General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Reason you bought a Superhawk.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 03:34 AM
Squid

zimm is on a distinguished road
In 1997 I got my first bike, a 88 hawk GT650. Then I saw a superhawk in the showroom AND it got 1997 sportbike of the year from the magazines. After a year or so of learning the GT, I moved on up.

Now I've kept it for 9 years because no japanese twin so far has been enough of an improvement to move up. Oh and a new 1000cc I-4 would cost 1/3 the price of the bike ($3000+) yearly to insure here in VA beach for a 31 year old accident free me. I guess the young navy guys toss them off the roads for fun around here.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:07 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Got back into cycling after a 15 yr. hiatus. (What was I thinking!?) Anyway, ran a Katana 600 for 4 yrs. After 45k miles it was ragged out, so time to replace.
I wanted about 100hp & to spend close to $4k. Was watching eBay for F4s, F4is, TLs & Super Hawks. While riding by a local mall on the Katana, I spied a SH in the lot. A guy was teaching his friend to ride. We struck up a conversation; told him I was really interested in a SH. I was surprised when he offered to let me ride it! SOLD! Found one on eBay. Drove up to Pittsburgh from Richmond, VA to pick it up 2 & a half yrs. ago.
Never regretted it! Engine is great. Sounds cool w/ the Jardines I got for Christmas this year. It's a blast to ride in the mountains.
Old 03-17-2007, 05:21 AM
Superstock

Anto is on a distinguished road
Becuase mine was cheap

62k miles, but it was maintained.

Also came with goodies
Old 03-18-2007, 07:18 PM
Back Marker

saxman is on a distinguished road
Mine was cheap........

It is a V-twin............

It is a Honda............

Many other reasons, but not gonna
Old 03-18-2007, 07:45 PM
Back Marker

GeMs is on a distinguished road
At first I wanted to purchase a 919. I was saving up and was ready to put a down payment on one. Naked bikes always were appealing to me. So a couple weeks before hand I was driving down one of the main roads in my town past a little foreign car shop and I saw this yellow bike sitting in parking lot. I was riding a '84 GL500 at the time and I was ready for an upgrade. Curious, I pulled in and asked the owner what kind of bike it was, the fairings and tail section were just yellow with no decals. He told me it was a Honda Superhawk and asked if I wanted to hear it run, and of course I was like hell ya. He started it up, it made music to my ears.. and with only 1200 miles and a $3500 price tag I was sold! Bought it 3 days later.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:24 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
I wanted to buy another bike since my ZX-9 spitted a rod and caught fire, so went to Lajeunesse (they really suck) dealer north of Montreal and showed quite an interest to This weird black V-twin, it was cheap powerfull but, How that thing sounds ?? The seller took me to the shop and fired up a fully mufflered RC-51, I was hooked like a crackwhore, came back the next day and laid down the money. The dealer told me to go easy the first 1000 miles, ya right ... First thing I did on the highway 440 was to rip trough all the gears all the way to the redline several times, god it felt like a rebirth.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:00 PM
Back Marker

fundgh is on a distinguished road
I was looking to upgrade from the Seca2. I like naked, half faired, and some fully faired bikes, and the SV650 got my interest. They were far too popular for me to be happy, and all of the repli racers were too uncomfortable. I sat on a SHawk at a dealership and it felt really good. I thought it might sound and feel like a Ducati or something, but when I rode an Aprilia Mille, I knew the SHawk would be the bike for me. The Mille sounded and felt like a dream, but with far too agressive of a riding position for me. I knew that I did not want to settle on anything less than 996 cc. So that left me with a Monster 900 or 1000, a Tuono, TLS, or the Superhawk. The Super Hawk had the Honda reliability going for it, and the least expensive used sticker price, so that was it. I never heard one or rode one befor I bought, but I was sold. THe rest was icing!
Old 03-21-2007, 06:45 PM
Squid

SD996 is on a distinguished road
I guess it's the same for most SH owners...I love the V-twin power and sound. Also, it's nice to have a sport bike that you can ride all day and still be fairly comfortable. My last bike was a 96 Duc 900ss with a ton of mods. I loved that bike but had to let her go. As everyone knows, the maintenance schedule and costs of Ducs is nuts and Honda's speak for themselves. I saw my 03 SH at a local dealer with low miles and couldn't resist. I've put about 4000 miles of S. California canyons on her and I'm thoroughly impressed!
Old 03-21-2007, 09:35 PM
Señor Miembro, Ay Caramba
SuperSport

Scooberhawk is on a distinguished road
My first 3 years were on a Hawk GT with a Muzzy exhaust. I love torque, turns, uniqueness, and v-twin rumble. The only thing that bugged me about the GT was that once I got 0-100 in 5 seconds, I had run out of gears. Luckily, a weld busted in the gas tank, and I didn't want to fix it. The dealer took a loss on an '05 to get it out of the showroom, as well as hooked me up with super cheap insurance. SOLD!
Old 03-22-2007, 12:00 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by saxman
Mine was cheap........

