General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Reason you bought a Superhawk.

Old 03-14-2007, 01:35 PM
Squid

GreyBeard
Reason you bought a Superhawk.

For me it was the sound of a v-twin. I was at a gas station on Afton mountain, Va. (Pittsburgh to Richmond, ridden it at least 20 times, round trip) when a Hawk GT with after market pipes rode by. Man it sounded sweet. A few months later, the Superhawk photos appeared in a moto mag; it would be an early '98 model, available in spring '97. The moment I saw those photos I new I was going to buy one. Picked it up in may '97, hope I never have to sell it. All the "for sale" postings postings made me think of this. This bike will be rare in a few years, with a cult following like the Hawk GT. Long live the Superhawk.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:49 PM
Superstock

Zedicus is on a distinguished road
well theres no honda dealer close to me. it was the only honda sport bike to come up for sale in this town for quite a while. mine was actually from a different state that just kinda happened to float though a used auto dealer here in town. actually now that i have it i do enjoy the v-twin rumble and the fact that its kinda a unique bike in world of same-ness. but it was mere chance that landed it in my posetion.

dont tell anyone but im actually an I4 guy. (or was before i had ever seen a v-twin sport bike in person). this bike was at a dealer for about one day when i saw it an it fit the bill of what i was looking for at the time. (was 1. a honda. and 2. a sport bike) i really didnt even know a creature like this exhisted untill i pulled up next to it. the guy fired it up and my first reactions was seriously 'WHAT THE F**K IS THAT!' as it burbled to life and i instinctivly looked around for a harlye to go by. after checking the bike and making sure the noise was actually coming from it my second reaction was 'slap sold on that thing lemme run to the bank.'

now back to the I4 love, i would still love to hav a new 600RR as i think they look cool and i love the high RPM whine. but i wouldnt trade in the trusty ol hawk to get one and i must say its definatly a new love. maybe if i ever get my GF comfortable on a high HP bike i can get her the 600rr and then i can just play on whichever one i want to that day.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:55 PM
Back Marker

senecagreen
The SV1000S is probably a little quicker but not the same look or riding position. Aprilla Tuono is probably more fun, better riding position, but not the same look. Ducati 1098 has the look and the character but 14k. RC51? I don't know. My Superhawk was the right price, has great character, and is really punchy. Great fun and fairly comfortable. It just keeps getting better and better. Every time I hear one of those little I4's shrieking down the road I am glad I have a V twin. Nothing against the big bore I4's, I like those. I don't care if a new 600 is faster. It's not the same bike.

Plus the Harley guys know this V twin is nothing to mess with. Oh, and I look cool with a helmet and jacket on.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:44 PM
Back Marker

Nanotech is on a distinguished road
For me, thought I was going to stay I-4....went from a 600F4i to looking for an FZ1 for 2-up with the wife plus a little more comfort and power. Yamaha dealer was out of them and I was feeling a little compulsive. Went down to Honda and saw the SH. It was the coolest sound I'd ever heard, and loved the torque. Bought it then and there. Did buy a GSX-R750 a last month though, and I think if you can have both it is worth it....I love the top end rush and racier feel to everything. That said, after 1000 mi on the 750 without touching the SH and then jumping back on yesterday, I realized just how torquey and comfy the dang thing is! Absolutely amazing how quickly you adapt to a different bike...felt like I'd never ridden it before and was grinning like a kid everytime I let the Jardines breath.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:59 PM
Superstock

kmm996
I had a 1990 Hawk GT and loved the Vtwin powerband. But, I sold it to play with custom trucks. When I decided to buy another bike the VTR was the only choice. You have to look for a V twin sport bike. They're not cookie cutter race reps. They seem to get a little more respect than the I4's. Somebody asked me why I didn't by a CBR or a Gixxer. I told them I didn't want to be like the other 20 bikes in the parking lot. I get a lot of complements on the sound(dual D&D's) and the styling. The twins seem to have an underground "cult" following. And there's just something about Going by a Harley and the do a double take because you're LOUDER than they are. lol
Old 03-14-2007, 03:05 PM
Squid

