General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

question adverse windscreen effects?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 08:39 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
question adverse windscreen effects?

Having went from the oem windscreen to the double bubble style(raised in the middle) and then back again to oem when it cracked, I'm thankful that I didn't spend a buck on a zero gravity/other that would not have failed. So i'm happy it failed because I never would have been able to see the difference in air flow and its beneficial effect of supporting the body at even relatively low speeds.

I noticed that air flow supports the body more effectively than with the higher, double type screen and this got me thinking about forum members that have complained of wrist pain attributed to angle and weight. I have my clip-ons raised to the tops for the tubes, nubs cut off, and pulled back about 6mm and rarely have weight or tension on the grips. But I noticed that this no weight posture is much facilitated by the oem shield and therefore may relieve symptoms of others with carpal symptoms who may never have to oportunity to revert back and find this out for themselves. At least it's an easily reversible experiment to see if it has similar effects.

I know that a few years ago, I can remember even with the oem shield that I was weighting the wrists because I've managed over years of working in the cold on my truck to smash both thumb-base knuckles to a faily high degree of pain. So what I'm saying is that regardless of shield-type, weighting wrists is a separate issue or habit, however, the oem shield significantly helps hold the body up.

If your using your bike for high speed and want to get down behind the screen, of course the higher screen has aerodynamic advantages, but for daily riding and long range comfort and body support for forward lean, the oem flat shield seems a better option, and especially helpful in maintaining light hands on the controls.

Anyone have opinions on this that may be helpful to those contemplating one of the most common mods to the SH?
Old 04-02-2010, 08:52 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
It all depends on how tall you are and how you sit on the bike. But yes, wind blast is a major support for easing wrist pain.

However, my ZG touring screen is great for me.. I get enough wind blast that my wrists are never tired, even after riding all day, and it keeps enough of the blast off of me that I don't struggle to stay seated nor does my helmet "bob" in the wind.

Each person is going to be different, my screen I got from yruyur because it didn't work well for him at all.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:07 AM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
I've done a ton of miles with the stock screen and with the touring screen. I can tuck behind the stock one, but you have to get way down there.

When riding upright though, I find the wind beating on me to be fatiguing on long rides more than the wrists. I can hold myself up fine using my midsection and just keep light pressure on the grips, or just one hand. Plus it's easier to do a half tuck, or tuck with a tankbag and get some quiet for listening to the radio or using bluetooth.

Another thing that helps with wrist fatique is keep reminding yourself to keep your elbows low. This makes it impossible to put much weight on your wrists and arms. I see so many riders with their elbows up and rigid because they're holding themselves up from the bars.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:09 PM
Superstock

AngryOlaf is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
Another thing that helps with wrist fatique is keep reminding yourself to keep your elbows low. This makes it impossible to put much weight on your wrists and arms. I see so many riders with their elbows up and rigid because they're holding themselves up from the bars.
+1 Great advice.

I try to focus on bent arms and low elbows whenever I ride... It forces you to use your core muscles to hold yourself up, and leaves the arms free to just do what they are supposed to to - steer.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:34 PM
MotoGP

yeah I guess it does depend on size and how the wind hits you, but i was amazed at how the wind holds you up better with the oem shield.. I don't mind the wind hitting my chest, but I have a NOJ quiet rider attached to my helmet, wear earplugs ATT, and keep my jacket zipped up to the top cause of a bee allergy(got stung in the neck at 70mph long ago). Maybe these reduce head buffeting also, but I've had an NOJ attached for approx 10 years now. I'm on my second one so it's been a long tome since I rode without one.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:37 PM
Back Marker

