap rotors. that being said whats a good set of used or new stockers worth to buy? also that link was there because its claiming that you can use the same rotors off a half dozen different bikes and i wanted to varify that was the case just so that it gives me more options when it comes time to buy rotors

but trust me i wouldnt buy cheap brakes not for the bike, not when yesterday i was hitting 120 mph or just over on the main straight and the corner is taken at the top of second bottom of third, lol
The rotors do fit the CBR's in the list... Can't verify any of the others...
Old 09-26-2010, 01:08 PM
Destructive Tester
Superstock

bjorn toulouse is on a distinguished road
One way to verify different OEM fitments is by going to the upper tier aftermarket sites and look through the listings.......

Looking for lever interchange? Go to Pazzo's and see which Hondas use the same part numbers as the SH.

Looking for rotor interchange? Go to Galfer, or EBC, or Brembo and see which Hondas use the same part numbers as the SH.

The info is out there.

Rex
Old 09-26-2010, 01:16 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by bjorn toulouse
One way to verify different OEM fitments is by going to the upper tier aftermarket sites and look through the listings.......

Looking for lever interchange? Go to Pazzo's and see which Hondas use the same part numbers as the SH.

Looking for rotor interchange? Go to Galfer, or EBC, or Brembo and see which Hondas use the same part numbers as the SH.

The info is out there.

Rex
+1 THat is precisely how I did it. If you do a Google search you can find an earlier EBC catalogue (@2006) which has a section listing the important data (diameter, bolt circle, offset) for all late model sportbikes...
Old 09-26-2010, 01:31 PM
SuperBike

perfect, good info thanks, ill have to do some digging around when im ready
Old 09-28-2010, 02:04 PM
SuperBike

well it looks like things worked out, a guy on here put a set of ebc 320s up for sale with brackets and i picked them up
Old 09-28-2010, 03:08 PM
MotoGP

welcome to my world
Old 09-28-2010, 03:10 PM
SuperBike

i cant wait to get these on and get tossed over the bars

how much of a difference did you notice with these on the bike? think ill still need a brembo?
Old 09-28-2010, 05:37 PM
MotoGP

They work very well, but it has been so long since my brakes were stock I can hardly even remember (besides, the previous set-up I had, worked about as well using stock rotors)
Old 09-28-2010, 06:35 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
i cant wait to get these on and get tossed over the bars

how much of a difference did you notice with these on the bike? think ill still need a brembo?
Well the 320s do make a huge difference but...... you will also find out how much the stock forks flex( well actually IMHO how much the lower triple clamp flexes..... Ever seen a 600F4 put the front wheel into the fairing under braking? Well The SH has the same lower clamp).

So while you will notice a big difference, it won't be quite the same as a bike with an upgraded front end and the 320s.

You do have a fork brace on there right, you will really need one with those rotors and also you might want to go up .5 on the recommended fork springs ( i.e. if they say to use .95s run a set of 1.0s) if you haven't changed them out yet .

Last edited by 8541Hawk; 09-28-2010 at 06:37 PM.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:54 PM
SuperBike

fork brace is being built this winter unless the guy on here makes a batch at which point ill buy one

also ive got racetech springs and theyre set for someone heavier than me so ill turn them up a little.

now just to find a new set of pads, im debating using the hh pads again but two track days and about 4000 km of street riding has just about finished them off. so now im not sure, do i go with the same pad or do i use something more aggressive and really take advantage of the bigger brakes.

all i know is i cant wait to get these on
Old 09-28-2010, 07:12 PM
MotoGP

Vesrah RJL: affordable and work extremely well (do a search on the Speedzilla site and you'll see they are rated VERY highly)...
Old 09-28-2010, 09:15 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough

That is what I am using now. They are almost as good as the HRC pads at half the cost.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:46 AM
SuperBike

nice, how are they compared to the ebc hh pads?
Old 09-29-2010, 07:43 AM
Superstock

t-dogg is on a distinguished road
Hey uchi. I used those rotors with gsxr 1000 calipers and they worked very well. Actually pulled some stoppies a few times. I had to make an adapter to mount the 1000 calipers on there but the adapters I made wouldnt let the calipers reach all the way in on the rotors. I had to do some light sanding on the rotors because of the little rust ring it formed. Im not 100% sure that your calipers are gonna bolt right up with those adapters, but I think they will be very close. You might need to grind off a bit of material on the adapters so the calipers wont hit the inner wheel.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:58 AM
SuperBike

No problem I have no issues with doing a little grinding. My calipers bolted right up tommy forks so is imagine they're gonna be close or spot on. :-)
Old 09-29-2010, 09:02 AM
SuperBike

Did you modify the original spacers or did you just add to them?