It is a V-twin............

It is a Honda............

Many other reasons, but not gonna
Hey, me too, exactly.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:20 PM
Back Marker

thegreep
It was about 70% looks, and 30% sound. My previous bike was an '84 Interceptor, and I decided that my next bike would be partial fairring also, made the bike look more gruff. then I heard one that had been piped and I fell in love. . .
Old 03-23-2007, 03:39 PM
Superstock

HRCVTR1000 is on a distinguished road
After riding a 85 vf1000r for many years , I wanted something a little more modern to ride with my friends who all have newer bikes. I decided I wanted something a little more nimble than the 500 + lbs Interceptor . I started looking at 600s . After looking at a dozen or so dogged out , crashed up beaters (and after riding a few I wasnt really impressed with having to rev the **** out of em ). I found a completely stock 99 Blk Superhawk with 5500 miles for $4500 about an hour away . So I went to check it out. Went for a test ride and I knew this was the bike for me ! The Torque , The Sound & it was even the right color . I had to go with the previous owner to the bank the next day and pay his $4000 lien off to get the title . And thats all I payed for it . He just wanted out of the payment ( worked out good for me ) Now the bike has 9000 miles on it and loving every mile of it !
Old 03-23-2007, 09:19 PM
Superstock

johnnyhonda is on a distinguished road
I wasn't even looking for a bike at the time. I went to the Dealership to pick up parts for my Yammaha Virago 750 when I saw this shiny red motorcycle sitting in the corner all by it's self. So I thought let's go check it out. When I got over to the bike a tall young sailsman walked over to me and told me that it was a left over from last year and that he'd sell it to me cheap. I could hear it calling my name so long story short I ended up walking out of there with it.

I absolutly love my Hawk. All these years, the wheelies, the recks, my Hawk has been good to me. With everything I've done on it and it still wants more.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:01 PM
Squid

Daywalker
I've liked twins for a long time. My 1st bike was an 86 500 Shadow, then an 86 700 shadow, then I rode my friends RZ 350. Decided to go get a sport(ier) bike. Loved old Buells' X1 lightening. Didn't want to buy someone elses headaches. Loved the Ducatis, not enough money. Found the superhawk in red and once I rode it and talked to the seller, who had taken good care of it I bought it. Almost 2 years an 1 wreck (1st in 10 years) later I still love mine.

Bmc filter,Jardine high mount pipes, down a tooth up front, said he had bigger carbs in it. don't know if thats true though.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:12 PM
Squid

OrionKeynes is on a distinguished road
Always wanted a vtwin but the italians were always soo expensive. This Bike (the one in my av), was the right price and the most emaculate example of the bike for it's age that I had ever seen. These Staintune pipes are to die for and turn plenty of heads. People still ask me if it's new, and I always get raised eyebrows when I tell them it is 10 years old. This is my first big bike (tooled around on an 83 CBR400 that I did a massive custom job on previously). My daily ride is about 160km round trip and apart from the fuel, this bike (once I get the bars raised) has me smilling all the way
Old 04-20-2007, 06:49 AM
Squid

macd218 is an unknown quantity at this point
My first v-twin experience was a friends TL100S. Every since then I told myself my next bike would be a v-twin. Loved the power!!!!! A few months later another mutual friend got a SHAWK and i rode that. After that my mind was made up. It was so comfy compared to the TL'S and i saw what it can do so i was sold. Bought it in 2005 as a 2003 left over. $6000 out the door!!!! Pan on keeping this one for ever. Not saying i wont get another bike, just wont let this one go.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:00 AM
Squid

rideawn is on a distinguished road
I change bikes about every 15 months it seems. I had a twin, SV, a couple of bikes ago and missed it. A friend just got a 1098 and so I got on my twin trip again. I was looking at another SV but it just wasn't completely doing it for me. Can't afford a Duc and TL is ugly (IMHO). I happened upon a used ad for a Superhawk and realized I had forgotten about the bird. I was hooked. Style, performance, weight, and a twin. I started my search and found my bird. '98, 4k miles, showroom condition, 1st owner bought new in '02. Needed a carb clean and it was on it's way. Set me back only $3700, low book was $4400. Insurance is only $800/yr almost fully loaded. Can't believe this bike was $9k in '98 and solid technology (& still is). Seems like the total package so far. I'm telling myself I'll keep this one for awhile ... we'll see in about 15 mos and many miles.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:40 AM
Josh
Superstock

viperkillertt
There isnt anything like a Superhawk!!! They are the sweeetest sounding bike i have ever heard. I didnt know what they were, but when i saw it and heard it, i knew i had to have it. I was also checking out a sv650, but nothing like the hawk. I bought it and even though it was not in great condition when i got it, i have fixed everything and OMG, i love her. I cant imagine owning another bike. I hate the twangy sound of most sport bikes. The hawk is just perfect!
Old 04-20-2007, 07:04 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Well, I guess I'll join in on this one. I would almost feel left out otherwise.

