General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Which purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 06:24 PM
Squid

pennell is on a distinguished road
Which purchase?

Hey folks. I am new to the superhawk/firestorm world. I currently have two SH's that I went to look at to purchase: one with 36000km bone stock, and the other 82000km with yosh pipes... I will attach both kijiji ads, if I could get any input in which one I should go with, it would be greatly appreciated. Any help on price as well...

Thanks,

Mark Pennell

1998 Honda Firestorm (Super Hawk): Make me an offer! - Halifax Sport Bikes For Sale - Kijiji Halifax Canada.

1998 Honda VTR 1000 Firestorm - Halifax Sport Bikes For Sale - Kijiji Halifax Canada.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:51 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
I would get the one with 82K on it because it has had the CCTs replaced and the top end rebuilt when the original ones let go. Plus you get a set of good pipes.

Though the other one is also a good choice just change the CCTs ASAP if you go with that one.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:00 PM
SuperSport

98VTRrider is on a distinguished road
Like he said...plus it has upgraded front end, and a lot of other new parts.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:14 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
+1 on both above posts.

The tip over damage on the low mileage one offsets the higher mileage on the other, IMO. Then you have the Yosh slip-ons, front end work, and if the top end was done by a reputable shop (check receipts), I'd say done deal.

Enjoy the torque!
Old 05-11-2011, 08:50 PM
Back Marker

slabm7 is on a distinguished road
Agreed! Go with the high miler. Its got alot of miles on it but its a bike that has been taken care of and has alot left in it. You can tell the owner loved that bike. I wouldn't be scared of it.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:29 AM
Squid

Wow guys, I am glad I FINALLLLLY found someone who agrees with me. This guy said he never ever planned on selling the bike so he had all of this work done to keep it going for another few years, but then got a knockout deal on a zx10r that he couldn't pass up. I am just waiting for an email back from him regarding an offer.

Also one more question, how smooth are the gearboxes suppose to be on these bikes? I noticed when I took it for a spin the first to second shift wasn't the most graceful (but wasn't horrible) just figured it was a twin thing where its hard to actually get a point during the shift where there is no compression on the motor? You don't even need brakes with these things there is so much compression. I suppose that point would be during the clutch, or perhaps maybe i need to learn to shift!!! haha
Old 05-12-2011, 05:19 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
The 1st-2nd shift is clunky and will remain so. On the other hand, my bike is coming up on 150,000 km and the tranny has never given me any troubles whatsoever.

Welcome to VTR-land
Old 05-12-2011, 06:57 AM
SuperBike

Old Yeller is on a distinguished road
the price is too high for 82k on the odometer. You can find pretty low mileage examples of these bikes pretty easy. On the other hand, with the damage to the other one, I don't like that price either. I'd pass on both and keep looking.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:02 AM
Banned
MotoGP

Originally Posted by pennell
Wow guys, I am glad I FINALLLLLY found someone who agrees with me. This guy said he never ever planned on selling the bike so he had all of this work done to keep it going for another few years, but then got a knockout deal on a zx10r that he couldn't pass up. I am just waiting for an email back from him regarding an offer.

Also one more question, how smooth are the gearboxes suppose to be on these bikes? I noticed when I took it for a spin the first to second shift wasn't the most graceful (but wasn't horrible) just figured it was a twin thing where its hard to actually get a point during the shift where there is no compression on the motor? You don't even need brakes with these things there is so much compression. I suppose that point would be during the clutch, or perhaps maybe i need to learn to shift!!! haha
Not to start an oil thread....

But if the oil is old the bike will not shift all that well and mine shifts better with some oils than it does with others.

There are also a few adjustment you can make and a member here also make a replacement shift lever which also improves shifting.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:29 AM
Squid

Should I have any concern that the rings would be worn with 82k on it? I guess burning oil would be a warning sign...
Old 05-12-2011, 10:32 AM
Banned
MotoGP

Should I have any concern that the rings would be worn with 82k on it? I guess burning oil would be a warning sign...
Mine has over 130K Kms on it with no issues.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:37 PM
mcg
Squid

mcg is on a distinguished road
Here's a comparison... I bought my 'Storm in Ottawa last fall with 36,000 km and pipes for 1,900. The price caught my eye and I love twins. Man do I LOVE THIS BIKE! Good Luck!
Old 05-12-2011, 06:00 PM
Squid

Well folks I am the new owner of a VTR1000 (higher milage of the two). Thanks for the help everyone!

Last edited by pennell; 05-25-2012 at 11:23 AM.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:06 PM
MotoGP

Congrats!

I imagine you'll spend a lot of time out in the garage tonight.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:47 PM
Mid-level Member
Superstock

fred
outstanding! the maintenance plus the mods (especially front end) make it a nice bike to get. good move.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:56 PM
Squid

Thanks guys. Took it out for a good ride tonight and noticed a couple things.... The rear shock is SUPER soft compared to the new front end work, so its squirrely in the corners. Another things is the when I have the bike on like half throttle it almost seems like its confused and you can feel it throttle up and down ever so slightly... any input? One more thing is that it pops a little bit (almost like a backfire I guess?) here and there... Nothing to serious just things I noticed. I might sync the carbs, perhaps that would fix it?
Old 05-13-2011, 10:23 PM
MotoGP

First check the preload on the shock spring. How much do you weigh? I'm 155, and the stock suspension works fine for me for spirited canyon carving. Input from other members indicates that for non track use, if you're not over 150-160 pounds, the stock suspension is adequate. But heavier riders find the stock suspension too soft. But since the front end has mods, the rear could likely use work to bring it up to the performance of the front.

Next, your bike has slip-ons, but do you know if any carb work has been done? Also, does it have an OEM air filter and an unmodified air box? A K&N type filter, and/or modified air box, presents fueling problems that can be a pain in the ***. A jet kit isn't required to set up the carbs to work great with slip-ons. Mine runs strong and flawlessly all the way through the rev range, from sea level up to 6,000 feet elevation. Check out 8541hawk's thread, "Carb set-up".

And carb farts (intake backfires) are the nature of the big bore V-twin. But proper carb set-up and keeping the carbs clean minimizes that nuisance. And of course a carb sync wouldn't hurt.

Last edited by VTRsurfer; 05-13-2011 at 10:25 PM.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:52 AM
Mid-level Member
Superstock

fred
Thanks guys. Took it out for a good ride tonight and noticed a couple things.... The rear shock is SUPER soft compared to the new front end work, so its squirrely in the corners. Another things is the when I have the bike on like half throttle it almost seems like its confused and you can feel it throttle up and down ever so slightly... any input? One more thing is that it pops a little bit (almost like a backfire I guess?) here and there... Nothing to serious just things I noticed. I might sync the carbs, perhaps that would fix it?
as far as your half-throttle unevenness goes, it could be a number of things. hopefully your airbox is still stock because mods on that just add more fun to the mix.
uneven running at, what, about 5K RPM or any RPM ain't acceptable.
do the easy stuff first. sync the carbs (that's easy if your previous owner added the vacuum hose to make it easy).

i'm kind of surprised that it stutters in the mid-range after all of the maintenance, etc. the PO put into it. i seriously doubt that he'd have put up with that.

was the bike sitting for a long time? if so, then the carbs might have gunk in them. take a look at this thread for easy first-attempt carb cleaning:
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...b-issue-25460/

--fred