98ILVTR is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nath981
yeah I guess it does depend on size and how the wind hits you, but i was amazed at how the wind holds you up better with the oem shield.. I don't mind the wind hitting my chest, but I have a NOJ quiet rider attached to my helmet, wear earplugs ATT, and keep my jacket zipped up to the top cause of a bee allergy(got stung in the neck at 70mph long ago). Maybe these reduce head buffeting also, but I've had an NOJ attached for approx 10 years now. I'm on my second one so it's been a long tome since I rode without one.
I'm completely opposite; I don't like the buffering wind. I use my core muscles to keep a position, while maintaining bent elbows. I also move around on the bike, so I'm not in one position for long.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:14 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by 98ILVTR
I'm completely opposite; I don't like the buffering wind. I use my core muscles to keep a position, while maintaining bent elbows. I also move around on the bike, so I'm not in one position for long.
+1 on the core muscles. That's a definite in my book too as i have so indicated on several other threads. When I had the bubble on. I never noticed any weight on my wrists. But for the many riders on this forum who have complained of carpal or wrist/back problems attributed to the upper body forward cant, the wind effect could be a mitigating factor that they may never considered. I didn't think about it myself until my bubble type shield cracked and I put the oem shield back on. This stark difference made me aware of the wind benefit that might be helpful for some riders as opposed or possible in conjuncion with more costly alterations like heli bars.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:11 PM
Squid

Whoa Nelly! is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 98ILVTR
+2 on the those core muscles. I leave my Baglux tank cover on all the time, and it's got nice padded bits which make it easy & comfy to grip with your knees. That, the standard screen, and doing a few crunches now & again mean I don't get any problems with my wrists.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:28 PM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
I really like the larger dead air space that the double bubble seems to create over the OEM. I came from riding the CXTurbo for the last 20 years and that fairing is quite large. I'm guessing maybe what your used to. When I first got the Superhawk I was afraid to go over 80 the wind blast was so foreign to me. I've sense gotten used to higher speeds on the Shawk, but I like my double bubble
Old 04-03-2010, 05:45 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Stevebis1
I really like the larger dead air space that the double bubble seems to create over the OEM. I came from riding the CXTurbo for the last 20 years and that fairing is quite large. I'm guessing maybe what your used to. When I first got the Superhawk I was afraid to go over 80 the wind blast was so foreign to me. I've sense gotten used to higher speeds on the Shawk, but I like my double bubble
it's really amazing to read of the differences among riders. Your comments make me think of a couple other factors: 1)When riding in wet conditions, I lean forward til my helmet shield is at the overflow point of the windshield and the air blast clears the helmet shield of water droplets, and this works especially well with rain X on both shields;2)When I get to upper speeds, I put my chin-bar on the tank bag to minimize buffeting. I prefer twisties over high speed except for an occasional blast if I'm on a back road straight, so I try to skew potential driving awards toward winding road antics in lieu of high speed straight line blasts on wider roads. No guarantees of course because the man can be anywhere, but just playing the laws of probability.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:48 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Whoa Nelly!
+2 on the those core muscles. I leave my Baglux tank cover on all the time, and it's got nice padded bits which make it easy & comfy to grip with your knees. That, the standard screen, and doing a few crunches now & again mean I don't get any problems with my wrists.
Oh yeah and welcome to the forum.
Old 04-03-2010, 06:38 PM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
yup, every rider is different.

i prefer oem. i like the wind hitting me in the cheast and helping support my weight. also, i like the "compressed wind blast" coming off the sheild to hit me in the chest, rather than the head.

i noticed this wind blast effect causing a booming effect on the head. i was on a long ride(8 hrs), i sat up straight and my head came out of the wind blast. the reduction in booming noise was amazing. when i got home after that weekend i took the double bubble off and put my oem back on. never looked back.

in the past i have wondered about the noj. i read about it on webbikeworld. it's supposed to reduce the booming noise caused by the area between the helmet and neck.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:05 PM
MotoGP

I had the noj for so long, it's just habit, and when I got a new helmet i got me another, mainly for bee allergy. But now that i have used it for such a long time, I like it and would get one even if. I see they have a winter version now.

With that and the ear plugs, I can still hear voice sounds, but not well, and can hear the great sound of the exhaust without the the wind noise and exhaust doesn't get bothersome after hours on the bike. Can still hear the tinnitus when all else is quiet though, probably the result of too many years of unfettered noise pollution.