Gordy is on a distinguished road
Had a 1988 Ducati Paso and like the V twin engine character. The Duc was too hard to get parts for so I sold it and got the Honda. I didn't get another Ducati because they got real expensive and I don't like the Terblanche styling. Sadly Honda has no real commitment to V2 sportbikes so if/ when I change it will be to another brand.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:25 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
My previous road bikes were I-4's and I enjoyed them very much. The problem was that I enjoyed revving them up, too much in fact. IN deciding to get another bike, I decided to look for something different with a more midrange-oriented power delivery. After doing some reading and research, I settled on the VTR. I must confess that I felt it was slow at first as the power delivery is quite different from the frantic rush of an I-4 but I'm used to it now and enjoy the bike a lot.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:36 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
Always had I4 bikes before this. Took it for a test ride and loved the difference right away. Rode other liter size I4's but still preferred the SH - it was a leftover year model and got a good deal. That was 6 years ago and I still love it (though I fantasize about getting a newer GSX750). I agree with Nanotech - if you can afford both that might be the ideal. In fact, I can think of 3 or 4 others I'd like to have......
Old 03-14-2007, 04:08 PM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
I had an '84 VT500 Ascot and a friend had several Hawk GTs - liked the v-twins ever since... Also had inline 4s but the v-twins rock!
Old 03-14-2007, 04:08 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
I'm right there with you cliby! Once you own the best - it's fun to toy with the rest. The problem is there's just only so many hours in the day. I really can't stand opening the shop and forcing myself to ride/drive something just to keep the gas fresh. That defeats the point - at least for us chumps that have to work for a living! I wonder what Jay Leno spends and how many he employs keeping all his horses happy.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:40 PM
Superstock

Verne
It was a round 2000 and was at the gas station getting something to drink on my 600 Katana with a buddy. A couple of other guys pulled up. One of them was on a TL1000R with Yoshi Pipes. As he left and shot flames out the ends I told my buddy I would have one of those.

Started looking around and found the SH and with the weak ankle less shifting is nice too.

Verne
Old 03-14-2007, 05:37 PM
Back Marker

rooster is on a distinguished road
Everyone kept telling me how much fun the Superhawk was on curvy roads. Torque + Handling= Fun. Started reading articles about the bike. There was no one article that said anything bad about the bike (except gas milage). After that, I found some sound clips of the Superhawk; one clip was a fly-by at full song with aftermarket exhaust. Then and there it was the one for me.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:39 PM
Long Member
Back Marker

flyin_hawk is on a distinguished road
I wanted something different. I was deciding b/t the SH, Speed Triple, and Z1000. Liked the look and posture of the Z; the individuality, styling, and posture of the Speed 3; the reliability of the the SH and the sound...Holy crap this thing roars! I have become a big fan of torque! Can't beat the price of a SH and the reliability of Honda. In all honesty, the styling of the SH is a bit bland for me but it fits like a glove and is louder (RT-1s) than most Harleys I've heard. I'm a happy customer . Bring on the warm weather!
Old 03-14-2007, 05:53 PM
Superstock

Birdoprey is an unknown quantity at this point
20 years after I sold my GPZ550 and started behaving, raising kids etc., I started reading magazines and got a good deal on an '86 Kawasaki Concours. 3 years later I was ready for a sport bike. Chose a Superhawk for all the reasons this forum's members state. I was tired of 4 cylinder buzz and even the Concours was too much of a high revving pita. Rode my sons FZR600 for a few months. Not for me. Sold the Concours and bought the wife a used '03 YZF600R. It's nice but still a 6 cyl. and 'only a 600' (I know, it's 60 lbs. heavier and 40 HP down to a new 600. BFD.) Anyway, as the Harley folks say; 'if you have to ask, you wouldn't understand'. We understand but most people never will.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:55 PM
SuperSport

SlowHAWK is an unknown quantity at this point
Wanted a Duc after riding in my friends convertible next to a guy with a 996 with D&D pipes..... (went searching for a 996/748/900ss)... and almost bought a 748, but it needed a little too much work, and when I priced out the parts I quickly realized it's not a bike to tinker with unless you have alot of cash...

The Hawk was the next best thing, sounds unbelievable, and it's a Honda, so I figured it would last forever as well.

J.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:01 PM
Back Marker

supertwinSH is an unknown quantity at this point
My first bike was a 1973 BMW R75/5 bought in 1987 (opposed twin) I was 17 years old and Bikes were just part of our family in Ft. Lauderdale. Mom and Dad and Grandpaw all rode and we did the rallys often (Grandpaw started the family BMW motorcycle dealership in 1959). I moved up to a K75S (three cylinder) in 1988. By 91 I had a K 100 RS (16v) and I thought it couldn't get better than that. I eventually went with a 94 R1100RS (twin) and I realized how much I missed a twin! My first Jap twin was a 01 TL 1000 S and what a machine! Put on some Yosh RS3's and I was turning heads and setting off alarms! Had more power than the hawk, and I think better front forks and brakes. But the hawk is a one of a kind! I get so many complements too! I am keeping this one for ever! Long live the Hawks and this forum!
Old 03-14-2007, 06:29 PM
Back Marker

jamesvtr is on a distinguished road
my buddy bought a tls with yoshi pipes. he came over to show me and the next day i started to look for a twin saw the vtr fell in love and bought one
Old 03-14-2007, 08:41 PM
Back Marker