The year: 1998. The month: June. The place: Charleston, SC.

Current bike: 1994 Honda CBR1000F, 32000 miles, great GT sportbike but heeeeaaavy, and the first gen linked brakes just sucked ***.

I had gone on my first trip to Deals Gap on the CBR. Had a great time but realized that this is NOT the bike to go quickly through 318 curves in 11 miles. Talk about arm pump, wow! The front tire got absolutely thrashed in 2 runs of the Dragon. The bike, BTW, weighs about 600lbs wet. There's got to be something better....

Back to Charleston then, and after discussing the situation with the wife we decided it was time to get something else. To the magazines then! I really liked the looks of the T595 and it had great reviews (short of the FI glitches), brand new for '98 too, IIRC. I test rode one. Died 3 times on the ride and cooked my right leg to about medium-well. Nope. Not this one. Next. Yamaha R1? Test rode a buddy's. Sat too much ON the bike and it was just too focused for me. Too much of a transition from the CBR. Next. Hmmm, Honda Superhawk. 1998 Bike of the Year, light, agile, skinny waist, red, TORQUE! Woohoo! I test rode one with D&D pipes. I dunno what the dealer was thinking but the hard-on lasted longer than the headache so I was hooked. The dealer that allowed the test ride wouldn't work with me so I headed to another dealer in Summerville. Got a great trade-in on the CBR and walked out for a litte under $3500 with some free accessories.

The rest is history, folks. I started collecting cool bike parts and making it a better bike. Did some track days. Lots of long trips. A little commuting. A website. Some dyno time. Seat, exhaust, jet kit, shock, fork work, other odds and ends here and there and now my masterpiece is where it is.

After a very long New York winter I went for the maiden spring ride with her today. Got the Qualifiers warm and the engine's blood circulating again. She ran well, and just like the 40000 miles before she still hasn't let me down. new Mori single exhaust sounds great too! I may take the mains one step smaller but there's minimal soot on the pipe so I may just stay with what I have.

Before I bought the Superhawk riding was just fun. This motorcycle has spawned a passion for riding that will last forever. I will never sell this bike. It is a part of me as much as I am a part of it.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:55 PM
Squid

firestorm'n is on a distinguished road
My first bike was a 96 zx6e ninja back in 2000. A few months later I test drove the hawk. I knew then that the twin was what I really wanted. The next april before I had renewed my insurance, a truck turning left took me out.Well after two more years of paying that bike off, I only had to wait another four years before i could afford another bike. Last march was it!
I told my wife I'm getting a bike. Looked for one day. Found the black one I wanted only better. Custom black/gold fade. D&D's K&N. I will NEVER sell this bike!!! After it's paid off I'll look into adding the rc51 or maybe the new hawk if they ever make one. Happy Riding
Old 04-26-2007, 03:41 PM
Squid

colohawk is on a distinguished road
Talking A Japanese bike with soul!

I have to agree with everyone here on this one. I've owned my SH for about a month now. I was dead set on either the Duc Monster 1000S2R or the MV Augusta Brutale when considering my purchase. Just to convince myself that it was "worth" the extra $8-10K, I drove the used '02 Hawk that I now own.

Initially, I was thinking of it as a short term purchase until I could afford the Italian pedigree (plus mods). But in the last month, the bike has convinced me that a scooter doesn't need to have an Italian or Domestic bloodline to have a soul.

So now, I'm in for about $2K in mods on top of the purchase price and I'm still half the price of the other bikes I considered. Kudos to Honda.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:06 PM
Squid

JesseW.
i had a 94 katana 600 that i had bought cheap and fixed up nice, had about $1600 total in it, looked nice, but still a turd. Saw the 98 shawk online for $4900 with 30,000 miles but a mile long of upgrades. i didn't knwo much about them but i started e-mailing the guy and got him to come down to $3100 cause he had to move cross-country in a week. Went to meet him on it and couldn't believe it. it was in immaculate shape for 30,000 miles, penske, racetech,carbon yoshi's, ss lines, sargent seat, soft bags, cover and more. I test rode it, loved it compared to the kanatuna and bought it for 3100. sold the katana for $2600 a week later.
Old 04-27-2007, 04:54 AM
Superstock

SH1000MA is on a distinguished road
I bought it off my friend for 3k w/30,000 to help him with his small buisness. I was in the market for a bike and i knew i wanted a sports bike and he heard that and was like you want to buy my bike? I always asked him if i could ride it and he was like no because i never seen you ride a bike before. Told him i had taken an ON/OFF road course in the military. Still said no, but then when i got on it for the first time as an owner i was an instant addict. That was last october and the bike had leaking fork seals, and smoke tires and a shitty battery. Fixed all that and the bike now drives like a dream.
Old 04-29-2007, 05:44 PM
Squid

bluedog66 is on a distinguished road
Got the best compliment from a guy on an R6 yesterday that was one of a few people following me on a canyon ride. "I had to stay a few gears low just so I could keep up with you when you took off from the turns!"