Nanotech is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by flyin_hawk
I wanted something different. I was deciding b/t the SH, Speed Triple, and Z1000. Liked the look and posture of the Z; the individuality, styling, and posture of the Speed 3; the reliability of the the SH and the sound...Holy crap this thing roars! I have become a big fan of torque! Can't beat the price of a SH and the reliability of Honda. In all honesty, the styling of the SH is a bit bland for me but it fits like a glove and is louder (RT-1s) than most Harleys I've heard. I'm a happy customer . Bring on the warm weather!
That Z1000 is quite the bike...friend has one that I get to ride occasionally. Lots of torque too for an I4, but the thing is so buzzy above 6K (like fall apart buzzy) and almost too upright a position. Plus without the front fairing I feel like there is nothing in front of me. Crazy design too with those pipes and bright orange in '03..

I like the Hawk better though! plus 180 tires are cheaper than the 190...
Old 03-14-2007, 09:50 PM
Back Marker

Dave Wicks is on a distinguished road
Why Superhawk

In 1974 I traded a Honda four for a Norton 850 twin..sound, character, torque..it was an engaging bike. Last fall I traded a Valkyrie cruiser for a Firestorm 996 and a 250 Ninja for the wife. Faster, more polished than the Norton of course..but the charm is similar...I have not felt this level of aniticpation for riding this spring for years...been riding since 1960's...This bike is the real deal...Honda is brain dead not to exploit the potiential of this motor in everything from cruisers to nakeds to going further with the RC 51 line..They kicked Ducati with Colin Edwards on board...It's the engine more than anything else...

Take Care
Dave
Old 03-14-2007, 10:15 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
I'm lovin' this thread. Thanks for all the good reads!

As for the reasons behind my purchase (back in 2004):

1) Wanted to upgrade from the F3. I didn't really want another 600, and was really looking into the GSXR750 or even a thou. A vtwin hadn't really crossed my mind...yet.

2) Great deal from a friend. The bike was MINT before I got my grubby hands on it.

3) A buddy just bought a 996 vtwin (his was a Dewcahtee). Not to be outdone, I had to buy one too. When we were both looking for our previous motorcycles (before the 996cc twins), he ended up with a 2001 R6 back in 2003, and I bought a 1995 F3. I am of the "do more with less" mindset, so I ended up with what was considered a "lesser" vtwin (in terms of pure sporting intent).
Old 03-15-2007, 04:45 AM
Back Marker

vtrgeoff
For me, it was a process of elimination. Remember that this was 1999.

With the exceptions of one year on a 1972 CB750 and a few years on a BSA Rocket 3, all of my street bikes have been Vtwins. My dirt bike was a single.

I had two major herd thinning requirements:

- must be a Vtwin
- no cruisers.

What's left in a Vtwin configuration?

-TL1000 - suspension problems - recalls - crashes - deaths - too many
-Ducati - too maintenance heavy and uncomfortable
-Buell - nope - need a rider, not a bar bike.
-Guzzi - considered, but no dealer w/i 200 miles and my guzzi mech buddy just moved to the left coast. Plus I needed a change...I had been riding a goose for 15 years.
-BuMWad? Nah. Too trendoid and NOT a Vtwin.

Aprillia/KTM/Moto Morini/and any other euro bike - parts/service/reliability issues say nope.

That pretty much left the VTR standing .... and the price was right.

So was the bike - more grins per mile than anything else I've owned (except maybe my XL250) in the last 40 years.

Cheers!

Geoff in Almonte
99VTR
Old 03-15-2007, 05:21 AM
Superstock

Sgt Rock is an unknown quantity at this point
For me I couldn't pass up the price. A guy was hard up for some cash and I picked up my 2000 with 11,000 miles on it for $2800. It came with a Scorpion exhaust, steel lines, facctory jet kit and some other minor odds and ends, turn signals and such. A few years back I briefly owned a SuperHawk and always regretted getting rid of it. Since I've had my SH I haven't looked at another bike. Oh yeah, the sound and low end torque also did it for me. Kinda like playing a game of "Just the Tip" with your wife's twin sister.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:24 AM
Post Whore Junior
MotoGP

Cleveland is on a distinguished road
For me.. I wanted a sportbike, not a cruiser. I was really thinking about a Buell or and RC51, but I just couldnt pull the trigger on either. Then on day while I was sitting in my office, this bike went by... OMG! What a sound!. I jumped up to get a look at it.. There is a motorcycle shop below us, and it was leaving there. I asked the owner "What was that yellow bike that left out of here earlier today... It sounded INCREDIBLE!!!" He told me it was a Superhawk.. lol.. i said "a what? never heard of it".. I was sold on it or a RC51, and was advised that the riding position on the 51 was uncomfortable, and that I would be happier with the Hawk.. so I found one in GA. Drove 6 hrs to get it... Bought it, brought it home, and have had a woody ever since...lol

I really love it. I just wish it had more range (tires and gas), more "bolt on" after market parts available (tail for tucked exhaust).. And I wish that yellow pearl paint wasn't so damn expensive! (lol)
Old 03-15-2007, 10:10 AM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
my last bike was a yamaha seca2. 600cc sport tourer that's a bit of a wuss. I wanted a sportier, more serious bike. I like the vtwin sound, but didn't like the looks of the sv1000, or the tl's. (not a big suzuki fan anyway) rc was out of my league, ducati's were expensive. by the end, I was looking at a buell 900 firebolt, ducati 900ss, and the hawk. stats-wise, the hawk blew the others away. plus honda reliability. I'd wanted a superhawk specifically for about 3 years before I got one. and the only way I'm getting rid of it is if it gets destroyed. then I'll get another one. coming from the wussy i-4, the hawk was quite a handfull at first but now we understand eachother. oh, and just for the record, I know that the sv1000 has a little more hp, but I've ridden them both and I can proudly say that the superhawk is noticably faster throughout the rev range. I don't know why exactly, but I had to put the sv in 5th to reach the same speeds the hawk hits in high 3rd, low 4th. and in less time. the sv with its FI is smoother, but smooth to the point of dull...in comparison. maybe the sv has a higher top speed. I don't know. but between 0-100mph, I pity you sv riders.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:30 AM
Squid

Firehawk_ordie is on a distinguished road
Great forum,
The first time i heard a Superhawk was while attending the local comunity college here in San Diego. The same time every morning the guy would pull in, the funny thing was I would be on the other side of campus (the lot is situated in a small canyon). I went and looked at the bike and decided that that was the best sounding bike i ever heard.
I had been riding an old 1980 XS1100 when it died on me. After a second tour in Iraq (I'm a Navy reservist) I got an R1, great bike I had it for 2 weeks when it was stolen. So after my third time in Iraq I returned with my mind set on another R1 or Superhawk. I found a good deal on a SH, it had Erion pipes and a soon as the guy fired it I wrote the check.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:00 AM
Superstock

RPV-Hawk is on a distinguished road
I really wanted a Duc 996/998. I just couldn't justify the cost of the bike and the cost of parts/maintenance. Then I started looking @ "other" V-Twin sport bikes, and compared the TL-R, TL-S, RC51 and SH. I didn't like the goofy rotary rear damper on the TL's, so That narrowed it down to the RC or SH. I do quite a bit of "distance" riding in addition to track days, so the SH seemed the better choice than the RC51. The fact that the SH was cheaper just sealed the deal.

I still lust after 916/996/998's, and the 1098 is a close behind, but Unless I win the lotto...the SH will fit the bill for me for a long time to come.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:53 PM
Squid

redlinetech is on a distinguished road
I found a wrecked Superhawk for cheap and started doing some research. Found this site and really got a sense of this is the bike for me. Then found the perfect one. 2001, 1800 miles, and mint condition for $3600 buy it now on Ebay. Had to get it. Love this bike.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:23 PM
Squid

gnapoleone is an unknown quantity at this point
I had bought my wife the Hawk GT in '88. I was riding a 900 Ninja back then. I was really impressed with the torque on the Hawk and loved the way it handled. I then saw the SH sitting in the pits at the Superbike races at Phoenix Intl Raceway and it was love at first site. I thought just like hers but BIGGER.....ha
Old 03-15-2007, 05:09 PM
Escape Reality
SuperSport

calitoz is on a distinguished road
I didn't know better. After years of inlines, two strokes, four strokes, 250, 400, 750... this deal came up and I brought one. Who knew she turned out to be such a *****. I was in love. So I got meself another.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:51 PM
Back Marker

timdske is on a distinguished road
I liked the bike the moment I saw my first in '98, but back then I couldn't
afford it. I have had several bikes, still have too many. Well can you ever
have too many? I really like the v-twin sound. I have a Moto Guzzi and
it sounds great, but It's old and is only a 500. I let it sit. My wife let me
get my superhawk this past June. It's by far the best bike I have ever had.
All of my bikes have been Honda's except for my Guzzi.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Reason you bought a Superhawk.