And that, among other reasons, is why I bought a Superhawk

However he did manage to pass me on this straight section. Said he got to 150... yea, he was kind of squidly
Old 04-30-2007, 08:33 AM
Squid

quakefiend420 is on a distinguished road
vtwin, reliable, not too agressive riding position, good price, vtwin

did i mention torque? :P
Old 04-30-2007, 09:16 AM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
I've been on bikes forever, get a new one every few years or so. The last time I went to look for a new one was the spring of 05. The wife came with me simply because she was bored. I was looking at the new R1's and she pulled me over to the Honda section to look at the hawk. It was a brand new 03 that had just never sold. She told me I had to buy it because she liked the candy blue.

I had been going back and forth on what to get for months. I had honestly never even looked into the vtr's. An RC51 was on my list because I've always loved twins, but they didn't have one. So I figured why not, the wife liking the color is a good a reason as any. Turns out the bike is a lot cooler than I expected, so I think it's a keeper.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:39 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

supermarto is on a distinguished road
What's NOT to love?...

V-TWINS FOR LIFE.

I fantasized about bikes since I was knee high to a grasshopper. But I was forbidden by my dad, who was a cop, to ever swing a leg over ANYTHING with two wheels (in his defense he did let me race karts, and was my biggest fan and pit tech!). I was almost 30 when my good buddy Curt Nicholson, a life-long rider (his grandparents were documented in old books about cycles aboard his grandpa's 1930's Indian, riding to California from Illinois, b&w photos of his grandma riding side-saddle in the pillion... that's how HE grew up, the lucky bast@rd) says "Hey man, you ever ride a motorcycle before?" and takes me outside where he lifts the cover off of both of his bikes; a 1989 Honda Transalp and a '98 Super Hawk. He then hands me the keys to the Transalp, and off we went. Later that day, I bought that Transalp (a Paris Dakar wannabe with almost the same motor as a Hawk GT) off of him. Thats the back story...

I rode the Transalp for a couple of months, and once I was primed up and had the confidence, I took out his Supe for a test ride... and swore that was my next bike. A couple years later, I am the proud owner of a red '02 that I ride almost every single day, and I love it more and smile wider each time I pull back into the garage after my 1 hour commute from work. I will probably never sell it, either. I am going to try and keep it in the best condition I can for as long as I can, hopefully for decades. If the Transalp is any indication of the longevity of Honda craftsmanship (I still have her with over a hundred thou on the odo and showing no signs of slowing) it should not be a problem. Pipe dream? We'll see, but damn I love the Super Hawk.

Curt replaced the 'Alp with an XR 650L (another proven, bulletproof Honda product) and he still rides his '98 Supe as well. We are both in agreement about keeping them forever (although I am probably going to add the new liquid cooled Buell 1125 to my stable one day. I will still keep the Supe though, even if I have to brick her up in a wall like the Traub!)

Last edited by supermarto; 09-07-2007 at 09:43 PM.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:07 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
My favorite previous bike, except maybe the '83 Interceptor I still have, was my '73 black and gold Norton Commando. I still think it is about the finest looking bike ever made. With the flat black Dunstall exhausts, mine sounded like a WWII fighter plane coming down the street.

But what I liked best about the Norton, compared to the Jap bikes I'd had, was the powerband. Reostat grunt power from idle to redline.

Reading about the VTR in the motomags I realized it had the same powerband as the Norton but with 50% or 60% more power everywhere. I figurerd with the right cans it would sound as good too.

I didn't want to spend the money back then, but when I decided I wanted another bike 2 and 1/2 years ago and found a new/leftover VTR for sixty-two hundred and change, I had to buy it. I love riding the thing. I'll buy more bikes as I can afford to but doubt I'll ever sell the VTR.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:33 AM
rnb
Back Marker

rnb is on a distinguished road
my brother lent me his to ride while my goldwing was broken. fell in love with it and had to have myown. fixed the wing, sold it and bought my hawk on ebay. never looked back.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:43 AM
Squid

mclovin is on a distinguished road
i rode my buddys and have rode other bikes. the superhawk was incredibly easy to drive!

Quick Reply: Reason you bought a Superhawk.